• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weird Controller Configs

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
Your analog stick is in better condition than mine if you don't accidentally waste jumps. Mine is bad enough such that on some days speed hugging is extremely easy and on other days absolutely impossible. On really bad days, Wofl walks when I'm trying to dash. :(

As for DI, it's just that I use diagonals to move so that I always have an upwards vector in case I get hit when unprepared (example: I use up and away to walk backwards). You can't do that with tap jump on.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
While technically possible, buffering up just to accommodate tap jump on is really not practical. There are numerous chances to accidentally jump when doing so for every move I do (I roll the analog stick a lot in order to DI towards in the air, FF, DI away). I'm not willing to take that risk just to make rising SH aerials a tiny bit easier to perform.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Sure it is. With Brawl's ridiculous 10 frame freeze-frame state for every hit you have a solid chance to DI everything, especially if you saw it coming say, 10 frames ahead of time.

And I don't waste my jumps. Only time maybe is during an Up B, but that has a lot of priority, and I'm usually DIing up, so it's just a matter of avoiding the opponent and getting back on stage.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
You're misunderstanding what I'm doing then. I'm not talking about reacting to an attack and DIing. I'm DIing all the time without knowing if I'm going to get hit or not.

As for reacting to the hit if you see it coming, of course you can DI it in time then. However, unless your reaction time is absolutely monstrous, there are always times that you get hit with something you don't expect. Breaking your current train of thought and reacting to that situation in 10 frames is very difficult, though entirely possible if you're that good.

For example, say you're doing an approaching FH Bair FF Bair. You do the first Bair and are already planning to buffer the FF Bair for speed purposes. However, your first Bair unexpectedly simultaneously hits the opponent's move and sends both of you flying. Reacting to the hit, stopping yourself from buffering the FF Bair, figuring out what trajectory the attack will send you in, and then hitting the perpendicular direction on the analog stick is extremely difficult.

Now take that situation but add the condition of always having an upwards vector. You did the FH Bair with a towards on the analog stick and immediately slide it to diagonal up and away without expecting that you'd get hit. You now have a vertical vector. Due to Bair's reach, chances are that the opponent will use an attack with decent horizontal range if trying to hit you out of it. Most people won't use short ranged attacks and hope to hit Wolf's foot (if they can do this consistently, they're outreading you by a lot). Though there are exceptions, a large portion of moves with that much horizontal range launch you sideways. The upwards vector will then most likely help you survive if you did not react in time. Furthermore, since you're sliding towards up and away, you'll probably get the sideways vector before getting launched, helping against vertical launching attacks. Your DI won't be perfect in most cases, but it'll be better than nothing.

Now, I use that rolling motion a lot. If I have tap jump on, every time I go from a non vertical to a vertical vector, I risk accidentally jumping. That's a risk I don't want to take.

Also, losing your second jump on an up B recovery can be pretty bad too. There are moves that eat right through it and having that second jump can mean a stock.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
A lot of people use tap jump on apparently. That's interesting. Players should weigh the pros and cons of tap jump and make a decision about their control scheme accordingly.

SH rising aerials with tap jump off is honestly pretty easy. If you want to talk about ease of use though, tap jump off makes angling your shield up against moves like MK's Tornado and performing DACIT easier. It's all preference though as one can get used to angling shield and performing DACIT with tap jump on just as easily. The tech skill requirement for stuff like this is really really low after all and shouldn't factor too much into your decision.

The main thing that got on my nerves with tap jump on was when I accidentally perform a jump just prior to my recovery. If I get knocked out of my recovery, I'd be spamming jump and wondering why Wofl was just falling lazily to his doom. There goes a stock. :( My controller's analog stick is jacked up so its lack of precision made this a common occurrence. There's also how I DI significantly better with it off. Living longer is good.

@ Eon

Those questions belong in the ask a quick question get a quick answer thread, not this one. In the future, please go there to ask such questions.

1) Jump shine is performing a down B immediately after jumping. It provides invincibility frames the moment you leave the ground. It's a semi-safe counter since you're in the air and allows you to escape unfavorable situations.

2) Using Attack instead of Grab for DACUS is more lenient in terms of frames. You'll fail less when using Attack. Since DACUS is typically started using dash and cstick down, in order to execute the Attack command fast enough, it has to be done by your index finger. Your options are to claw (move your index finger to the A button) or set L/R/Z to Attack. Since Z responds the fastest due to a lack of springs, it is preferred.

3) Pivot grab is dashing away, immediately turning around, then grabbing. Due to how pivot works, Wofl's grab range extends from where he started the dash, effectively increasing the disjointedness of his grab. Done properly, the opponent will seem to snap into Wofl's claws.
Yeah, sorry ^^;....Thanks.
And in regards to #2; thanks a lot I was kinda confused...I thought you essentially had to have a dash, dsmash, up n grab combo to do dacus ^^;.

back to weird configs;
I tried doing the ctick for normal attack n d pad for smash....it was uh....definitely interesting....probably take a ton to get used to, but cstick has the potential to make all the tilts infinitely easier to get used to, or to just pull out on someone....

Top Bottom