• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the best strategies vs Level 9 CPUs?

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
I can easily beat lvl 8 CPUs, but level 9's usually tear me up. The main issue seems to be their absolutely perfect air dodging. What are some good strategies and techniques to beat these guys?

11wildy

Smash Rookie
Don't play offensive, but rather make them attack. They respond to your attacks and block with perfect timing, so if you don't do anything, they will attack you, often in a NON-safe way, allowing you to punish.

Galm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEvilLemon
Frame trapping. The AI will almost always airdoge or avoid your attacks, so you can predict that and punish while they're still dodging. For example, throw out a fast move against a landing opponent. They will airdodge, and you can attack during the landing lag.

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
Level 9s dodge almost all attacks that come out blindly and normally. I would recommend playing it defensive while keeping a sharp eye for openings. If you really want to take the easy way, then just spam a counter move whenever you spot a incoming attack. Moves that come out on frame 1-3 are a big help as well.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
just don't play against computers

Just sit back and punish them, they shut down most approaches because of the perfect shielding and airdodging.

BlueDaruma888

Smash Cadet
Punishing is really the best way to fight against level 9s; properly space, wait until they throw out a move, and retaliate. Depending on the moveset of the computer, some of them may be easier to exploit than others. For me anyway, characters with counters can be tricky to fight (Little Mac really comes to mind), as opposed to Ness/ Lucas and Fox/ Falco, who will try to hit you with PK Thunder 2 and Fire Fox/ Bird at least once every few second while they're on stage.

Lazerpants

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lazerpants
fighting cpus isn't an ideal thing to do, but if you have to, just play defensively because if you don't, you're gonna get punished because they can read your inputs.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Is there a thread or post that has information on what level 9 CPUs can do that human players normally don't, specifically to what they do in Smash4?

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
lvl 9 cpus can only do combos that were designed into the game (ie: luigi's throw combos). they learn from your patterns and habits, but nothing too complex. They also don't understand the difference between safe and unsafe moves. They don't understand spacing, camping, strategy, set-ups, traps, and gimping just to name a few. basically the only difference between a level 1 cpu and a level 9 cpu is reaction time (also lvl 9s are more aggressive). stronger cpus have better reaction time, and level 9 cpus have near frame perfect reaction time. this is their one and only advantage over humans. A cpu will never needles > bouncing fish you, but for some reason it will 100% always airdodge your moves. it doesnt really make sense, but its honestly just a lazy way to program difficult cpu opponents. rather than giving them real skill, they just give them ridiculous reaction time.

an example: if a cpu runs at you, you have a few options. you can shield, throw out an attack, jump, or run away. if you shield, the cpu will always grab you no matter what. if you throw out an attack, they will probably short hop and air dodge perfectly. if you jump or run away they will probably do something stupid like throw out a falcon punch (not exaggerating). if you play defensively and wait for them to do something stupid, which they will, you can just punish it. alternatively, you can bait an airdodge by throwing out a short attack, and punish their inevitable air dodge.

Also, 50/50s do not work on lvl 9 computers. they will always choose the right option.

Savantharius

Smash Rookie
Don't fool yourself trying to attack them with easy an approach, specially in the air, since with their reaction they will dodge the attempt. Be careful, let them attack, pay attention and punish them. That's it, really.

Take a level 9 Link for example, the guy is just gonna be an easy-to-react projectile addicted CPU and will jump while trying to hit you with his grab 24/7. Most CPUs stick to things like these, just punish 'em.

Last edited:

Egghead

Smash Apprentice
Offstage camping or spam a projectile. If you want to do it in an applicable-to-real-life way, be patient and punish their terrible choices, which include falcon punches out of nowhere. They will also always try to grab your shield if you are close and if you hold it for more than a few frames.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I don't know what's going on with my CPUs, but when I play free for alls, they are terrible, and when I play 2 vs 2 teams, they somehow become GODLY. Reacting perfectly to all my moves, punishing my ledge grabs, and overall just being *****. It was enough for me to step away from the game for a few weeks now. I think I'll just continue that before I rage at absolutely nothing. Been working on cleaning up my language anyway, and fighting those doesn't help.

I've already decided that I don't have the interest level to improve, so I just have to wait for good mods, or a new Smash game on the Switch to get me back into it.

Danmango

Smash Rookie
I managed to beat a 2 fox level 9 CPU team while solo, I'm not particularly good at smash so this really felt like an acomplishment. This post is old, but I wanted to share this with someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PxkhVv8ySk&t=24s

I only have a 3DS so I'm stuck with that version. Also sorry for the following things: Terrible quality, 30 FPS video, vertical recording, serious lack of falcon knee in the video (Not good with the timing), replying to possibly dead post, etc.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I managed to beat a 2 fox level 9 CPU team while solo, I'm not particularly good at smash so this really felt like an acomplishment. This post is old, but I wanted to share this with someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PxkhVv8ySk&t=24s

I only have a 3DS so I'm stuck with that version. Also sorry for the following things: Terrible quality, 30 FPS video, vertical recording, serious lack of falcon knee in the video (Not good with the timing), replying to possibly dead post, etc.
Sweet, now your next challenge is to do that in Smash Ultimate. :D

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
I often play against lev 9 CPU and all things said above are true, at least to an extent, in SSBU. Playing Falco and Wolf, I think it is often easier with Wolf, playing a defensive strategy with projectiles and spacing with FTillt. In contrast, going with Falco and attempts for aerial combos can be hard since lev 9 CPU are stupidly good at air dodging and you get punished when using an agressive strategy. Then IMHexperience, off stage agressive play can be difficult except against some characters like YL that can be relatively easy to spike.
Maybe it's just me but I find some lev 9 CPU particularly hard to beat, such as Marie or Villager (hate these characters anyway). However, lev 9 CPU are very bad at using platforms and you can punish them a lot with moves like upTilt and Upsmash.
Being new to SSBU I also felt it was an accomplishment to beat my first lev 9 CPU. Even getting better at this game, I am still unable to win more than roughly 50% of games.

Last edited:

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I recently discovered that Zelda's Phantom and Din's Fire absolutely destroys level 9s. That's great being a Zelda main, and it works pretty good against a few people I play against, too. With Zelda I like to play keepaway, cause she sure as hell is not a brawler. I like her new jab though!

1FC0

Smash Lord
In Smash 4 Lv. 9 CPUs had a great weakness for R.O.B.'s Dthrow to Uair. Since Lv. 9 CPUs did not DI properly the combo kept working on them well in kill range which makes R.O.B. able to kill Lv. 9 CPUs extremely early and reliably.

However I am not sure if this still works in Ultimate with the new Dthrow that R.O.B. got, but you could try it.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
In Smash 4 Lv. 9 CPUs had a great weakness for R.O.B.'s Dthrow to Uair. Since Lv. 9 CPUs did not DI properly the combo kept working on them well in kill range which makes R.O.B. able to kill Lv. 9 CPUs extremely early and reliably.

However I am not sure if this still works in Ultimate with the new Dthrow that R.O.B. got, but you could try it.
By the way, did R.O.B's down throw got nerf or is it just me ? I liked it better back in Sm4sh...

1FC0

Smash Lord
By the way, did R.O.B's down throw got nerf or is it just me ? I liked it better back in Sm4sh...
I am not sure. In Elite Smash I can combo consistently to Usmash for a KO from around 140%. This makes Dthrow a replacement for Uthrow as killing throw since Uthrow has been nerfed again as kill throw and kills very late in SSBU. But 140% is still a little late.
Sometimes I can pull of the old Beep Boop. I also succesfully perform Dthrow → Utilt → Uair sometimes. But this is all on Elite Smash so it might be just that those people are bad at dealing with R.O.B.'s Dthrow.

In Smash 4 R.O.B.'s Dthrow was the combo throw for low damage and Uthrow was the kill throw for high damage. Now Uthrow is the combo throw for very low damage and Dthrow is the kill throw for high damage.

Personally I like that R.O.B. now has a bury move but I wish it would bury for longer. I think that R.O.B.'s bury might be the worst bury in the game.

Top Bottom