• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What’s a good boss idea ruined by bad execution?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
As we all know, all bosses in gaming stem from an idea. It could either be a good idea, a bad idea, or (in this case) a good idea ruined by execution. To your memory, what’s a boss that fits this category?

For me, it would be Petey Piranha in Brawl. He has cages with Peach and Zelda trapped inside them, and it’s up to you to rescue them. However, where this battle has a strong idea, there are two glaring faults to its lazy execution:

1. All Petey does is jump very slowly and swing one cage at a time almost as slowly. No fire breathing, no goop shots, no Nipper plants, jus those two attacks. And they’re so easy to avoid, you could probably do the battle on Intense and not lose a single life if you know what you’re doing.

2. Those two health bars for each princess’s cage? They determine which princess joins you, but that’s really it since the levels after are exactly the same on different playthroughs, but with a different princess.

If it were up to the more creative me, that bottom health bar would’ve been used as sort of a time-based health bar for the caged princesses (a green health bar that goes slowly goes down) and the top just go to Petey. And the princess’s cage that was attacked the most (this wouldn’t deplete the bottom health bar, only throw Petey off like it does in the actual game) would determine which one joins you

Oh, and his rematch is even worse for being exactly the same as before, two health bars for each cage and everything, but now without the princesses. Petey could’ve easily been able to cage the players and slam them down (kinda like how he does in Ultimate as Piranha Plant’s Final Smash), but NOPE. Same slow jumping and cage swinging, and the two health bars mean nothing now.

Off the top of my head, another potentially fun boss ruined by bad execution was Cortex in Crash Bandicoot 2, and this goes for the N. Sane version as well*. In the original game’s case, Naughty Dog could’ve made the jet pack movement automated and the control being changed back to moving eight directions on the D-Pad or analog stick, but NAH. They kept them exactly the same as the preceding jetpack levels players were just getting the hang of. You then have to catch up to Cortex painfully slowly, and spin him when you catch up. I lost to him the first time because I was trying to work around the rocks and mines with the weird jet pack controls, and then I just barely won the first time.

Oh, and he doesn’t even fight back with his laser gun. Yes, I know it was removed in the N. Sane Trilogy*, but he still had it in the original. Cortex Strikes Back? More like Cortex Wimps Out.

Again, from a creativity standpoint; if it were up to me (at least in regards to changing how he was fought in the N. Sane Trilogy*), I’d do this:

-Change the jet pack control scheme specifically for this fight, with players only needing to move how Coco did in Crash 3 against N. Gin.

-Have Cortex bring out his laser gun to shoot mines and blow up meteors.

-Make the fight require that Crash spin the meteors into Cortex to damage him.

-Give Cortex 5 hit points.

*My copy of the N. Sane Trilogy was my first proper taste to classic Crash gameplay, as I’ve never owned the original 3 on PS1.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Wilfre from Drawn to Life. After beating the first phase (a scorpion) Wilfres attack pattern consists of very few easy to avoid attacks. He's more annoying cause it's hard to hit him. Very bad final boss, at least the scorpion tried something.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Motherbrain in the first Metroid, fighting a humongous brain with an eyeball sounds rad as hell but the fight itself makes me want to scoop out my brain.
There's just too many cheerios flying everywhere for me to concentrate, what is this ? A bullet-hell game ?

Wilfre from Drawn to Life. After beating the first phase (a scorpion) Wilfres attack pattern consists of very few easy to avoid attacks. He's more annoying cause it's hard to hit him. Very bad final boss, at least the scorpion tried something.
Even if it's something negative, i'm just happy that this game isn't completely forgotten. And yeah, this boss fight sucked.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Alder from pokemon black and white is another example. Meant to be hard, but get a good fire and fighting pokemon and you can kill everything except Volcarona in one hit with a supereffective attack. I recommend darmanitan with an expert belt and watch the world burn. Volcarona just requires a rock type around the same level, I recommend stone edge to end it quickly.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
The Brug Mass from Other M. It's meant to be the tutorial boss and it teaches how to sensemove while in first person. For whatever reason it is nearly impossible to do it, and you're locked in first person until you sensemove. So it just whips you to death as you blindly shake the controller around attempting to sensemove.

Top Bottom