• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What annoys your friends when you play them in Smash?

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
A lot of people have something that bugs them about Smash 4. For some it's probably rage, for others it may be the strength of certain counters or other moves. Well when I play Smash with my friends, there are two things that annoy them the most. First is my ability to powershield attacks much more often than they can. I should probably work on doing stuff out of shield. Hmm. Learning stuff about myself as I type. Awesome. And the other is character specific to my main Toon Link. They can't stand the strength of Toon Link's forward smash and up air, and also whenever I up-B them into the sky for the kill.

What grinds your friends' gears when you play with them?

Uffe

Smash Hero
Back throw kills, edge guarding, a flurry of projectile while running away to avoid being hit, and being able to use his characters due to my not so great technical skill and defeating him. He's not played Sm4sh since because of this. And I haven't really been giving this game the attention it needs in order for me to become a better player.

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
dunno if this counts but i was playing some free for all matches with some friends in melee and they ended up banning me from picking mewtwo, guess im just that good :cool::150::mewtwomelee:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Well, since I only have two friends that actually play Smash (I have two others that are willing but dunno what they're doing)...

1. Picking Bayonetta
Even after her mega-nerf, one of my friends especially hates when I pick Bayonetta. He hates everything about her and it bugs him on "How OP she is". She is the bane of his existence and he gets so annoyed when I even think about picking her he'll flat out refuse to go against me instead of just allowing me to play her and, oh I dunno... Actually learn to fight against her.

2. (When it comes to my inexperienced friends) Items
Like I mentioned before I have two others that are willing to play and like it, but they really have no idea what they're doing.

I don't play with items anyways so this doesn't really bother me that much, but I remember trying to turn items on to help give them a sort of handicap; however it actually turns out they absolutely hated that idea despite being able to do much better. They claimed the items made them confused and easily made them unable to understand what was going on. No skin off my teeth, so yay...?

I think that's really it, since I barely have many others to play Smash with IRL (especially ones who actually play).

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Playing Smash in general.

Joking aside, I have much more patience than my friends when it comes to playing Smash or fighting games in general, so I tend to push sessions a little past their welcome point because I get so pumped about playing with people I'm actually friends with. lol

I also don't think they're fond of me trying to actually teach them tech (talking about tech as I play can be a bit of a habit at this point) because for the most part they just play how they wanna play, and it generally works out.

-and last but not least, obnoxiously long combos or strings (Hello, Pikachu, Mario, etc.). That being said, who doesn't hate being trapped in combos, really?

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Playing Smash in general.

Joking aside, I have much more patience than my friends when it comes to playing Smash or fighting games in general, so I tend to push sessions a little past their welcome point because I get so pumped about playing with people I'm actually friends with. lol

I also don't think they're fond of me trying to actually teach them tech (talking about tech as I play can be a bit of a habit at this point) because for the most part they just play how they wanna play, and it generally works out.

-and last but not least, obnoxiously long combos or strings (Hello, Pikachu, Mario, etc.). That being said, who doesn't hate being trapped in combos, really?
Whenever I combo my friends into oblivion, they just sit there wondering what the heck just happened.

Oh yeah, and one more thing. They also cannot STAND edgeguarding.

Arthur97

Smash Master
My friends actually seem pretty okay with just about everything despite me being generally better than all of them and almost always winning. Well, except for the one that just seems to really struggle with the general controls despite them being made to be simple and easily accessed. Watching him try to use Shulk's Arts was almost painful.

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
considering that all of my friends dont play smash i tend to win about every match, one friend usually after a few matches stops trying/caring, another who only plays as bowser gets mad at the game after a few matches, then the third isnt too bad and doesnt act as the others after a few matches but only plays as lucario and tends to have a hard time recovering as i dont think he knows that up special is to recover, but i think what makes them all upset is when after a few matches i start letting them pick the character i play as as a handicap of sorts but i still win
:yeahboi:

Edit:also the lucario friend like to make lucina-lucas-lucario conspiracy jokes because he thinks that since their names sound similar that they are related
:mad088:

Last edited:

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Here's another one. Picking Ness. PK FIRE! PK FIRE! DOWN THROW! FAIR! FAIR! FAIR! PK THUNDER! Victory.

"Wait... PK Thunder can kill?!??!" My friends will say.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
This might sound a bit silly, but I can't stand it when someone uses my main, Robin. Bonus points if they use the inferior alt :4robinf:. I don't like her for some odd reason.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
This might sound a bit silly, but I can't stand it when someone uses my main, Robin. Bonus points if they use the inferior alt :4robinf:. I don't like her for some odd reason.
You're like the first person I've seen in my seven months of playing Smash who uses male Robin. What's the deal with everyone always picking the female alts? Personally, I'm an avid :4villager: player myself, and my friends and I all think that the other seven alts suck. The first female one is OK, but.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I use male Robin. In fact; everyone's love for the female Robin just makes me pull for the male one even more. I use her from time to time, but I use the guy much more.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
You're like the first person I've seen in my seven months of playing Smash who uses male Robin. What's the deal with everyone always picking the female alts? Personally, I'm an avid :4villager: player myself, and my friends and I all think that the other seven alts suck. The first female one is OK, but.
When I saw the alert that you quoted my post, I looked at the title of thread and realized that I didn't answer the topic question, so I was embarrassed for a while to even click this thread. Embarrass On a side note, I think Male Robin is the only alt I prefer. I'm fine with every other alt like Male and Female WFT, Male and Female Villager, and Male and Female Corrin.
But anyway, to completely answer the thread, sometimes I would use the "suck and cuck" techinque for Kirby and King Dedede that my friend hates for some odd reason. She used to be a King Dedede main, so I guess the "suck and cuck" technique was like discrimination or something? She also hates it when I pity SD, which I like to think as "sportsmanship." But that was only one time, so I don't know how she feels about that now.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
When I saw the alert that you quoted my post, I looked at the title of thread and realized that I didn't answer the topic question, so I was embarrassed for a while to even click this thread. Embarrass On a side note, I think Male Robin is the only alt I prefer. I'm fine with every other alt like Male and Female WFT, Male and Female Villager, and Male and Female Corrin.
But anyway, to completely answer the thread, sometimes I would use the "suck and cuck" techinque for Kirby and King Dedede that my friend hates for some odd reason. She used to be a King Dedede main, so I guess the "suck and cuck" technique was like discrimination or something? She also hates it when I pity SD, which I like to think as "sportsmanship." But that was only one time, so I don't know how she feels about that now.
Oops! I didn't even notice that you didn't answer the question the first time. Guess I was so caught up in learning what grinds your gears instead of other people's. My bad. By the way, do the male and female WFT have different hitboxes? I have no experience playing them, so.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Trying to win (at least with some). Even when I try to sandbag, I'm accused of "not going easy".

Egghead

Smash Apprentice
I played with two friends at separate times and they both hated my :4wiifitm:'s offstage dominance. The first few matches, they tried to edge guard aggressively and things did not turn out well for them. Back at schoo, they talked about how annoying my offstage play was. They kinda hate wifi fit in general because wii fit is supposedly a troll character.

What I hate my friends doing is when they bust out palutena and reflect everything but never actually do anything other than that.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I played with two friends at separate times and they both hated my :4wiifitm:'s offstage dominance. The first few matches, they tried to edge guard aggressively and things did not turn out well for them. Back at schoo, they talked about how annoying my offstage play was. They kinda hate wifi fit in general because wii fit is supposedly a troll character.

What I hate my friends doing is when they bust out palutena and reflect everything but never actually do anything other than that.
No one in my friend group plays Wii Fit. The characters we feel are trolls are Game and Watch and Jigglypuff.

Egghead

Smash Apprentice
No one in my friend group plays Wii Fit. The characters we feel are trolls are Game and Watch and Jigglypuff.
Little Mac is our troll. I tried to down taunt dodge KO punch, my friend saved the replay, but that was before the 1.1.6 patch so nobody will ever see it. How do you guys troll with G&W, do you hammer till 9?

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Little Mac is our troll. I tried to down taunt dodge KO punch, my friend saved the replay, but that was before the 1.1.6 patch so nobody will ever see it. How do you guys troll with G&W, do you hammer till 9?
Yep.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I have been known to just let them decide my character. Jigglypuff is usually the first one they pick. I still beat them.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Oops! I didn't even notice that you didn't answer the question the first time. Guess I was so caught up in learning what grinds your gears instead of other people's. My bad. By the way, do the male and female WFT have different hitboxes? I have no experience playing them, so.
Heh, no problem. To answer your question, no, I don't think they have different hitboxes. That would just be crazy. They look like they would, though. Like Bowser Jr.'s alts. There's no way that Lemmy is the same size of Morton.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Heh, no problem. To answer your question, no, I don't think they have different hitboxes. That would just be crazy. They look like they would, though. Like Bowser Jr.'s alts. There's no way that Lemmy is the same size of Morton.
I think the Robin's were actually resized to match. If you check in Awakening, the default male is taller than the default female.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I think the Robin's were actually resized to match. If you check in Awakening, the default male is taller than the default female.
Yeah, that's true. But most people didn't care about the default My Units before their reveal in Smash, so they wouldn't care about a little detail like that now. I don't even think some of them knew Awakening existed before, seeing how they call Robin's tomes "books."

Arrei

Smash Lord
Hmm.. trying to be self-aware, it's probably my penchant to start trying stupid things once I have a healthy lead. Volcano kick edgeguards, foolhardy offstage play, Falcon/Warlock Punches out of the blue, that sort of thing.

That, or my love for suicide kills. Especially when they try to edgeguard me at 100%+ and I pull it off to take their stock at like 20%.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Getting chain Bites with :4wario:, :4megaman:'s lemons, :4robinm: releasing his gear haphazardly, preventing certain punishes.....

Stuff like that.

You're like the first person I've seen in my seven months of playing Smash who uses male Robin. What's the deal with everyone always picking the female alts?
I'm not sure why either. I've always stuck with :4robinm:, be it Awakening or Smash, he was just more appealing to me than :4robinf:. Sure, she might have the "cuteness" factor going for her, but her voice is kinda whiny and annoying, and her colors aren't really anything to write home about.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Here's another one. Picking Ness. PK FIRE! PK FIRE! DOWN THROW! FAIR! FAIR! FAIR! PK THUNDER! Victory.

"Wait... PK Thunder can kill?!??!" My friends will say.
I killed someone at the top of the blast zone last night with PK Thunder. I had to laugh.

Top Bottom