• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are good counterpick stages for G&W, and what stages should I ban in tourneys?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I play G&W at tournies and I'm wondering about what stages to counterpick and ban.

I usually ban Yoshi's Story because G&W dies too easily on that stage. Such short boundaries. However I sometimes question my decision to ban it because of very easy parachute kills for G&W.

Also, I usually counterpick Final Destination (and MKII once) and it usually works, but I was wondering if there are better choices for counterpicks. Does it depend on who I'm playing against? The competition is almost always Fox, Falco, Marth, and Peach.

I was thinking that DK64 would be a good counterpick for G&W because he can recover through the stage instead of having to sweetspot. Plus I do well on that stage with G&W.

Nike

Smash Apprentice
i personally think final D is the best stage for GaW. nice spaced killzones, good amount of room to float below the level and then sweet spot, nothing to get in the way of combos. I've never really been a big fan of DK64, but i could see how it could work for game, what with the high ceiling and many options for recovery.

sadly i don't use GaW in tournaments so i've never thought of a good ban stage for him, but yoshi's story would prolly top the list. GaW dies way too easy on that stage. however if u play a really offensive game then i could see some good strats for that stage.

(imo) Good GaW stages: FD, DL64, DK64
(imo) Bad GaW stages: YS, Battelfield

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
yeah dk64 is not bad for G&W. i like FoD myself, it's easy to sweetspot on and G&W does well on the changing platforms. just dont play FD against falco

Red7z7

Smash Apprentice
hmmmm, definitely depends on your style of play. if you play aggressive, small maps are just fine. Yoshi story isn't that bad imo because you can still sweetspot, even tho its harder. battlefield is not good for him, at least for his recovery because if your under the stage, theres no wall to "slide" up to sweetspot. I like stages with platforms, especially low platforms, because you can utilt or fsmash , hammer, or sausage from under a platform, and from above platform you can hit people with key who are below it> which is why FoD is prolly my favorite for gaw. Ff FD works for you, then good, but i dont like it because theres too much space to utilize for characters with a lot of mobility and speed (fox,falco w/ lasers). They can work a lot of **** on you if they keep the distance and fake you out.

Sighrax

Smash Lord
Good Stages: FD, DL64, YS (once you learn how to sweetspot), FoD, DK64 (even though edges are a little buggy)
Bad Stages: PS, Rainbow Cruise, Poke Floats, Battlefield

imho

$PITE

Smash Journeyman
I'd ban YS and counterpick Final Destination. YS messes with G&W's spacing and he dies easily there. Final Destination has good killzones, a wall to boost against, plenty of space, and you can chainthrow FFers easier there.

AThirdParty

Smash Apprentice
Probably Fountain of Dreams for best G&W stage. D64 and FD are both good Watch stages as well...

Tron V2.0

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to have to agree with everyone and say FD, Dk64, FoD, and DL64 are all good counterpick and Ys, rainbow cruise, Poke floats and battlefield are bad. I guess YS would be good against big characters because you could parachute them alot.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Ban Yoshi's Story, or Battlefield, whichever you are worse on. I always ban Yoshi's story, just because every single character I play is terrible on that stage.

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
I would pick stages you feel most comfortable and "home field" at and ban stages you hate. For instance I love fountain of dreams (awesome music) so I pick it most of the time even if its not a counter pick. I also always ban battlefield as I always SD at least once on that stage and is a symbol of bad luck for me

Nakamaru

Smash Master
I think you misunderstood his first post.. :p
Uh, no i read it. Read the very first sentence. What stages should i counter pick and ban. I told him to Ban FD and counter pick with FoD. For the people he is playing against he has a better chance on FoD than on FD. Other than marth he is at a disadvantage on FD.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
umm, even if u think FoD is better than FD y would u ban FD. Battlefield << FD
Banning FD because of the falco and fox. Falco can spam lasers all day and GnW is pretty limited in his movement all of a sudden. If you take that stage away then you can get alot closer to him with having to deal with the annoying lasers.

Fox on FD has to much room to run around. Take that away with FoD with the changing platforms and small stage, and you take that away from him. The platforms are also very useful for setting up attacks and landing under the platform preventing sheild grabs which destroy GnW.

As for peach and Marth it is really up to your skill.

I know battlefield is worse than FD but against certain characters it is better to have platforms than an open stage.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
a bad one is kongo jungle 64 cause u cant full jump on the ledges LOL as i find out last weekend.

but u gota remember GW is lighter than peach. ever heard of fox?

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
Just put the official levels in.
get used to them.
If you ever play in a tournament they arent going to ban yoshis island just for you.
Im a Link player and I got used to it.
Links cant even hookshot back on so we have it WAY worse.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
^^^ I've been to about eight tournaments >_>. Not to sound mean but that doesn't quite make sense. Why don't you just ban Yoshi's Story at a tourney if you have hookshot trouble on it?

I've been banning Battlefield lately. Battlefield hates Game & Watch. Against some people I ban PokeFloats because they're likely to counterpick it >__>

I've learned that Yoshi's Story can go either way. Game & Watch dies in a snap, but can also get some quick Parachute kills to even it out. Still, I'd rather not play there.

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
Use the official levels.
Banning a stage is for people who cant expand thier play or suck.
Some deserve to be banned.
Thats why there are official levels, to tell evone what levels should be banned.
Its already decided.
Just deal, if Gamed Watch doesnt work for you, try someone else.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
lol, I can't tell if that's a joke post or not. If you're not joking, then you've definitely never been to a tournament.

Alright kid, here's the deal...when you play a set of matches with someone at a tournament, you both get to ban one stage. When each of you ban a stage that means that you guys are not allowed to play on that stage during that set. If you lose a match, you get to counterpick a stage that you want to play on. And of course you can't counterpick a banned stage. Certain stages, like Hyrule or Big Blue, are always banned no matter what at tournaments.

People ban stages in tournament sets for a lot of different reasons. Some people suck at the stage, some people's characters are at a disadvantage, sometimes the opponent can have an advantage if you don't ban the stage. For example, a Falco or Ness player might want to ban Jungle Japes because they can get pretty badly owned on those stages. Or if your opponent is Ganon you might want to ban Battlefield because Ganon rocks on Battlefield.

Just deal, if Gamed Watch doesnt work for you, try someone else.
You REALLY don't know who you're talking to. :laugh: I'm 56K. I'm the only person in this STATE that plays G&W in tournaments. I have plenty of experience playing Game & Watch and plenty of tournament experience. You have neither.

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
I havnt been to a tourney. I didnt know that.
Thank you. I sound like such a n00b now.
Ive seen many a good fight and fight well myself.
I didnt know that they let you ban them.
I also misunderstood and thought you were CREATING a tourney and banning levels from everyone. Sorry.

Now I will try to actually help.
GAW has a decent recovery which would be wasted in yoshis story so that is another reason to possibly ban that level.
One thing you ARE wrong about. I do have some GAW experience. I could never take anyone respectable with him but I can play decently with him.

Again, sorry for getting involved in matters I obviosly didnt fully understand.

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
But I do know the generally counterpickable, random, and banned stages.
For doubles and singles.

And the level you ban-look at your opponent first.
Links are likely to ban yoshis because the die unless they sweetspot, so let them ban that level and you ban another, like battlefield.
But Links might also ban Mute City so watch it.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Wait sorry for the slight bump here but with all the parachute kills. Why is YS a bad stage, with proper DI you can live for a long time i can attest because of the smashfests we hold my friend plays a decent picachu and I smash DI'd a f smash at 120 percent.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Actually, I don't think YS is so bad. But even with DI, I think G&W dies extremely fast on that stage. There are easy parachute kills, and easy kills in general because of the short death boundaries.

DireVulcan

Smash Lord
Yoshi's Story = Lose alot of everlast, but gain quicker killing power. All up to how your offense is. I kill peaches at 80 percent on that map, yet die to Foxes at 60.

Kongo Jungle is super good for GaW

FoD is also great vs certain characters.

Top Bottom