• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Went back to playing Melee.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
It feels weird, having Project M and getting to play as Ike, not to mention a balanced Captain Falcon, Roy, and Mewtwo. But for some reason, I'm drawn to playing Melee right now. Maybe its "official" quality coupled with its competitive style drew me back into the game.

I was playing Smash Fest at Best Buy and I got to play several times. Rather than picking different characters, I was drawn to using Marth for most of those, and I did quite well against the other players. I like his style, his ease of use, and his range, speed, and kill power at the tip of the sword. So I decided to play some Melee to get me amped for SSB4. But why am I picking SSBM over Project M? It can't just be because my Wii isn't hacked, so loading Project M comes with a number of restarts due to the system glitching.

And not only that, since playing Melee again, I've been practicing heavily with Lvl.9 CPUs attempting new combos. I've never been into competitive Melee at all - no wavedashing or anything. Just feels fun getting to practice all of a sudden. I'm using Marth, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Falco, Fox, Mario, and Peach (in that order).

oats_

Smash Apprentice
You are picking melee over Project M because it is a better game. I'm not knocking PM, but the physics in it are just slightly off from melee, it just doesnt feel as good. (It's still an amazing game which I play).

Stop practicing against CPUs. Do you have a somewhat-good computer? Hop onto netplay and play vs. real players from around the world.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Yeah, if I had more players in my area, I would play them. How does netplay work for Melee and is it stable?

It feels weird, having Project M and getting to play as Ike, not to mention a balanced Captain Falcon, Roy, and Mewtwo. But for some reason, I'm drawn to playing Melee right now. Maybe its "official" quality coupled with its competitive style drew me back into the game.

I was playing Smash Fest at Best Buy and I got to play several times. Rather than picking different characters, I was drawn to using Marth for most of those, and I did quite well against the other players. I like his style, his ease of use, and his range, speed, and kill power at the tip of the sword. So I decided to play some Melee to get me amped for SSB4. But why am I picking SSBM over Project M? It can't just be because my Wii isn't hacked, so loading Project M comes with a number of restarts due to the system glitching.

And not only that, since playing Melee again, I've been practicing heavily with Lvl.9 CPUs attempting new combos. I've never been into competitive Melee at all - no wavedashing or anything. Just feels fun getting to practice all of a sudden. I'm using Marth, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Falco, Fox, Mario, and Peach (in that order).
You know I really have no idea how to respond to this other than good luck I suppose? Bit of a brief conversation.

You are picking melee over Project M because it is a better game. I'm not knocking PM, but the physics in it are just slightly off from melee, it just doesnt feel as good. (It's still an amazing game which I play).

Stop practicing against CPUs. Do you have a somewhat-good computer? Hop onto netplay and play vs. real players from around the world.
Eh, I wouldn't knock it until you try it for this mentality. Getting basic movements and attack timings is literally the first step to improving. Its not exactly something you can do easily only playing people. I prefer the idea that people start out with CPU until you reach a certain level where you need to start playing other people to get an idea of where to go next. Even then playing CPU is not terrible provided its well focused on something you are trying to improve such as perhaps a CG with certain characters. It is true though that CPU play eventually gets diminishing returns.

oats_

Smash Apprentice
Eh, I wouldn't knock it until you try it for this mentality. Getting basic movements and attack timings is literally the first step to improving. Its not exactly something you can do easily only playing people. I prefer the idea that people start out with CPU until you reach a certain level where you need to start playing other people to get an idea of where to go next. Even then playing CPU is not terrible provided its well focused on something you are trying to improve such as perhaps a CG with certain characters. It is true though that CPU play eventually gets diminishing returns.
Yeah, I just re-read the first post where he said that he never played "competitively" (with wavedashing and such). It would probably be beneficial to just grind out the basic tech skills. You play marth, learn things like jump cancel grab, your out of shield options (airs, wavedash etc OOS), SHFFLing your aerials (you can do two forward airs in one short hop if you dont fast fall).

You need to be able to move your character as you want to before you begin learning about combos and such, so get a good tech foundation.

That is one part of it. I simply remember my own issues with Melee when I first started out. I sort of jumped to playing people without really practicing on my own. After a summer of grinding down on the CPU for awhile it really ironed out a rough understanding of movement, tech skill, and punishment. Which honestly at lower levels of play in anything you do the person with the better consistency wins most often. I think after this you really have to start figuring out how to force people into making mistakes or put them in situations where you can capitalize on mistakes or bad position.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Project M movement feels staggered, and the physics feel ... not buggy per se, but sloppy compared with Melee. You can tell the difference between amateur programmers and Sakurai in his prime.

Project M movement feels staggered, and the physics feel ... not buggy per se, but sloppy compared with Melee. You can tell the difference between amateur programmers and Sakurai in his prime.
Wow. Not exactly the best way to respect P:M team lol They are not creating something new from scratch that the original nintendo team had. They have to take an existing structure and make do with what they have. I think its amazing to see what they have been able to do Brawl without actually starting from the ground up.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I wasn't trying to be disrespectful. I greatly appreciate what they are trying to do. However, the game has some glaring balancing issues and I don't like the way the physics feel. Only Brawl original characters seem to have decent physics (like Metaknight).

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
This is true. Melee just...it just...I don't know how to explain it.

Hell, I liked Brawl more for two reasons: It had Ike and online play, and one of those is gone now.

Twitchy

Smash Cadet
I've been practicing heavily with Lvl.9 CPUs attempting new combos.
If you're gonna do that, don't play against lv9's. Level 9 bots always DI up and away, level 7's vary their DI (somewhat randomly I think) which is obviously better for practicing so you can work on comboing against different DI.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Melee just has a feel that makes it fun. You can't kick it. Project M is all plastered with brawl graphics and sound effects. Melee is satisfying.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Let me know when Sakurai programs the next Smash in ASM.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Warning Received
I'm not saying that you guys are bad programmers. I'm just saying that there's a reason why you're modding a game and not making one.

Twitchy

Smash Cadet
I'm actually pretty sure that Brawl's bulky feel and choppy mechanics were programmed that way on purpose, not out of inexperience/inability. Sakurai really hated that Melee grew to such a popular competitive game, and has even announced that publicly. Things like random tripping in Brawl were programmed in to intentionally spite competitive players, and hinder Brawl's viability as a competitive game.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
I'm actually pretty sure that Brawl's bulky feel and choppy mechanics were programmed that way on purpose, not out of inexperience/inability. Sakurai really hated that Melee grew to such a popular competitive game, and has even announced that publicly. Things like random tripping in Brawl were programmed in to intentionally spite competitive players, and hinder Brawl's viability as a competitive game.
What an ass wipe. I mean geez. For real. Did he get four stocked by someone who enjoyed and practiced the game more than he did?

Competitive play doesn't affect casual players. The reason melee is so great is that it caters to both. We still have a huge competitive population, and yet still, every time we have guests or old friends over the first game we play is SSBM even though nobody knows what a "wavedash" is. Lol tripping.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Make sure you download and try the 20XX Training Hack Pack in the Melee Workshop area... its amazing dude, and it keeps getting better.

D

Deleted member 245254

What an *** wipe. I mean geez. For real. Did he get four stocked by someone who enjoyed and practiced the game more than he did?

Competitive play doesn't affect casual players. The reason melee is so great is that it caters to both. We still have a huge competitive population, and yet still, every time we have guests or old friends over the first game we play is SSBM even though nobody knows what a "wavedash" is. Lol tripping.
Yeah, a real ass-wipe, that guy. He only made the game you play top to bottom.

Someone who feels they need or have the right to insult Sakurai because he made a decision they didn't agree with...those are the real ass-wipes...

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Yeah, a real ***-wipe, that guy. He only made the game you play top to bottom.

Someone who feels they need or have the right to insult Sakurai because he made a decision they didn't agree with...those are the real ***-wipes...

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Went back and practiced some more. Got a Captain Falcon FThrow + Knee and UpThrow + UAir combo down. Actually did a Ken Combo with Marth, but that's all I really know how to do with him besides an FThrow chaingrab or FThrow into tipper FSmash. I use Peach Level 9 A.I. since she's the toughest one to kill. They may not DI, but they can read me better. Level 7s are just fodder.

Still trying Ganondorf, but it's mostly about Dairs to me. Finally managed to do L-Canceling and SHFFLing for the first time. It's amazing how much you can learn in this game.

What should I know about Marth and Sheik combos?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
What can you guys tell me about Sheik combos and her most effective playing style?

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Sheik starts out noob-friendly but becomes a finesse character more as you play better people. Down-throw combos floaties and dash attack/f-tilt combo fast fallers.

Her aerials are really good, especially back-air. Practice using her aerials fast and well spaced.

Max?

Smash Champion
I'm not saying that you guys are bad programmers. I'm just saying that there's a reason why you're modding a game and not making one.

Dude, are you ********? I don't even like PM but wow, way to **** on these guys for no reason at all.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Don't take it out of context. I even said I wasn't trying to bash them. I was just making an objective comparison between both games, on the basis of their physics engines.

Kadano

Magical Express
Don't take it out of context. I even said I wasn't trying to bash them. I was just making an objective comparison between both games, on the basis of their physics engines.
It was Sakurai who made the stupid Brawl engine, though. PM developers improved it, although I personally don’t feel they reached the Melee standard either, judging from how it feels and looks to me.

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
I'm still amused that people think Sakurai singlehandedly coded and created smash brothers in some paper-walled Japanese house somewhere. He's not a programmer, his biggest contributions to the game are scenario design and basically all of the hitbox, weight, scenario, and stage data in 64 and melee.

In that regard, the project M devs are doing nearly as much as sakurai did in making a brawl and melee. They are editing character, scenario, and stage data within the engine and implementing novel and interesting ways to play the game.

Project M may not ever be able to overcome all of the problems in the brawl engine and feel exactly like melee, but I think the path they're on now, attempting to innovate within the confines of the modified brawl engine, has and will continue to yield a new and interesting experience.

On top of that, the game is definitely competitive, hopefully it keeps getting better.

Max?

Smash Champion
You said you weren't trying to bash them, yet you did it anyway. I don't see the point of your post aside from inadvertently taking these guys down a peg by saying "you aren't as good as the guys that are getting paid". Who the **** cares? The product they are putting out is enjoyed by WAY more people in the community then the game it's based on, and is a massive success in and out of scene. So why post at all?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
On the one hand, I appreciate their incredible effort and all the work put into developing the game. I just don't appreciate the fact that we "lose" some players to P:M. But it's unavoidable I guess.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Wow. Not exactly the best way to respect P:M team lol They are not creating something new from scratch that the original nintendo team had. They have to take an existing structure and make do with what they have. I think its amazing to see what they have been able to do Brawl without actually starting from the ground up.
sorry but he did not disrespect the pm team at all in the post you're quoting
not to say he didn't in his later posts
but he was only stating his opinions on the physics etc
and the pm team are the definition of amateur so calling them that is not disrespectful in any way
amateur: engaging or engaged in without payment; nonprofessional.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
It's sad to say, but I don't want to hack my Wii again. I had to unhack it because it wouldn't play Kirby properly. I could hack my Wii to make it convenient and easy to play P:M, but I'm just not arsed enough to do it. Doing the non-hack method takes 5 minutes I don't need and sometimes it glitches and errors up, so that's a restart right there. Would rather just play Melee.

#firstworldproblems

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Same here, getting ready to mod my wii and install the 20xx hax pack, as well as learning some advanced techs I never got down when I played in high school. Plus the melee community is gonna be around a long time so it's worth it in the long run. I just ordered that white gamecube controller today, so once it comes in I'm hitting the grind again

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Hate to say it, but I'm probably gonna shelve Melee once SSB4 hits. I like your icon, by the way. F-Zero is one hell of a series. GX is literally the reason why I started using Captain Falcon in Melee and Project M. But I'm just doing Melee casually because I like it and want friends to play with. No way am I going to beat 13 years of experience with the game, so I don't think I'm ever gonna do tournaments. Sticking to SSB4 since it's a fresh start for everyone.

Currently using: Marth, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Sheik, and Link as my main characters. Then Dr. Mario, Peach, Fox, and Falco as my secondaries.

Last edited:

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Hate to say it, but I'm probably gonna shelve Melee once SSB4 hits. I like your icon, by the way. F-Zero is one hell of a series. GX is literally the reason why I started using Captain Falcon in Melee and Project M. But I'm just doing Melee casually because I like it and want friends to play with. No way am I going to beat 13 years of experience with the game, so I don't think I'm ever gonna do tournaments. Sticking to SSB4 since it's a fresh start for everyone.

Currently using: Marth, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Sheik, and Link as my main characters. Then Dr. Mario, Peach, Fox, and Falco as my secondaries.
I'll definitely get SSB4 when it comes out, and probably play it quite a bit, but it's looking like the game won't really harbor the fun atmosphere that Melee and P:M have, but rather the floatiness, unresponsiveness, and stall-wars of Brawl. I wouldn't let the 13-years of experience excuse keep you away from tournaments. Look at me, and you, and everyone else like us!!! Melee is getting more and more popular, so new players will always be joining.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Are they now? I figured the only ones really playing Melee now are the longtime vets of the game.

But I digress. SSB4 looks interesting enough for me to play. If the roster is more balanced than Brawl, there's no tripping, and For Glory is a worthy mode, then regardless of advanced tactics or not, it'll definitely be my game.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Last edited:
Top Bottom