• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We're running EXPERIMENTAL rules tomorrow!

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Honestly? I have no issues with OGA... but a lot of people complain that even though the stage is technically balanced and fair, the players end up fighting the stage, instead of fighting each other.
That's basically what's going on in my thread. And another problem is that until you learn the basics of the stage(AKA, play it for an hour or two with the goal to learn the stage), it's basically a chaotic random SDfest. Adding to this, meaning that the usual only experience with the stage is All Star Hard 3V1, it has, by far, the worst first impression of any stage in the entirety of Smash Bros.

if the stage ever gets legal despite all that, I'll throw a party cheer.

Jaxel

Behind the Curtain...
Premium
Yeah, thats my feeling. People hate it because they dont KNOW the stage.

NNID
Budget_Player
That's basically what's going on in my thread. And another problem is that until you learn the basics of the stage(AKA, play it for an hour or two with the goal to learn the stage), it's basically a chaotic random SDfest.
Why do I constantly get the feeling that I am better than everyone else at this game?!

Seriously, it's not that hard. I don't get it. I'm so lost. I figured out how OGA worked within like two games there.

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
Although I hate to bring the OGA discussion here, there is no reason to legalize a stage that no one likes. Whether or not it's actually a decent stage is besides the point, it's whether it will be healthy for the metagame. However, in experimental tournament format, it's completely fine, as everything is outside of everyone's comfort zone anyways. Imo you should go ahead with putting OGA in this experimental format, just don't try adding it into a normal format if you ever switch back.

Last edited:

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
orbital gate assault has a lot of things that come with little warning and massive damage, missiles, arwing fire, the fighting ground exploding. a fight on this god damn stage is like actually playing star fox with a jammed A button, you spend most of it avoiding ****

Jaxel

Behind the Curtain...
Premium
Okay, I've updated the first post with our current rules.

I also want to point out that 80% of the people who come to our tournaments DONT follow these rules. If both players agree to use standard rules, then they can do so. Most of the time, people just gentlemans to Smashville. However, there are a few players who like the rules. Having these rules allows them to say no to Smashville and play some more variety.

Bujuhh

Smash Rookie
NNID
bujuhh
3DS FC
1822-0022-5425
Okay, I've updated the first post with our current rules.

I also want to point out that 80% of the people who come to our tournaments DONT follow these rules. If both players agree to use standard rules, then they can do so. Most of the time, people just gentlemans to Smashville. However, there are a few players who like the rules. Having these rules allows them to say no to Smashville and play some more variety.
Hmm... If most of the players just gentleman to smashville dont you think that gradually more and more people would just say hey, screw these rules, lets just play standard since every other tournament is standard. Wouldnt this just weed out the new system you have in place?

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
IDK if this is still a thing, but I'm all for trying out new things like stages. One of the stages that has come to my attention recently is Wily Castle. At first it sounds insane because it's a boss stage, but after reading ParanoidDrone's analysis on the competitive boards I'm not sure it can be lumped in with Pyrosphere and Gaur Plain.

The stage is the smallest out of all 3 of the boss stages (Gaur Plain is definitely out and Pyrosphere is pretty wide as well - I like it for friendlies though, the ironic metahumor of Ridley is a huge plus for it). It's got basically an omega layout with walls until the platforms come but the platforms are constantly moving, which ParanoidDrone suggests would not make them too campy. Lastly, though there's a valid point that he definitely crowds the stage, the yellow devil (or pac-man's mutant cousin as I like to call him) has only one move that KOs below 300%, and that move is entirely dependent on the player to take the boss out and not random.

Jaxel

Behind the Curtain...
Premium
Looking at thew new stage "Super Mario Maker"... the stage is randomly designed, but it does not change during the match... In my rules, this stage would be considered legal. It would be a measure of ADAPTABILITY by the players.

Top Bottom