• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What alternate control setups do you guys use?

Datnox

Smash Rookie
I only turn off tap jump, but I'm wondering what control setups everyone uses because I might find something that I prefer over default.

Y-L

Smash Champion
If you can fight the muscle memory, A to jump, B to attack, and Y to special would be kick ass.

But personally I only use R to attack for DACUS and X to taunt for footstool.

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you can fight the muscle memory, A to jump b to attack, and Y to special would be kick ***.

I'm so torn about trying to set A to jump. I even made a topic about it. My muscle memory is so hard and so burned in, and also I want to still be able to play Melee. But on the other hand I think it would help me so much in my PM play, which is the game I want to focus on.

Anyway, here's my image I post in every one of these threads showing my setup.

Zujx

Smash Apprentice
I'm a can't teach and old dog new tricks kind of guy and I keep it standard

I haven't seen much variation in the people in my area, the only things I've really seen are basic like no tap jump and using right trigger for something else

Celestis

Smash Ace
A set to jump? That sounds so icky!

I used to have tap jump off, but it would effect my Melee game as I would get careless with the stick. So I stopped that. So now I usually have X set to footstool, and that's all.

Ultimate Sneeze

Smash Apprentice
I use R as an attack if I ever want to practice DACUS, Tap Jump is off, and since I use Y to jump, my X is side taunt (footstools and quick Samus beam switch).

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
attack = r
jump = a
grab = b
special = x
footstool = y

shoutouts to just rolling your thumb slightly upwards for waveshines

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Tap jump off, Z set to attack, A set to shield, L set to jump, X set to grab, and everything else is default.

I'm contemplating getting rid of the springs in L/R as well.

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
Personally I use standard controls with rumble off! I thought about changing X to grab though.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Mine stays essentially the same, but here's my changes.
L - Foot-stool
Tap Jump - Off
X - Grab

Jecux

Smash Cadet
Tap jump off and L is set to jump. Btw why do you have a separate button for footstool? I guess I've missed something.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Tap jump off and L is set to jump. Btw why do you have a separate button for footstool? I guess I've missed something.
Are you referring to my post? You never necessarily stated who you're asking . . .

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
I have tapjump off and for Mewtwo I use L as my jump so that I can hold L for float. It also makes up smash OoS extremely easy if L is jump. Pretty useful for fox whenever I play him.

Jecux

Smash Cadet
Are you referring to my post? You never necessarily stated who you're asking . . .
Sorry if I confused, my purpose was to refer your post.
EDIT: After a little research I realized that P:M needs that separate button to do footstools. My bad.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
When deciding on a control scheme, you should always consider what characters you'll be playing and optimize it accordingly. Since I don't play DJC characters all that often, I don't see the need to keep tap jump on. I do DACUS quite often and enjoy messing around with C-Dashing, so I set R to attack. I don't use X for jump, I have Y for that, so depending on what character I'm using I'll either have it set to shield for more reliable power-shielding, or UpTaunt for characters that have good Footstool options.

Some helpful tricks for everyone who turns tap jump off or are on the fence about doing so:
  • The opinion on how turning it off limits what you can do OoS is completely false. There are multiple techniques you can use to UpSmash and UpB OoS just as quickly and reliably as if it were kept on. Please keep in mind that I'm describing how to use these techniques with only tap jump turned off and no other custom controls (If you have a R set to attack for instance, UpSmash OoS is extremely easy to accomplish without having to resort to this technique I'm about to describe). To UpSmash OoS with Tap Jump turned off without clawing, quickly slide your thumb over Y and onto A while moving the control stick up. This should all be one quick motion, your thumb brushing past Y with just enough force to press it down. Make sure to let go of Shield before pressing A or else your character will attempt to grab instead of UpSmash just as if you were trying to do so with tap jump on.
  • To UpB OoS you'll be using the C-Stick. In Brawl and P:M, C-Stick Up while in shield causes your character to jump. To use this to UpB OoS, quickly C-Stick Up and slide your thumb up to B while moving the control stick up. This is almost exactly like the technique we used to UpSmash OoS, but here you don't even need to worry about letting go of shield since there is no way to accidentally grab in this situation. Again, this should all be one quick motion or else you won't use a grounded UpB and this will result in a aerial UpB. For some characters this isn't an issue, but for the likes of Link and Tink for example, you'll be wanting the grounded UpB for obvious reasons.

Y-L

Smash Champion
When deciding on a control scheme, you should always consider what characters you'll be playing and optimize it accordingly. Since I don't play DJC characters all that often, I don't see the need to keep tap jump on. I do DACUS quite often and enjoy messing around with C-Dashing, so I set R to attack. I don't use X for jump, I have Y for that, so depending on what character I'm using I'll either have it set to shield for more reliable power-shielding, or UpTaunt for characters that have good Footstool options.

Some helpful tricks for everyone who turns tap jump off or are on the fence about doing so:
  • The opinion on how turning it off limits what you can do OoS is completely false. There are multiple techniques you can use to UpSmash and UpB OoS just as quickly and reliably as if it were kept on. Please keep in mind that I'm describing how to use these techniques with only tap jump turned off and no other custom controls (If you have a R set to attack for instance, UpSmash OoS is extremely easy to accomplish without having to resort to this technique I'm about to describe). To UpSmash OoS with Tap Jump turned off without clawing, quickly slide your thumb over Y and onto A while moving the control stick up. This should all be one quick motion, your thumb brushing past Y with just enough force to press it down. Make sure to let go of Shield before pressing A or else your character will attempt to grab instead of UpSmash just as if you were trying to do so with tap jump on.
  • To UpB OoS you'll be using the C-Stick. In Brawl and P:M, C-Stick Up while in shield causes your character to jump. To use this to UpB OoS, quickly C-Stick Up and slide your thumb up to B while moving the control stick up. This is almost exactly like the technique we used to UpSmash OoS, but here you don't even need to worry about letting go of shield since there is no way to accidentally grab in this situation. Again, this should all be one quick motion or else you won't use a grounded UpB and this will result in a aerial UpB. For some characters this isn't an issue, but for the likes of Link and Tink for example, you'll be wanting the grounded UpB for obvious reasons.
idk it seems easier to me to just not make input mistakes than to do all that work and hassle to do moves much more easily accessible with tap jump on. It keeps you nice and precise too.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
idk it seems easier to me to just not make input mistakes than to do all that work and hassle to do moves much more easily accessible with tap jump on. It keeps you nice and precise too.
To not have to worry about losing your second jump on a UpB or flubbed UpTilt, I much rather deal with harder OoS options. But I guess that comes down to personal opinion. The inputs I'm describing aren't really that hard to begin with though. It's sort of like Cervantes' Pirate's Cross from Soul Calibur for example. I'm sure there are other examples in fighting games that require quick button press sequences that are nearly impossible on a normal controller that are easier with sliding.

Y-L

Smash Champion
To not have to worry about losing your second jump on a UpB or flubbed UpTilt, I much rather deal with harder OoS options. But I guess that comes down to personal opinion. The inputs I'm describing aren't really that hard to begin with though. It's sort of like Cervantes' Pirate's Cross from Soul Calibur for example. I'm sure there are other examples in fighting games that require quick button press sequences that are nearly impossible on a normal controller that are easier with sliding.
Well I mean I'm just saying after using tap jump I never have problems performing a utilt.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Well I mean I'm just saying after using tap jump I never have problems performing a utilt.
I'm not disagreeing with you, UpTilt isn't that hard to do at all with tap jump on. But I've seen even the highest caliber players accidentally UpAir on occasion when they were obviously trying to UpTilt and got punished for it. I can't remember which match I'm thinking of but I saw it happen to Mango and it lost him the stock. I personally think an accidental UpAir when trying to UpTilt is worse than a higher chance of an accidental UpAir or shield grab when attempting a UpSmash OoS. That's just my opinion though, and the reason I'd rather risk the latter. I almost never mess up a UpB OoS with the technique I described though so I didn't include that in my reasoning.

Last edited:

Japsy

Banned via Warnings
If you can fight the muscle memory, A to jump, B to attack, and Y to special would be kick ***.

That sounds awesome, but yeah, that would be too much of a hassle for me since I can move my fingers around just fine.
I just have L = Attack, y = taunt/footstool, and no tap jump. I never even use footstools or moonwalking so I don't really know why I still do this, though it also makes glide tossing mid-air a lot easier.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Tap jump off (I use tilts too much and hate when I suddenly spring to the air), and Y to footstool. The rest is default. Though I have a setup for when I'm trolling friends by playing with my feet (and sadly, winning sometimes) where I use tap jump, X to shield, Y to grab.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I am inclined to think I have one of the best schemes for technical play currently, even if it is freakin' hard to get used to at first.
I actually made thoughts on how to play in the first weeks after getting a GC controller and it was worth because I wouldn't get used to it if I played longer with an other scheme before as quickly.
I play a kind of claw where your right hand's fingers are on: :GCCN:, :GCB:, :GCY:, :GCZ:, :GCRT:
R set to attack, X for footstool (if I curl my middle finger I hit X instead of Y), tap jump off (I benefit from it heavily with every character except for :peach: and :pikachu2:), :GCCN: for everything that you can do with it (maybe except for throws).
I am doing nairs often with :GCZ: if they don't have a zair, it works well. I should have taken out the springs from shoulder buttons long ago but I don't trust my DIY skills at all.
Might have to change it if lightshielding is in but right now I am pretty happy about it.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
Tap Jump : Off (though sometimes I have it on... I still haven't fully decided on this)
:GCRT: : jump partially cause I used to use a character with a float and partially for up B / up Smash OoS
:GCY: : special to make it closer to the jump button
:GCB: : footstool, though I'm temporarily taking it off since when I mash from sleep (against snake), I end up taunting sometimes :S and since I haven't really applied it to my gameplay. I turn it back to footstool when practicing though.

Everything else is default.

Last edited:
Top Bottom