• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the most HATED characters?

Which character do you respect the LEAST as a Main?

• Sonic

Votes: 52 32.5%
  • Bayo

Votes: 69 43.1%
  • Cloud

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • Villager

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Duck Hunt

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Little Mac

Votes: 13 8.1%
  • Link

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Toon Link

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • ZSS

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Diddy

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Rosalina

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • Ryu

• Metaknight

• Mega Man

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • DK

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Sheik

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • OTHER

Votes: 33 20.6%

• Total voters

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
So I've been a long time Melee fan and am trying to get more into competitive Sm4sh. Some characters are super boring to watch. I roll my eyes every time I see someone pick Sonic or Villager among a few others. I've noticed smaller tourneys like sm4sh at Xanadu and weeklies the chat just hates certain characters showing up in the tournament. Either for the character's boring play style, "lack of skill" required to play, or how high on the tier list that character is considered.

I ask mostly bc I've been playing more and more Marth bc I enjoy playing Marth in melee, brawl, pm, and sm4sh. I just like his play style in every smash. But I play a little Cloud and I kinda feel like Cloud's a better character but it feels like everyone plays Cloud and bc he's relatively "easy" people dislike his existence. (For the record I main Sheik but my Cloud is arguably better, but at the same time I enjoy playing Marth more than Cloud. I genuinely want to dual main Sheik/Marth and don't wanna be just another Cloud.)

So I'm just wondering what are the characters that like if I walked up to you and said "I main *insert character*" you'd roll your eyes at me and why? Like which character would make you think less of me as a person for maining?

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Hrmm the reason most people dislike cloud is that there are literally a million people playing him because they think he's 'easy'.
Another character that gets a ton of flak is bayonetta for similar reasons even though she's harder to use it seems like a ton of people use her. I myself don't have a particular hatred towards any character.
Hate is a strong word anyways but dislike is more apt.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I'm convinced that Sonic mains all hail from the deepest, darkest parts of the underworld.

UpsettedFizz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Defender5X
You might've heard of a variation of the drinking game, "every time a Sonic player presses the B button, take a shot"

Really though, every time I face a Sonic, it's the same thing. Side B to approach, if it connects, string it into an up air, repeat until I'm at a high enough percent to get launched off-stage from it, then proceed to try to gimp me with the spring from his up B every time I'm launched. Gets annoying and is really boring to play like this.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Yeah...:4bayonetta: and :4cloud: are being looked down on. The Umbra Witch with her unparalleled punishment game with Witch Time and her menacing zero-deaths that everyone's scared of. Master Cloud, I don't know...it is my opinion he sort of carries :metaknight:'s legacy with that perceived low learning curve, high speed, KO potential, cloying dominance and ****. Nevertheless, these guys ain't breaking my spirit no matter how much of a pain they are to fight against.

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
There's a few I despise to see; however in the end it's really how the player plays the character.

:4cloud:/:4cloud2:
With Cloud, there's just so many of them on For Glory. A lot of them can be really bad too. I'm talking rolling everywhere and refusing to approach until they have their Limit fully charged. Just roll, neutral B, charge, repeat. Some of them also try way to hard to use Finishing Touch, and a lot of them use it stupidly (had one attempt to use it when I was at 0%... As King Dedede)

Unless a Cloud proves to me in the match he's not one of those idiots I tend to really hate them because of their habits.

:4link:/:4tlink:/:4samus:/:4villager:/:4villagerf:
With these characters specifically, a lot of them on For Glory just have the absolute worst habit of just rolling absolutely everywhere at all times. Couple that with their "LOL, I'm never gonna approach cause projectiles" tactic and you would have a justified reason for hating them. But it's the same thing with Cloud. If they prove to me they aren't idiots I can't hate them.

It's insanely rare but I have been fortunate enough to meet good Samus/Link players who didn't have to rely on such things, and they're living proof that that's not all that specific character can do. Too bad the majority of their players are just really bad...

:4sonic:
Thank GOD I never really encounter Sonic players anymore. It's been so long since I seen one and I hope this continues. All they do is spin all over the place even if it's clear it's not working. Matches with Sonic players are just absolutely boring because of this. They don't do anything different. Just keep spinning, just keep spinning, just keep spinning, just keep spinning.........

In short, a few of them may make me cringe or think "Oh no, THIS again" but in the end if the player shocks me by breaking the mold of what is typical of the character I can't really find my hate for them. I actually start enjoying facing them just a little bit.

... Until you know, they leave and I find one that's a complete idiot again.

Cyro_

Smash Cadet
:4sonic: Boring to fight and always doing the same thing over and over.
:rosalina: Luma.... Also I worked hard on charging my Aura Sphere and you wanna take it away just like that?

:4cloud2: Limit Break and up air spam.

Just to clarify I don't hate people who main these characters, I'd never hate someone because of their character as it's childish. Just tired of every Cloud running till they get limit and ect. Of course not all Cloud's play like this and not all Sonic's do the same thing either it's just very rare to see uniqueness with them.

Last edited:

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
The only character I dislike to to fight is Sonic. The keep away game, and everything just looks the same. It's boring to watch and boring to play.

I actively enjoy fighting Bayonetta, especially as Marth or Ike. I feel they get a lot off grabs and this is a strong counter to Bayo. As Cloud tho, she is a nightmare to deal with.

Fighting Clouds are either very easy, or a difficult challenge, but not usually in between. He's not exactly brain-dead to play. If you don't mix up your options it becomes a wait and punish game against him.

As far as the rest of the cast goes, Villager, Link, Toon Link, Samus, ZSS, and Duck Hunt used to give me big troubles. But I learned the matchup and find them just fine now.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
:4bayonetta:: "WITCH TIME!" -______________-
:4dedede:/ :4duckhunt: / :4link: / :4pacman:/ :4robinm: / :4samus:: Out of all these ledge campers, the only one that actually played good was :4link:. That's not even saying much considering those type of players are rare.
:4ness:: ... ... ... Yeah that's just self explanatory.
:4falco::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4zelda:: "TIER *****, CHEAP, USE REAL CHARACTERS, KYS" What's that? You think you deserve sympathy just because you main a bottom level character? That's not how it works. You choose to fight me with those characters, so expect the consequences. >_>
:4lucina::4marth:: None of the above can compare to the players that automatically switch to your main after they won the first round. Extremely frustrating to lose to these characters the second round, but that's also why I have :4bowser: and :4link: to shut them down the third round while they didn't change characters.

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
What I'm kinda gathering are similar to my own thoughts. That projectile based characters it really depends on how they are played. If they sit back and spam projectiles and rolls it's pretty annoying. But if played to their potential and if they actually approach it isn't terrible. :4bayonetta: is kinda witch time seems by far the best counter in a game where half the roster have a counter and her's is pretty unfair. You get a free hit or two then a smash attack of your choosing for free. I have mixed feelings on :4cloud: bc if he's played like marth it's not bad but people played scared without limit then do everything in their power to not have to use limit to recover so the same player plays completely differently in the match where they are hyper aggressive or hyper passive. The only character I genuinely hate is :4sonic: bc of all the same reasons others have said. I think he's boring to play as, boring to play against and since he's the fastest character you are forced to play his game. Shield his attacks then punish out of shield over and over. I don't find the sonic MU difificult I simply find it boring. Good input all around everyone.

Cyro_

Smash Cadet
:4ness:: ... ... ... Yeah that's just self explanatory.
You mean the truest combo of them all? You can't be talking about the legendary PK Fire spam into F-Smash cancer true combo. Oh and back throw KO into taunt.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Bayo and Cloud. Sonic/Rosa used to get a lot of hate but they have been slipping a bit in the meta it seems so people don't hate them as much. (well maybe not Rosa now after her strong showing at Civil War/Frostbite).

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
You mean the truest combo of them all? You can't be talking about the legendary PK Fire spam into F-Smash cancer true combo. Oh and back throw KO into taunt.
I'd say a pretty mixture of both. Perhaps probably even worse those two. They're still there nonetheless.

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
Freaking Cloud close to every one in my gosh darn school uses him and I can't beat him with my main or my pockets.

Cyro_

Smash Cadet
Freaking Cloud close to every one in my gosh darn school uses him and I can't beat him with my main or my pockets.
Quick tip just in case, force him to use his limit on a recovery if you can. He loses a lot of pressure that way.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Quick tip just in case, force him to use his limit on a recovery if you can. He loses a lot of pressure that way.
Easier said than done, because it's apparently an unwritten rule that all For Glory Clouds must have a 1-bar connection.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Easily Knuckles, he takes 0 skill, all you have to do is glide and spam D-air to win, he's so stupid that it's not even been a day since he came out and yet the winners of Apex 2017, EVO 2017, AND 2GGC: Civil War 2 all used Knuckles, he's clearly rougher than the rest of them to an unfair degree.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Easily Knuckles, he takes 0 skill, all you have to do is glide and spam D-air to win, he's so stupid that it's not even been a day since he came out and yet the winners of Apex 2017, EVO 2017, AND 2GGC: Civil War 2 all used Knuckles, he's clearly rougher than the rest of them to an unfair degree.
I agree, Knuckles is the character that makes me NOT chuckle.

SuperSmasherFan

Smash Cadet
Believe it or not your not necessarily a good smash player just because you have a skilled cloud, because everyone has a pocket cloud.
Sonic (duh)
Link- Dash attack, arrow, boomerang, up smash, side smash, up smash, side smash, dash attack, boomerang, rinse and repeat.
Bowser- Landing to the stage with down b is NOT in fact a safe option, and I am going to punish you for doing it. Plus, side smash is not spammable. I will punish that too.

Alexis357

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alexis357
3DS FC
4210-4531-2184
I don't understand why people find :4cloud: so annoying to fight, I find that he appears less often in For Glory than before, he was so much played during a time that learning the matchup became an obligation.

Yes, you need a lot of patience, Cloud could almost be a zone-breaker, but he focus more on zoning and hit & run just like pressurers can do. Once you know how to exploits his weakness, the fight become fun, and you can feel pretty satisfied to know you've beaten one of the best characters in the game.

His up air is his most hated move, but for me, his neutral air is way more annoying than anything else, it's fast and long-ranged, Shulk got scammed on this.

I guess that an annoying character is a character that has a good matchup against you, but yes, I admit that no matter which character I was playing, I had some hate on some characters during a time (:rosalina:, :4rob:, :4lucas: ), but that's not the case anymore. :)

Javytsunami

Smash Rookie
NNID
ShortBloom
3DS FC
2767-3081-6477
Switch FC
SW 4759 1640 0993
I don't hate Cloud, I just find him very easy to learn and get good with. We need characters like him Smash, or else there would be no new players. What I don't appreciate is all the spammers in For Glory that are good enough to move away from Cloud but don't.

SuperSmasherFan

Smash Cadet
I don't understand why people find :4cloud: so annoying to fight, I find that he appears less often in For Glory than before, he was so much played during a time that learning the matchup became an obligation.

Yes, you need a lot of patience, Cloud could almost be a zone-breaker, but he focus more on zoning and hit & run just like pressurers can do. Once you know how to exploits his weakness, the fight become fun, and you can feel pretty satisfied to know you've beaten one of the best characters in the game.

His up air is his most hated move, but for me, his neutral air is way more annoying than anything else, it's fast and long-ranged, Shulk got scammed on this.

I guess that an annoying character is a character that has a good matchup against you, but yes, I admit that no matter which character I was playing, I had some hate on some characters during a time (:rosalina:, :4rob:, :4lucas: ), but that's not the case anymore. :)
Ok I should say I don't hate cloud. I like playing Cloud, but I'm sick and tired of less skilled players using cloud as easy access to high tierdom. They use him like a crutch, and it just gives them way easier wins than say playing with, Ryu or Sheik.

Last edited:

Alexis357

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alexis357
3DS FC
4210-4531-2184
Ah yes ! I understand now.

I remember when I bought Cloud (The only DLC character I actually have), damn ... It was so easy to use him, I felt almost guilty because of how easy he was to play (except for his aerial maniability that I can't support) then I was already a good player, so I didn't choose him a lot on For Glory. I decided to use him only on friendlies.

Yes, a new player using Cloud can beat a good player, and even feel strong etc ... But it's a way to become even better, or if you win, to show to your opponent that Cloud isn't that great.

I'm not sure that every characters should be easy to play, as I second Wario (having a quite high learning curve) and almost main him, I can say that I love the challenge to play hard and the reward is often satisfying.

For sure it sounds fun to have a lot of easy characters, but we have already a decent number of them, making the concept of character mastery more wide with the rest of the cast.

Probably that more the character has reputation and more he will be easy to play.
What happened for Cloud was probably a strategy to appeal new players that like the Final Fantasy series but absolutely couldn't trust the gameplay of Smash.

For :4bayonetta:, I think it's another case, she is harder to play than Cloud despite being popular, but it comes from her fighter design, almost traced from her original game.

SuperSmasherFan

Smash Cadet
Those are all great options in every situation, but the best option truly is to change use his amazing dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > dtilt > *opponent quits* combo.

See? It worked!

D

Deleted member

Most of the top/high tiers, as well as Bowser and Little Mac.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
From what I have seen Bayonetta is #1 easily, that said people need to stop being rude and awful to people who main this character. I don't play her myself but those players do not deserve the awful behavior that has been directed at them, that needs to stop.

NWay

Smash Rookie
The way I see it, people need to get off their high horses. Is it so terrible that less skilled players can use characters that let them compete with more skilled players? If you're so skilled then it shouldn't matter just beat them, and if you can't, then I guess you're not as skilled as you thought. Learn how to be humble, it is a game. The best player in the world could still loose, that's just part of the game, but when you start dividing people based on your definition of "skill" it limits your out look on things. Just play the game, have fun, and stop whining.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
From what I have seen Bayonetta is #1 easily, that said people need to stop being rude and awful to people who main this character. I don't play her myself but those players do not deserve the awful behavior that has been directed at them, that needs to stop.
Exactly.

That hate and awfulness should be reserved for Sonic players only.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
The only Smash Bros. character I don't like is Pokemon Trainer, but he isn't playable in the 3DS/Wii U installments.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I delight in the fact that there are a couple who don't like Samus. Also mentioning Ness is good. If back throw is a problem, do something about it. I can survive it.

Bayonetta receives "The Greatest Contempt" trophy from me. I would have given this trophy its more offensive, yet appropriate name, but I'd probably get infracted, if not outright banned. Anyone who likes to make portmanteaus should get the idea.

Pillowpet

Smash Apprentice
Well since I usually play :4dk: it's annoying to fight :4villager: because that slingshot hits you 90% of the time because of DK's massive hit box. :4wiifit::4wiifitm: :4villager: Are annoying because they can ledge stall and shoot projectiles at you which can be somewhat hard to deal with for certain characters

SuperSmasherFan

Smash Cadet
The way I see it, people need to get off their high horses. Is it so terrible that less skilled players can use characters that let them compete with more skilled players? If you're so skilled then it shouldn't matter just beat them, and if you can't, then I guess you're not as skilled as you thought. Learn how to be humble, it is a game. The best player in the world could still loose, that's just part of the game, but when you start dividing people based on your definition of "skill" it limits your out look on things. Just play the game, have fun, and stop whining.
Yo chill.
I like cloud. I love the game. I'm not super skilled, and I'm man enough to admit that. However, Cloud is kind of like a crutch and that's all that bothers me. I'm not complaining, I'm just annoyed. You know what though? If a cloud is good enough and I can tell it's the player who's good and not just cloud, then I respect that player. I respect any player who is genuinely better than me, but a lot of clouds who beat me aren't really better than me, they just use cloud.

Kulty

Smash Ace
It really makes me tilted and sad that:4sonic:(who's literally my favorite video game character alongside:4mario:) gets a lot of hate not just from the Smash community, but also in gaming communities. Seriously, this character can't catch a break. Anyways, in Smash, I can understand why Sonic is a character that almost everyone dislikes due to how annoying he is to fight. In the gaming community, I can understand that people may not like Sonic games due to them being kinda bad (not all of them imo). However, what really bothers me is to hate someone who uses a character that you dislike a lot. As such, I feel bad for Sonic players, because every time they play this character, they will get a ton of hate, even cool players like SGK, 6WX and Meteor.

As for me, I don't really hate any character in the game besides one that is to me the definition of cancer. There are some characters I dislike, but nowhere near as this one character. No, it's not Sonic like I just mentioned above, not:4cloud:(I actually like this character despite him being common), not:rosalina:(she's like one of my favorite Mario characters ever and I really do like how players like Dabuz uses her. Have a ton of respect for this man), not:4bayonetta:(while she may be annoying, she's not that bad of a character once you know how to exploit her weaknesses) and not any characters mentioned in the poll. I actually really despise:4olimar:. No offense to Olimar mains, but I feel he's a lot more annoying than Sonic and any other character in the game. His Pikmin noises are irritating to hear, he has the most boring playstyle I've ever seen in a fighting game and he's the most boring character to watch. I would rather watch a Sonic, a Rosa, a Cloud or even Bayo over any Olimar. He's just that uninteresting and I hate everything about him. However, I still do respect Olimar mains and if they like him, I have no problem with that. He's the only character that I dare not to touch when I play Smash for fun. I don't have a problem playing characters that I dislike even on Random, but if I have Olimar, I automatically forfeit the game or just press L+R+A+Start to quit. That's just my take on the subject. I'm not going to dislike you just because you play Olimar. xD

SuperSmasherFan

Smash Cadet
It really makes me tilted and sad that:4sonic:(who's literally my favorite video game character alongside:4mario:) gets a lot of hate not just from the Smash community, but also in gaming communities. Seriously, this character can't catch a break. Anyways, in Smash, I can understand why Sonic is a character that almost everyone dislikes due to how annoying he is to fight. In the gaming community, I can understand that people may not like Sonic games due to them being kinda bad (not all of them imo). However, what really bothers me is to hate someone who uses a character that you dislike a lot. As such, I feel bad for Sonic players, because every time they play this character, they will get a ton of hate, even cool players like SGK, 6WX and Meteor.

As for me, I don't really hate any character in the game besides one that is to me the definition of cancer. There are some characters I dislike, but nowhere near as this one character. No, it's not Sonic like I just mentioned above, not:4cloud:(I actually like this character despite him being common), not:rosalina:(she's like one of my favorite Mario characters ever and I really do like how players like Dabuz uses her. Have a ton of respect for this man), not:4bayonetta:(while she may be annoying, she's not that bad of a character once you know how to exploit her weaknesses) and not any characters mentioned in the poll. I actually really despise:4olimar:. No offense to Olimar mains, but I feel he's a lot more annoying than Sonic and any other character in the game. His Pikmin noises are irritating to hear, he has the most boring playstyle I've ever seen in a fighting game and he's the most boring character to watch. I would rather watch a Sonic, a Rosa, a Cloud or even Bayo over any Olimar. He's just that uninteresting and I hate everything about him. However, I still do respect Olimar mains and if they like him, I have no problem with that. He's the only character that I dare not to touch when I play Smash for fun. I don't have a problem playing characters that I dislike even on Random, but if I have Olimar, I automatically forfeit the game or just press L+R+A+Start to quit. That's just my take on the subject. I'm not going to dislike you just because you play Olimar. xD
I'm sorry you feel that way. I personally love olimar. :sheep:

Kulty

Smash Ace
I'm sorry you feel that way. I personally love olimar. :sheep:
I'm glad you really like this character. You're seeing something that I don't, and that's perfectly fine for me. I really don't want to dislike any character in Smash 4, but Olimar just seems to be that one character that I absolutely dislike. And thank god I feel this way with like one character out of 58. But I'm curious. Why do you like Olimar? I'm interested to hear what people say about him.

Ryuphoton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuphoton
3DS FC
2552-4567-9907
I personally have had not much of a problem with Sonic, most likely because where I live no one plays him. The character I do have a intense dislike towards however is Corrin. The range, the counter (when it hits, of course), the hard-ish to contest recovery... Ugh, feels bad, man... Maybe I am just bad vs Corrin, but jeez, everything that annoys me in a character seems to be all within Corrin's move-set in one way or another.

SuperSmasherFan

Smash Cadet
I'm glad you really like this character. You're seeing something that I don't, and that's perfectly fine for me. I really don't want to dislike any character in Smash 4, but Olimar just seems to be that one character that I absolutely dislike. And thank god I feel this way with like one character out of 58. But I'm curious. Why do you like Olimar? I'm interested to hear what people say about him.
I like olimar for many reasons.
1. I love the pikmin games.
2. He's so diverse compared to any other character. Olimar can do a little of everything, so I find watching olimar to be really fun because they all play different.
3. I kind of like the micro management he has. It's nice having a pikmin for any situation, and it makes me feel like if I lost a fight, it was genuinely my fault because I didn't micro manage correctly.
4. No one knows how to deal with a good olimar, so it's fun to mess with them. Lol

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
:4cloud: and :4bayonetta: for reasons that others have already said. :4villager: because most of them I fight just spam projectiles all day and night. :4sonic: because most of them that I fight just do the same moves over and over and that gets stale. No other characters annoys me... consistently.

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice
I mainly hate fighting campy :4sonic: and actually skilled :4bayonetta: because I always see trashy ones on For Glory and neevr get the chance to learn how to beat skilled :4bayonetta:.

Top Bottom