• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what are mario's weaknesses?

mukai013

Smash Rookie
im trying to improve with mario and i was wondering if he has any glaring weaknesses i should know about

jmanxiv

Smash Apprentice
Personally I main mario and in my point he dosen't have a weakness.However people with good range and speed are a little more difficult.

fazares

Smash Apprentice
hes pretty good in most areas...yes... there could be a stronger guy...but not as fast as mario...a more ranged fighter...but not as good in close combat and no projectile....:-)

chaindude

Smash Journeyman
the only weakness to an all round character is that he/she isnt the best at anything

Agent 47

Smash Apprentice
mario is balanced so he doesn't excel in any one area. also, he doesn't really have an efficient vertical recovery.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Actually , completely vertical Up Bs give great vertical height, but the timing is kind of hard.

*As soon as soon as you see the spark during the Up B, smash and hold the control stick in the opposite direction; if you do it before the spark you'll just end up turning the other direction; you might want to practice it at 1/4 speed until you get the timing down but it isn't too hard*

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Being a balanced fighter, Mario has no glaring weaknesses. All of his smash attacks are quite good, and he has good aerials too. Of course, FLUDD is pretty useless, and Mario could be in trouble when he's being edge-guarded (although Ike has it much worse).

???????

Smash Journeyman
As far as being edgeguarded Mario only really has to worry about his Up B being gimped by edgehogging; Mario has a lot of edgeguard defenses such as the cape, fireballs, and the F.L.U.D.D.

*F.L.U.D.D. has many uses, don't get hung up on the fact that it doesn't do damage*

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
If there is one problem with Mario that I've noticed, it's that most of his finishing moves require a solid set-up to be effective, and this can be a problem if your over 180% damage and facing off against a strong character (which is usually the case for me). What I do to overcome this weakness is spam the Mario Tornado close to the ground, as well as caping, uppercutting, and the 1-2-3 combo while rolling once or twice inbetween attacks. As long as you time your hits well and be sure not to get nailed when you come out of your roll, your opponent's damage will skyrocket. If playing a one-on-one, just after the one-two part of the 1-2-3 combo, do a quick side smash move with the C-stick when their damage is over 130% to send 'em flying. same goes for a multiplayer match, but you need to watch your back during the rolls and might want to try using an up-smash rather than a side smash. I can't stop using Mario's meteor smash, but if you plan on using it, take into account both the vunerability prior to the punch (not to mention you can barely move for a second or two afterwards) and the precision needed to send your foe flying downward (there's quite a delay after you input the command and the actual attack).

Top Bottom