• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Welcome to The Melee Games!

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
When one thinks about interscholastic rivalries, thoughts of college football, March Madness, and other sports-related events come to mind. However, thanks to the creative thinking and hard work of Melee It On Me's MattDotZeb, a new interscholastic event was created, dubbed The Melee Games.

BEHOLD.​

The concept is fairly simple, a single elimination tournament where the participants are crews of Smashers from schools. The first semester, TMG was a New England exclusive, with 10 schools entering. These various schools played against each other in Crew Battle format with a minimum of five entrants per crew, and a maximum of fifteen. However, the format of these crew battles is slightly different than a traditional crew battle. Lineups must be submitted prior to the matches with the starting player locked. In contrast to a normal crew battle, all players are character locked. In an homage to classic crew battles, only three stages are legal without any banning: Final Destination, Battlefield, and Dreamland.

The Melee Games finals of Spring 2014 getting HYPE.

For the second semester, with the help of co-organizer and Tristate division manager, HectoHertz, The Melee Games expanded to include both the Tristate and New England regions. Over fifty schools entered, including notable schools such as Harvard University, University of Pennsylvania, University of New Hampshire, Brown, and even Berklee College of Music! Now, only two remain. Captain Falcon main Klap$ and University of Massachusetts – Boston are representing New England after a big victory against the Spring 2014 champions of MIT, whilst the underdogs of Columbia bested Rutgers in order to represent Tristate. After months of schools battling it out, the Grand Finals of The Melee Games of Fall 2014 will take place at the Apex 2015 Salty Suite to determine which university will take home the gold as the best Smash college in the Northeast.

In terms of advancing Super Smash Bros. further into the eSports conversation, broad-scale, accessible events such as The Melee Games give a window into the potential that this community has. In fact, MattDotZeb has already expanded this hugely successful event into the West Coast. That's right, this upcoming Spring, The Melee Games are coming to California! With 36 teams and 211 players already signed up for California, this edition of The Melee Games is shaping up to be massive. Notable top Smashers like PewPewU representing UCSC and SFat representing College of San Mateo are already signed up.

If you're attending a school in California and interested in signing up for The Melee Games, click here!

If you'd like to see the bracket for The Melee Games of Fall 2014, click here!

Special thanks to MattDotZeb for all his help! If you want to hear more from MIOM|MattDotZeb, click here to check out the DotBlog! Matt posts every Wednesday at 12 PM. Follow him on Twitter @DotZeb, and be sure to click here to check out The Melee Games on Facebook!
KhanYe is going on hiatus for finals for medical school. Follow him on Twitter @aymangolassi to cheer him up. Go UMass Boston!

Last edited:

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
SUNY colleges were involved in the tristate division this fall. They will also be in the spring, of course.
Do you think MCC would be able to get involved in the next NY Melee games, Im not gonna be there for long Im only at MCC for a semester or two more before i either head to Montreal, or one of the Suny schools. I CANT WAIT AN ENTIRE YEAR!!!!

SyMag

Smash Cadet
NNID
PKThunda
3DS FC
1805-2965-9302
This is something that I think would be cool to have for PM as well, and especially Smash Wii U now that that's out. The Melee Games are great, and it's already clear that it has the potential to expand!

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
Nice concept and I hope it does well, but are you guys just going to stick to Melee? I mean Melee is great and all, but with other Smash games out there that people may prefer to play over Melee it's quite limiting in a sense.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Will you be considering expanding the stagelist to all the neutrals for the spring? The current list is limiting in some matchups and not in line with the current ruleset.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Melee will never die. Sadly I will never gonna play melee again.
I already told because why I don,t play melee.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Nice concept and I hope it does well, but are you guys just going to stick to Melee? I mean Melee is great and all, but with other Smash games out there that people may prefer to play over Melee it's quite limiting in a sense.
Just melee for now. None of the organizers really have a passion for the other games. I don't want to invest time in a game I have no interest in (Brawl or Smash 4). PM will never be considered unless Nintedo clears it.

Last edited:

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Will you be considering expanding the stagelist to all the neutrals for the spring? The current list is limiting in some matchups and not in line with the current ruleset.
Possibly. We had a feedback form go up and with 80+ replies that was not infrequently mentioned. Its being discussed.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Do you think MCC would be able to get involved in the next NY Melee games, Im not gonna be there for long Im only at MCC for a semester or two more before i either head to Montreal, or one of the Suny schools. I CANT WAIT AN ENTIRE YEAR!!!!
MCC would have to meet a minimum of 5 sign ups to participate.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I've been hearing of this from my college's Smash club; they signed up for this event. Since I'm not competitive, I'm not signing up, but it's interesting to know I could've gotten involved in something like this.
...Oh, well. I guess I'll just cheer my college on when this happens.

DibsOnThat

Smash Rookie
The midwest, particularly Ohio, has a ton of colleges, I wonder would it would take to get something like this started out here.

Loup

The Wolf
NNID
Frishy
3DS FC
0877-0305-4883
I was bummed my school couldn't find 5 players who were willing to do this.

Nice to see it getting the attention though.

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
Lmao I should get my little brother to form a team, Greg Anderson Elementary School would kick ass, those Kids are hella talented when it comes to test scores and gaming.

Last edited:

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Does this do High School. I want to start one, and I'm from central California. If I can gather a team I will.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
While I'm not a Melee player, it is awesome to see something like this take hold. This advances both the smash scenes and fighting games in general; congratulations MattdotZeb, this is amazing.

tarmon2121

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tarmon2121
3DS FC
5000-2165-4045
Man, I really hope this will be in NC by the time I'm in college (sophomore right now)

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Man these events really bring the hype. I hope other states get in on this as well, then we might be able to have a national Melee Games. It would be the best schools from each area facing off against other.

Now that would be friggin hype!

ShyDude

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5370-0886-7297
Can we bring this to the Ohio and Michigan region? There are some big communities here.

Dopplegamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dopplegamer211
3DS FC
4554-0398-0942
Why can't we have this in Ohio? I know plenty of Ohio University Smashers(myself included) would love to do this.

Last edited:

ShyDude

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5370-0886-7297
Why can't we have this in Ohio? There's I know plenty of Ohio University Smashers(myself included) would love to do this.
Exactly what I am saying! I go to UT and we don't have a big scene or a very good one here but it would be motivation for people to get better!

Top Bottom