• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the chances of a Mortal Kombat character making the cut

D

Deleted member

I personally believe this is unlikely. Mortal Kombat's stabbing and stuff would be hard to implement into a game, plus Mortal Kombat is an American company. All the past companies we've seen are Japanese, or at least sell games in Japan. Also, it would likely be harder to create air attacks for the characters than, say, Little Mac. But that's just me. What do you all think?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Diehard MK fan here, but the chances are pretty low. Outside of on PC, Japan apparently doesn't allow games that violent even if the series does have some fans over there, which is a major blow to MK getting more exposure despite Mortal Kombat 11 being on the Switch.

The most iconic character Scorpion, would be easy and simple to make workable for Smash, whose been able to work when toned down. Not sure where you're coming from on the air attacks though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Extremely low. Not just because it's a Western IP(which only hurts its chances, as Sakurai has to deal with language barriers), but because it's a literally banned series in Japan. For Nintendo, that's something they'd rather avoid since by design, any 3rd party DLC essentially will be promoting their own series. Not that they're added for the sake of promotion, it's just a consequence of how it is.

That said, Ridley already proves that having a violent character is fine. As long as it doesn't have blood or gore, it's all good. Also, MK isn't unpopular in Japan, it's just hard to gather fans due to almost every game being banned due to their views on extreme violence. Which could easily mean Sakurai would avoid looking at the series too. Mind you, there's games like Injustice that shows the characters can work fine, so it's not like making them feel faithful without changing the ratings is an issue in itself. So basically, the thing that isn't an issue, really, is making the character fit in.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Yeah, MK games dont officially release in Japan. There seems to be a following, since they import other versions to play on their systems, and there are japanese MK videos with a ton of views. But since there arent official releases, I dont think Nintendo Japan would even consider it. MK is an extremely historic franchise, moreso than even Street Fighter I'd argue, but sadly I doubt its happening.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm just being realistic. I want Scorpion in too(not as much as some others). The thing is, MK characters don't even do that many aerial moves. It's not exactly hard to fill out the attacks as is.

For that matter, what makes the Spear different from the Hookshot? The idea it has to be bloody violence when it's just a feature of the MK games, not necessarily how they're represented otherwise. Even then, there's many MK games which have a No Blood option, including some Nintendo ones. It's quite doable. In the case of Scorpion, he has had weapons throughout the years. He's has swords, axes, and the usage of his spear like a kunai alone. It's not all that hard to make a pleasing moveset. His Aerials could simply consist of a forward overhead punch[Forward Air](similar to Ganondorf's, Mario's, and Dr. Mario's), his usual aerial kick that many characters had in the past[Neutral Air], and then you have things like swinging his sword upwards in an arc(not unlike what a lot of Fire Emblem characters do)[Up Air], a simple backhanded punch[Back Air] which could be a reversal of his Teleport Punch. So that leaves a Down Air. One option is using his Spear as a Meteor Smash, which would have low range but be extremely effective in its knockback in return.

Another important thing lately is the Combo Breaker. Though that could be his Throw button while used in the air, especially if his Up B is a variant of his Teleport Punch(and that punch could be more similar to the Cyber Ninjas). It ultimately depends upon how you go through the Specials, as he has a lot of abilities. Though his Down B could be a counter version of his Teleport Punch instead, which would basically be similar to Lucario's Counter, but he'd teleport around instead of simply creating a double team.

And that's just one of many characters. All kinds of MK characters have way different moves. You could use a similar mold for a counter move for different ones. Like Sub-Zero's ice clone to freeze someone temporarily instead.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...If you want to joke about my profile, either be more specific or just write on my profile itself. It's honestly off-topic and I had no clue what you meant.

But for the record, I love his Captain N design and I honestly love the show. He's vastly inaccurate, but I honestly still found it interesting because he it gave a good foil to Kevin Keene who was already a bit too perfect as a hero. We needed a bumbler who showed the everyman, someone who has to learn to become better. Simon actually got development and became more courageous throughout, having quite a good showing in Season 3. I think he could've grown slightly faster, but he grew at a realistic rate regardless. An issue is that character development a lot of times is rushed among stories. People don't change that fast. It takes times. If the series went further with more episodes, him feeling closer to his canon self would've worked out better.

Top Bottom