• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Western NY/RIT Smash Thread

higgs_347

Smash Rookie
This is the official discussion place for the Western NY/RIT Smash thread. There's been a lot of discussion of changes lately, so this will act as an organized way for members to post their opinions.

Keep it respectable guys!

Edit:

Here's the link to the facebook group, for any newcomers interested. You can find more details about the club there.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/RITSmashClub/

-Higgins

Last edited:

higgs_347

Smash Rookie
Well, I'll guess that I'll start off then. To recap what happened prompting the creation of this thread, there's been a lot of discussion about:

-Running Biweeklys
-Turning Smash club into an actual club

I think that running biweeklys for both Melee and Smash 4 is a good idea. It would be best to have both a Melee TO and a Smash 4 TO, and run the tournaments during our Friday meetings. Also, alternating TO's each tournament so people are responsible for one tournament a month. I can't do this on my own, and need people to step up. I can be one of the Melee TO's. However, we need at least one person to step up as a smash 4 TO. Ideally, the group of TO's will coordinate and work together to give the best experience for the community.

For turning smash club into an actual club, there's a lot of pro's and cons that I'm not going to even begin listing. Hopefully someone else can come in and help that discussion get started.

Ianjb

Smash Rookie
I've already said that there is no real good reason to leave out PM especially if we have a TO for that as well, which I've offered to do.

Regardless I've also mentioned that my strenghts are definitely in streaming, but I cant commentate for my life and need some volounteers to do that.

Last edited:

higgs_347

Smash Rookie
Agreed, we should start focus on the biweeklys.

Are you ok with being the smash 4 TO Chris?
I don't think PM gets enough of a turnout to have biweeklys, as sad as it is. Lately we've been lucky to get any PM setups at all.

Ianjb

Smash Rookie
If people bring Wii's I can do the rest. Last few UBS I went to seemed like it had pretty good PM entrants and was lacking setups more than anything. Also between you and me Brawl deinterlaces a ton better than Melee does so its easier to work with.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
my commentary is the best in rochester

Also, for the record, im not planning on stopping my smash it out series at agn.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Please note, myself and dust should be functioning in an advisor role mainly if there is a legitimate club. Since neither of us attends rit

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I could probably try making some graphics for streaming, I'll try to get a couple done by the end of the week and you guys tell me how you feel about them. Anyways, regarding the whole TO'ing issue. Wouldn't it be best if the TO was someone who played the game? @ GanondorkMSK! GanondorkMSK! I'm not trying to put you on blast or anything, just you generally played Smash 4 every once in a while. Perhaps PM TO would be a better position?

higgs_347

Smash Rookie
Ian: At least while we're getting started with the idea of biweeklys, I want to just start small, with what I know what we can handle. And at the last UBS, we canceled PM doubles because only 2 teams registered for it. Also do you live near RIT? Your facebook says that you go to RPI. I'm asking because that seems like a long drive to come out and stream, especially for biweeklys.

Chris: Great! When the semester gets closer we can discuss how/when we're going to get started.

Ianjb

Smash Rookie
I am at MCC for at least one more semester, so I'm gonna be around for the fall, so its not a problem. PM doesn't have to be doubles, and frankly I wasn't sure if you wanted the bi-weeklies to be anything more than singles. Honestly I think you'd be better off with 3 events doing singles than with 2 events doing both singles and doubles.

Deotay

Smash Cadet
Hey, can we add the google doc to the OP? If Higgs, Ganondork, K.I.D. and Dust give me their Google accounts I can set them to edit it.

ToxBox

Smash Rookie
ToxBox here, just to provide smash 4 set ups + DLC and little ads

dim3tapp

Smash Rookie
Goggles' attempt to make me act more serious by suggesting that we act as advisers is pretty smart. I almost got serious.

Bobby191

Smash Rookie
Hi i just found this thread im going to rit in the fall and would like to say i play pm and after getting acclimated to the school would be more then happy to be a TO for pm as long as i can still play pm and melee. I will be bringing my wii with project m and melee but idk about having a crt. How good are the players and how big are the tourneys at least the melee ones

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Kurri you should make some graphics for my stream first
I'm on it!

Hi i just found this thread im going to rit in the fall and would like to say i play pm and after getting acclimated to the school would be more then happy to be a TO for pm as long as i can still play pm and melee. I will be bringing my wii with project m and melee but idk about having a crt. How good are the players and how big are the tourneys at least the melee ones
The players are good around, however, we did lose our best player.
You're going to want to try and get a CRT.

higgs_347

Smash Rookie
Cool dude. Where you from?

If you haven't yet, join the facebook group. It has all the information about when and where we meet, and generally where all the announce are made. For tournaments, we have monthly Upstate Battle Series tournaments that get around 40-50 entrants. There's another monthly tournament series in Syracuse run by Mana that gets upwards of 80-90 people. We're also playing around with the idea of having bi-weeklys at RIT.

Ianjb

Smash Rookie
@ higgs_347 higgs_347 I think it might be worth polling the facebook page concerning games, because I still think you're underestimating PM interest. Even with all the Melee players here, they enjoy it, even if they just are playing melee inside of PM. Plus we can poll for the side events/extra games people were interested in like MvC SF Smash64 ect...

@ Kurri ★ Kurri ★ I'm gonna work on some overlays as well. If you wanna exchange stuff we come up with we might be able to make something better. I've got a couple simpler things left over as it is so I have a base to work with.

Last edited:

RingWormTheDestroyer

Smash Apprentice
@ Ianjb Ianjb The problem with PM is really a lack of setups and interest. Every single tournament seems to struggle with having enough setups. I also bring a PM setup to every smash fest i go to and it seems like no one wants to play it.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I have a PM setup and will always bring it over
Will you? Cause you'll also have to bring a CRT, and last time I checked, your CRT is huge...
Unless, someone is willing to bring their own, smaller CRT, but at that point, they probably have their own setup.

Anyhoo, I could always bring over my Wii U. And if I bring my Wii back, there's the possibility of another PM setup, assuming I get my own CRT that is.

kinje

Smash Apprentice
I'm probably bringing a small CRT back with me in the fall, so Chris can use it for tourneys with his setup, since mine's still defective.

GanondorkMSK!

Smash Rookie
Will you? Cause you'll also have to bring a CRT, and last time I checked, your CRT is huge...
Unless, someone is willing to bring their own, smaller CRT, but at that point, they probably have their own setup.

Anyhoo, I could always bring over my Wii U. And if I bring my Wii back, there's the possibility of another PM setup, assuming I get my own CRT that is.
I let that one go and will get a smaller one
Kurri coming at my neck lol jk

Bobby191

Smash Rookie
Cool dude. Where you from?

If you haven't yet, join the facebook group. It has all the information about when and where we meet, and generally where all the announce are made. For tournaments, we have monthly Upstate Battle Series tournaments that get around 40-50 entrants. There's another monthly tournament series in Syracuse run by Mana that gets upwards of 80-90 people. We're also playing around with the idea of having bi-weeklys at RIT.
Im from Long Island and go to locals here when i can. I have been getting pretty serious with melee and will attend the bi weeklies as much as possible. If i find a crt that i can bring up there i will bring it to tourneys. Look forward to playing you guys.

Top Bottom