• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are some things to avoid doing at Tournaments

Gnarkill Evan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Astros795
While tournaments are a lot of fun I am wondering what is something I should avoid doing and other helpful tips!

necroTaxonomist

Smash Apprentice
Uh...two things I guess:
1) Try to win
2) Don't lose

But seriously probably the most important thing to avoid is getting too salty. I mean, a little bit of dietary sodium is healthy but you gotta make sure that you're not so salty that you aren't having a good time. If you can avoid that your tournament experience will be good.

WigglerWaffles22

Smash Rookie
You should never get nervous, imo that is the worst thing that can happen to you in a Tournament (Well that and getting disrespected).
You will play a lot worst and probably lose.
Also be nice to people so you will make friends and enjoy your time there.
Good luck on future tournaments, hope i helped you :D

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
Always come prepared!! Although it may not seem like a big deal you'll never know what might be going on at your local venue or large scale tournament.

First is your attitude, understand that our community has a breadth of types of personality traits that meander about the venue. From the outwardly friendly newbie to the smelly frequenter who has the worst attitude you've ever encountered there are going to be a lot of people, just be kind to those you meet and understand that everyone is there for different reasons.

You'll want to always come prepared, bring a snack and lots of water (it'll help you focus a lot more than energy drinks or soda), and an extra controller in case yours breaks and the venue/friend cannot provide you with an extra.

Try to get friendlies in with whoever you can before the bracket starts and get a good grasp of the skill level of the players that are there, if it's something that might intimidate you it's just an option. Go into your matches knowing you're there to win, and don't let anything stop you!

Carl the Oatswag

Smash Cadet
try to win and do your best is always a good saying. Don't be a sore loser and don't give up if you are sent to the losers bracket. Be careful and don't go for style or else you might mess up and lose a game that you were winning. Think over stage bans but don't choose a stage just because it's a counter, your preference also matters.

AuraSSB4

Smash Rookie
I think coming in with an open mindset on this is a good idea. You learn from your mistakes in tournaments, and that helps you get better.
If you do happen to play a top level player, don't get nervous. Take it as an awesome experience, win or lose. If you come in with an optimistic attitude, you'll form friendly rivalries.
But I feel that you can have your "dietary sodium", like Necro said. Just don't lose it over a stock.

Silver Gene

Smash Rookie
NNID
The_Silver_Gene
try not to waste time if people are there to waste time then they shouldnt be playing. be there to battle not to be a time waster

Top Bottom