• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the most agonizing/amazing experiences you've ever had in Pokémon?

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
Best moment: When I beated Soulsilver. SoulSilver was easily the hardest Pokemon game I've ever played and beated. I felt some Gym Leaders have some pretty nasty difficulty spikes and ways to gain a lot of experience is pretty limited, making my team quite unprepared in many cases. The fact that my team was also lacking in the speed department did not help. Many revives and potions were used, many times I restarted my game just so I could have one more try, and so much blood, sweat, and tears were had. And of course, I can't forget about the Elite Four. I'm looking at you, Lance and your 3 Dragonites. His LV. 50 Dragonite versus my LV. 45 Umbreon was one of the most intense, yet hilarious Pokemon battles I've ever had. Every time he used a certain move (I forgot), it lowered his Special Attack and another move made him confused afterwards. Thankfully, my Umbreon is able to take a lot of damage. The Dragonite kept using the move and his Special Attack continued to shrink, to the point where a beam of death was like a scratch to Umbreon. And every time my Umbreon is low on health, all I have to do is give her a Hyper Potion and bam! Problem solved! Umbreon kept wailing at the Dragonite, despite her lackluster Attack stat, as the Dragonite tried to get a hold of itself but the confusion was preventing him otherwise until one final Faint Attack sent that Dragonite back to the Pokemon Center. Soulsilver can be quite frustrating, but once you overcome the challenges it feels so good. At least, in my opnion.

Worst moment: Trying to catch Entei and Raikou in Soulsilver. These two are a nightmare to catch and especially to find. Every time I try to catch them, I pray to god they don't use the move Roar so that they can escape and I have to spend another hour trying to get them in the place I want them to be. I never want to experience something like this ever again.

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
Best moment has got to be when I sat with my friends in the classroom, playing Crystal on an emulator on my iPad. I was battling Whitney, and had wiped out her entire team except Miltank. As I predicted, her Miltank would wipe out my entire team with stomp
and milk drink. I was down to my highest leveled Pokemon, a level 21 Snubull. My friends watched me, the local Pokemon champ about to be beaten by a mere gym leader. Before Miltank used stomp I remember saying: "That's going to leave me at 1HP". And it did. And right as I was about to use my attack I said: "Pretty sure it's going to crit and take Miltank down". And it actully did. My friends stared at my iPad in awe, before proceeding to call me a sweaty nerd. Still gives me shivers to this day.

The worst moment was without a doubt some months after D/P was released. My friend had received an Action Replay as a birthday gift, and half the class was going to his house after school to borrow it. I got the shiny Pokemon hack on my DS, and we agreed to never turn our DS'es off so we wouldn't loose our hacks. After a while I got used to only encountering shiny Pokemon, and after about 3 weeks I turned my DS off, forgetting that I'd loose my shiny hack. I turned on the DS the day after, and proceeded to encounter a shiny Shinx. Took it down as usual, before realizing I had wiped out a legit shiny.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
First time I beat Platinum was amazing. I had a team filled with some of my favourite Pokemon of all time and fought through Cynthia's onslaught.

I for one loved the new evolutions - Magnezone in particular.

PinballWizard00

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pinballwizard00
3DS FC
3325-1688-9149
Worst: The moments when the A.I. uses detect at least three times in a row and works, but when I try to use detect at least twice in a row, it doesn't work.

Best: Managing to find two shinies in the wild without chaining in two different games. My first being Magikarp in Soulsilver and a Lickitung in Y.

Last edited:

IronicPomegranate

Smash Rookie
Agonizing: My first Pearl playthrough is absolutely agonizing to look back on.

I killed every legendary except for Mesprit and Cresselia, both of which I never caught

I used my Master Ball on a Steelix because he broke free from an Ultra Ball once when I first tried to catch one

I also lost both shiny Wooper and Quagsire to the Great Marsh

In another playthrough, I was in the Battle Tower against a Fearow who had their Focus Band activate 4-5 times when it was at 1 HP, effectively making it invincible (for those who don't remember, Focus Band is like a Focus Sash that has a 10% chance of activating, but doesn't require the user to be at full health.

Best: I was against Cynthia in my latest playthrough of Pearl, and her Garchomp was her last Pokemon. He could kill any of my level 46-53 Pokemon in one hit with one hit, except for Torterra if he used Brick Break. I was spamming Revives waiting for an opening where I could attack, and he used Giga Impact on my Crobat. I sent out my Torterra and revived another pokemon, but I had a chance to attack because he had to recharge. I used wood hammer and got him to low health, and he used Brick Break and didn't kill Torterra, so I had a chance to use another wood hammer and win!

A Very Nice Dishwasher

Smash Apprentice
Best: I was screwing around on Wonder Trade, and at one point I got a Shiny Fennekin. I didn't realize at the time, so I decided to trade it again. Only just as I get a partner do I realize it's a Shiny. What do I get back? Oh, nothing special, just a SHINY 6IV TIMID MANAPHY.

Worst: Also from Wonder Trade. I got a Greninja. I already had a Greninja, so I traded it again. Only while waiting for a partner do I realize it has Pokérus and Protean. The trade happens. I get Bidoof. BIDOOF. If that doesn't count, probably finding a Shiny Skorupi in the Great Marsh JUST AS TIME RAN OUT. :mad::mad::mad::mad088:

Last edited:

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
I reset my copy of Black, only to remember that my first and only shiny was on that save file.

RIP shiny Daramuka

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
Worst: Applies to any Pokemon game, when you're just so eager to explore the world you don't feel like grinding and you're doing fine with all the gyms and then you have to go back and grind when you realize you're 20 levels under in victory road

Best: Was playing Pokemon Red, found a Clefairy in the first random battle of Mt.Moon, immediately throw Pokeball, catch it. I played it years after release though so I suspect the encounter/catch rate had been glitched to crap, but it was still awesome.

Worst: Discovering that at least four of my shinies weren't actually legit after seeing what Poke Balls they had. (Blastoise and Heavy Ball, Turtwig and Dream Ball, Zangoose and Moon Ball, Pawniard and Moon Ball).

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Worst: Discovering that at least four of my shinies weren't actually legit after seeing what Poke Balls they had. (Blastoise and Heavy Ball, Turtwig and Dream Ball, Zangoose and Moon Ball, Pawniard and Moon Ball).
Did you get them from wonder trade?

Moorthen

Smash Apprentice
Worst: When I was little, I fainted Rayquaza in the original Sapphire and accidentally saved after the fact. Now, this was back before you could catch Legendaries again. So, I had to start my entire game over. Ah, the pain of realizing my mistake. I still can't remember why I did that. I must've forgotten that I had fainted it. I am so glad they added the feature of Legendaries reappearing after you faint them.

Best: I don't really know. Probably finally getting a Jirachi. It's been my favorite Pokémon since I started playing, so I'm happy that I could finally get it in Gen 6 thanks to Wi-Fi.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
Worst: This is second hand, but apparently my friend had a copy of Yellow that was so ****ed up the only sprite that would appear in battle was Professor Oak, at least for the Pokemon.

Last edited:

A Very Nice Dishwasher

Smash Apprentice
I have another awesome moment: Beating Whitney in HeartGold, using only my Raticate. What I did was set up 3 Swords Dances on her Clefairy, who somehow had the worst luck ever with Metronome, getting, in order: Absorb, Constrict, and Toxic. Toxic activated Raticate's Guts ability, allowing him to easily OHKO both Clefairy and Miltank with Hyper Fang.

EDIT: Yet another one just happened. I found a Shiny Doduo while looking for a Minun for my living dex in Y. My second legit Shiny. Not bad competitively, either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom