• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Welcome to the Maze! A Beginners Pac-Man Guide - (In-depth Apple + Melon Guide Added)

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
What is the best/most efficient way to acquire z-droppable fruit? I have not found a consistent method of charging for a fruit then being able to z-drop it for later use.
The Galaxian is the easiest one to get, followed by the melon. You can grab the Galaxian with a dash attack or short hop aerial while it loops. You can grab the melon in a similar fashion because of how slow it moves. I personally feel the Galaxian is the best overall for zdropping, as it is easiest to combo with and quickly racks up damage. Others enjoy the melon for easy hydrant launching shenanigans.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
It should be noted that the Meteor Trampoline also has a weak meteor smash hitbox underneath the trampoline whenever someone bounces on it, in addition to the trampoline itself spiking whoever lands on it while it's red.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
The Galaxian is the easiest one to get, followed by the melon. You can grab the Galaxian with a dash attack or short hop aerial while it loops. You can grab the melon in a similar fashion because of how slow it moves. I personally feel the Galaxian is the best overall for zdropping, as it is easiest to combo with and quickly racks up damage. Others enjoy the melon for easy hydrant launching shenanigans.
Galaxian and Bell are much easier to get than Melon.

But Melon is the _best_ z-drop fruit. Z-Dropped Melon launches the hydrant. Z-Dropped Melon has KO potential (~140% or so, but yeah... I've KOed a guy with z-dropped Melon).

It seems to lead to some shennannigans, I'm not really sure that z-dropping is a solid strategy yet. (Your opponent is free to approach because you're stuck on one fruit... and while holding the fruit you don't have an "A" button...)

Last edited:

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
What is the best/most efficient way to acquire z-droppable fruit? I have not found a consistent method of charging for a fruit then being able to z-drop it for later use.
On Yoshi's if you stand on the edge and throw it back towards the middle, it will get stuck where the stage angles and you can pick up any fruit then. Z-dropping keys is pretty fun.

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
On Yoshi's if you stand on the edge and throw it back towards the middle, it will get stuck where the stage angles and you can pick up any fruit then. Z-dropping keys is pretty fun.
This works to an extent on the left side of Brinstar also

LittlePac

Smash Cadet
are there any videos floating around of the fair > fair > toadstool off-stage combo? For the life of me I can't get the timing right at all on that jump.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Lately, I've been using the key the least of all the fruits. I've been finding uses and applications for all of the others, while the key has actually been taking a backseat. I rarely even use it as a finisher anymore, as I find the majority of my kills coming from orange gimps and the rare grape/apple kill.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Guys... it isn't a grape... >_< It has been a melon since 1981!

CCCM89

Smash Ace
Lately, I've been using the key the least of all the fruits. I've been finding uses and applications for all of the others, while the key has actually been taking a backseat. I rarely even use it as a finisher anymore, as I find the majority of my kills coming from orange gimps and the rare grape/apple kill.
please explain orange gimping in as much detail as you can.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
please explain orange gimping in as much detail as you can.
As orange has quite a lot of range and is quite fast, recovering opponents can have trouble avoiding it. Its knockback is also horizontal so is very effective at gimping. Simply throw the orange at an opponent who is recovering and this will gimp them unless they are Villager. Nothing gimps Villager.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
As orange has quite a lot of range and is quite fast, recovering opponents can have trouble avoiding it. Its knockback is also horizontal so is very effective at gimping. Simply throw the orange at an opponent who is recovering and this will gimp them unless they are Villager. Nothing gimps Villager.
there are a few things that gimp villager. namely having good enough aim to pop his balloons. key is great for that.

but yeah, I hardly ever use orange outside of pulling it out in emergencies. I'll try using it for gimping and see if I can kill at lower percentages with this. I know I've done it with cherries and strawberries on occasion, but that takes a certain amount of additional positioning.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
It should be noted that while Orange is hard to avoid because its fast... Melon is hard to avoid because it is slow. I've gimped a lot of enemies with melon. Actually, its less of a "gimp" and more of a "wtf solid KO". Use melon to cover "recovering mid" and then drop down low and use nair if your opponent air dodges the melon.

Melon IMO is more useful vs Lucario, Rosalina, and other characters with great recovery. These characters need a "solid" KO to stay down. So Melon + Nair is my goto off-stage technique.

Orange is useful vs Little Mac, Gannondorf, Ike, and so forth, it WOULD be useful vs Mario if his damn cape didn't reflect it AND give him slightly better recovery.

Last edited:

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Hi guys. Sorry I have been away for a month. Work has kept me busy ... But now I am free to continue working on some Pac some more. I LOVE the advance technique thread.. I decided that I am gonna turn this thread into a newbies guide to Pac-man. The first place someone can go to in order to learn the character. Ill keep the advance tech category but I will keep it basic and shallow as to not take away from the advance tech thread.

I will then LINK @ AGES AGES thread so they can further develop their advance tech. http://smashboards.com/threads/pac-attack-advanced-techniques-and-strategy-guide.373546/page-3

What do you think? BTW that key catching off the lip of the stage by ABUDANGO is amazing.. If only I could do 100% lol

Starting the bonus fruit advance section today. beginning with the apple.

Here is my apple write up... It is not too shallow, not to techy (as to not take away from the advance tech guide) I plan on filling out the rest of the bonus fruit section in this way in my advance tech section.

The Apple

Cycle: 4th on the Bonus Fruit Cycle

Launch: The apple launches your opponents vertically with a slight path to left or right depending on where hit.

The apple is the only fruit that can launch and KO an opponent on a vertical angle so keep that in mind when fighting opponents on stages with low ceilings or low vertical KO weight.

Properties/Uses: When it is thrown on the ground, the apple bounces towards your opponent dealing 9% damage if it connects. The apple can bounce approximately 4 times before disappearing.

When thrown in the air, the apple comes down on an angle. This is great for catching opponents off guard (as they are sometimes unaware of which fruit you have stored) and for break through pesky projectile spammers.

The apple is great for ledge guarding. Try throwing it near the ledge on a recovering opponent!

Z-drop: The best way to access the apple for Z-dropping is to throw it against the water blast of the fire hydrant or catching it rebounding off an opponent or their shield. Depending on when thrown, the apple will either bounces slightly upwards or travel along the water current to your feet. Be quick when picking it up or it will disappear or your opponent can grab it for themselves!

Have fun dropping apples for
9%!

Hydrant Gushing?: Not sure if this is what it is called. When you throw a fruit against the water current. (needs more testing)

Last edited:

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Also.. If someone could test out the apples properties while hydrant gushing or fruit gushing.. or whatever it is called for me.. that would be great.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
A cool combo I use with the apple is the Fruit Triangle.

The Recipe:
When the opponent is recovering low:
-Throw an apple
-Opponent gets knocked up....
-In the right place for a nice orange.

If the opponent is going low again, repeat, if not spam oranges.

Note: Replace Apples with Hydrants for a watery taste

Happy Cooking!

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
^ I like that.. might be good for the advance tech and strategie thread though! trying to keep this basic to mid level play as to not clutter and confuse new players.

*Also gonna add percents that the fruit kills Mario mid stage.

Here is my new Melon guide.

The Melon

Cycle: 4th on the Bonus Fruit Cycle
Damage: 12%
Kill %: The melon kills Mario, mid-stage on FD at around 155%
Launch:
The melon launches your opponents in an upwards 45 degree angle.
Properties/Strategies: When it is thrown on the ground and air the melon travels across the stage slowly and on a very slight arch. Due to the melon's slow moving nature this fruit makes for an excellent mix up to your fruit game especially if your opponents are used to you throwing faster fruit. The change in speed often throws your opponents off guard

The melon travels a pretty good distance and due to it's slow moving properties it allows Pac-Man to trail behind it after thrown. This can lead to many interesting follow ups such as dash attack, throw, sh nair, regrab the melon on shield block or hit for a quick z-drop etc.

When positioned mid stage and thrown, the melon can ledge guard recovering opponents.

Due to the long range of this attack, the melon can also reach opponents who are far away from the stage!

Z-drop: The best way to access the melon for Z-dropping is to throw it and follow up the melon for a regrab either off an opponent or by catching it before it hits them.

A safer option is to jump off the stage and throw it against the lip or wall of the stage. The melon will reflect slowly back towards Pac-Man allowing for an easy regrab. Remember that when doing this do not waist your initial double jump or you may not be able to come back.

A z-dropped melon does its normal 12% This allows it to be used to launch your hydrant with a z-drop. Simply air drop the hydrant and quickly z-drop your melon sending both the melon and hydrant flying! Both moves can actually hit your opponent racking up the percent!

Fruit Gushing: When the melon is thrown against the hydrant current it bounces and rises slowly in an upwards direction.

Last edited:

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Ugh.. I guess we dont have an active moderator on this forum? I wanted this thread closed so I can just update the one guide page. Since this thread wasnt made into an official guide thread.

dr_six

Smash Cadet
Nice tutorial ptrk83, but I believe the best way to access the melon for z-dropping is to simply throw down the hydrant, run off of it, and b reverse the melon into the hydrant. You can regrab the melon with an fair, and your opponent will be busy trying to avoid being hit by the hydrant.

Top Bottom