• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Welcome To EliteGSP.com, A New GSP Tracking Website For Elite Smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotrod08

Smash Rookie
Welcome to EliteGSP.com (also EliteSmash.com), a community-run Super Smash Bros. Ultimate website dedicated to providing you the best ballpark estimates of the GSP needed to enter Elite Smash!

The site is simple: by using data posted constantly by fellow Smashers, we calculate the last week's worth of GSPs posted and dipslay an overall GSP ballpark required for Elite Smash, as well as character-specific numbers too!

Speaking of data posted constantly, if you ever earn Elite Smash, please post the GSP onto the website right as you reach Elite so that we can keep our databases up to date and provide the best numbers to the rest of the community!

As time goes on, I am hoping to continue perfecting the site and making it a resource that is trusted by everyone.

Thanks again for being here for the launch of the website, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask

Dylan (Hotrod08)

TL/DR: New website, www.EliteGSP.com, dedicated to consistently keeping the GSP required to reach Elite Smash displayed at a moments notice.

Feel free to quit reading this post now, as everything necessary has been said, but if you'd like some extra info/bonus facts on the website's unseen features, lets go for it!

-Currently, the Average GSP is calculated by using only the last 7 days worth of data. At that point, the GSP entered will be dropped out of the equation, keeping the displayed Average GSP (as well as character-specific GSPs) fresh

-To combat false/wild GSPs from being entered, the website uses an equation to single down what GSPs can and cannot be entered. If you go to the website currently and try to enter either 8 million or 2 into the GSP, you'll be swiftly rejected

-Along the same lines, a single person has a limit as to how many GSPs they can enter, both as a whole, and character-specific, before they're allowed to post for them again.

-To save on your web loading times, GSP calculations aren't done every time you enter the website. Instead, a private web page runs the calculations for GSP every 30 minutes, while the page statistics are updated every hour and then stores those numbers for quick access.

-To also save on data/loading times, the website's functionality is all AJAX, meaning that posting new GSPs and checking different characters GSPs are all done w/o having to refresh the page!

-For some reason, the website that I got the flares from had worse quality Mii Icons (Gunner, Brawler, and Swordfighter) than any other character in the game, so if someone finds good-quality Mii Icons that are 64x64, please let me know!

-The total costs of this project for one year, which includes 2 domain names, 1 hosting plan, and the logo equaled to $116.80. Actually not bad considering! This does imply that I didn't hire anyone for the coding design, which was just the 1-man team :p

-RIP my Kirby in Ultimate :(

peekpeek

Smash Cadet
EDIT: This is a very well-designed webpage, and there's a lot of room for good visualizations and reporting. Top banner should be "Highest GSP reported", and a chart that shows how it has increased with time, along with the estimate cutoff. However, I think a lot of the basic ideas for the tracking are misguided.

"7 days worth of data"

That is probably too long. Total/Highest GSP is only going up. The error in the estimate is going to be increased by using data that is that stale. The total GSP is going up somewhere between 20k and 100k per day, while the Elite margin is in the ballpark of the top ~100k right now. So even data that is a few days old is wildly out of date. If Elite is the highest 3% of ranks, then the Elite pool size increases at only 3% of the rate of the overall pool, so it is a lot easier to mentally ballpark.

Honestly, in most circumstances, you're going to be better off by taking the "Highest Known GSP" (based on streamers or screenshots) and multiplying it by 0.97 or 0.965.

All signs point to the GSP requirement being the same for each character, but you can't see the underlying MMR so it is hard to say what that actually means. It is possible that a lower rating (not ranking) for a less played character gets into Elite, because there's fewer players playing that character at the high end. Just looking through the data, all of the GSP scores for Elite for every character looks to be in the same ballpark, and that any difference between them is noise-level fluctuation from the GSP swing per match, data being stale, and basic reporting errors.

If you are going to use an average, it should be a weighted average where scores are weighted less the longer in the past they were entered. That's probably totally moot, though.

Some estimates:

Daily Increase in highest GSP (i.e. total number of "players" that have ever used online mode): ~50,000 (A)
Daily Increase in size of Elite Pool (# of each character in Elite): ~1500 (0.03 * A)
Daily Increase in Threshold to enter Elite: ~48,500 (0.97 *A)

You can come up with different estimates for A. 40 days since the game launch and 3.3M gives an average of around 82,500 per day, but the growth was highest in the very first few days, and has probably slowed considerably by then. "A" could be as low as ~15,K right now.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Is this purely public-submitted data? Do you have a count based on how many people submitted per character?

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 10.11.48 PM.png

As I do not believe this is correct

Crystanium

Smash Hero
This could be handy. I don't have my GSP on me right now since my Switch is off, but if placing my GSP can help contribute, that's pretty neat. I believe I'm in the 4 million margin.

peekpeek

Smash Cadet
This could be handy. I don't have my GSP on me right now since my Switch is off, but if placing my GSP can help contribute, that's pretty neat. I believe I'm in the 4 million margin.
Nobody is that high. Max right now is likely a shade over 3.5M, so the elite threshold is a right around 3.9M.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Nobody is that high. Max right now is likely a shade over 3.5M, so the elite threshold is a right around 3.9M.
You're right. I thought we all entered around the 4 million mark by now, but yeah. Also, if I am winning matches, but only receive say about 1k or maybe even 20k, is this indicative of being so high up with a particular character that if my GSP was lower, I'd be receiving more GSP?

peekpeek

Smash Cadet
You're right. I thought we all entered around the 4 million mark by now, but yeah. Also, if I am winning matches, but only receive say about 1k or maybe even 20k, is this indicative of being so high up with a particular character that if my GSP was lower, I'd be receiving more GSP?
GSP is just your rank, basically. If you are near the middle, there's more players on that MMR range, so your Rank swings more per game. At the top there are fewer players, so you pass fewer players with each win or loss.

peekpeek

Smash Cadet
So this updated to now only use 3 days worth of data rather than 7. That's a big improvement in the reliability, especially as the overall rate of GSP growth has slowed.

I don't think there's any indication that GSP treshholds differ between characters, so you should show a top-level average. If you're getting ~349 in three days, that is 5 data points per character, which is then a sufficient source of noise.

Looking at just the last 24 or 36 hours and doing an average is going to be better than than looking at 3 days worth of data but splitting it out 74 different ways.

Hotrod08

Smash Rookie
So this updated to now only use 3 days worth of data rather than 7. That's a big improvement in the reliability, especially as the overall rate of GSP growth has slowed.

I don't think there's any indication that GSP treshholds differ between characters, so you should show a top-level average. If you're getting ~349 in three days, that is 5 data points per character, which is then a sufficient source of noise.

Looking at just the last 24 or 36 hours and doing an average is going to be better than than looking at 3 days worth of data but splitting it out 74 different ways.
That's the community consensus (that each character's GSP limits are the same). Some people still like the functionality though, but I'm going to move it from the top of the page to the bottom of the page soon and add a top GSP calculator, as well as a what percentile are you calculator.

The character's GSP's are calculated a bit differently than the average though, which keeps it not needing as many GSP posts for that character, but still will be phased out as a main attraction.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I noticed you put some Easter eggs on the GSP percentage bit. Why am I not surprised to see that number. :rolleyes:

Also wow I didn't think you would actually put in (the number that starts with 2) and (the number that starts with 4), especially the first one. I think I've found like 10 so far and I wonder how many are actually there

Edit: make that 11

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Your stats are wrong. It says my GSP is higher than 98.36%. But since I have been using about 0.8% of my skill it is impossible for me to be below 0.4% of players. Unless your percentage is a lower bound, meaning that I am at least higher than 98.36%. In that case your website is correct.

So please either fix your stats or make it clear that the percentage given is a lower bound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom