• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Nintendo Corner - Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Are you planning to buy Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker?

• Yes!

Votes: 77 49.0%
  • No.

Votes: 29 18.5%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 51 32.5%

• Total voters

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Welcome to the Weekly Nintendo Corner! Every week, as the weekend nears, Smashboards will be covering a title from the Nintendo pantheon. Most of the time, these are new releases or games that are coming out soon, but we’re not exempt from surprises – Every once in a while, there may be an old classic or forgotten treasure thrown in! Check back every week for the scoop on the upcoming Nintendo games.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

This week’s topic is the Wii U exclusive Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker! Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker uses the Adventures of Captain Toad minigame as a base. In the minigame “Adventures of Captain Toad,” Toad had to navigate through various obstacles in order to get the five green stars at the end of the level. These weren’t just minigames that appeared out of nowhere; they were actually on the map as their own distinct levels.

For a full retail release, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker not only adds in a lot of levels and boss levels but also adds in health, items, a variety of levels, and much more.

Premise

Captain Toad and Toadette are exploring treasures together. When getting a Power Star, they notice feathers from the bird Wingo, who’s described as “a lover of all things shiny”. He grabs the star. Toadette attempts to retrieve it and instead finds herself kidnapped. Captain Toad must then go through the levels collecting Power Stars to fight Wingo and save Toadette. Can he save the day?

Features

For those who have played the Captain Toad levels from Mario 3D World, this game will be easy to pick up. By manipulating the camera and Captain Toad, players explore their way through levels that are not always what they seem! This time around, however, the brave Captain has several more options at his disposal. While he is still unable to jump, he is able to pick up items such as turnips, pickaxes to help him in his quest. There are also sections that appear to use the Game Pad's screen as a first-person feature, allowing Captain Toad to pick off his enemies with turnips. Bosses such as the dragon above will also switch up gameplay significantly. This is what has been shown so far, but it's easy to imagine that there are several other clever ideas up Nintendo's sleeve!

Music

Believe it or not, we've got no music this time, so have the music from Captain Toad's levels in 3D World!

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker has already been released in Japan and comes out December 5th for North America, January 2nd for Europe, and one day afterwards for Australia. It'll be priced at $39.99 (Not full price!) - Nice stocking gift? Something nice for the holidays.

Do you plan on getting Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker? Still playing Smash Bros?

Thethirdkoopa is a Game Producer, Game Collector, Musician, Gamer, and Smash Fanatic at heart. He's super excited for Captain Toad: Treasure Trackers; talk with him about it on his Twitter! @Thirdkoopa

Last edited by a moderator:

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
I'm still debating on getting this now or for christmas? I mean I still am loving smash and Pokemon... so let me know guys what you are doing!?!?!?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
My little brother is asking for it for Christmas, so I'll probably try it out.

Also, Captain Toad for Smash DLC!
He is the Mario Newcomer Gotham deserves.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
My little brother is asking for it for Christmas, so I'll probably try it out.

Also, Captain Toad for Smash DLC!
He is the Mario Newcomer Gotham deserves.
and rosalina and bowser jr.

and why not throw dr. mario back in

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
With all the time I've spent playing Smash Bros. Wii U, I don't know if it'll be worth the $40 to get this one.

Last edited:

BubbaDuke

Smash Apprentice
My friends are pumped for this, but I'm really not seeing the appeal. I just see myself getting tired with it fast. I appreciate that Nintendo's only charging 40 for it.

It's definitely not a day one buy for me, but if it does well with reviews maybe I'll give it a shot.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Day one purchase for me. Surprising literally no-one who knows me at all.

I love puzzlers, I love Toad, I love fresh takes on the Mario series, I have kleptomaniac tendencies and a hatred of birds.

This game ticks all the boxes.

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
While I love the idea, I'm certainly not getting this game on launch.

...I'll get it for my birthday, just a few weeks later :p lol I actually can't wait!

Last edited:

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Probably getting it for Christmas, otherwise it'd be a day one buy for me. I loved the Captain Toad levels in SM3DW, and I've been excited for this ever since it was announced. I'll still be playing a lot of Smash though.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Looks better than 3D World.

:093:

Kroovetal

Smash Rookie
NNID
MegaJasherMan
3DS FC
0619-5511-6025
The Captain Toad levels were a very nice touch to SM3DW, every time I'd play one of the levels I would get a huge smile on my face. Can't wait to play this on release day!

Tweedle

Smash Apprentice
The Captain Toad levels were a very nice touch to SM3DW, every time I'd play one of the levels I would get a huge smile on my face. Can't wait to play this on release day!
Speaking of which, 3D world would have been a perfect game for DLC, Honestly for me the game isn't super replayable (Granted now I die a lot because I just try to run as fast as i can through the levels lol). It's a shame. I hope for a 3d world 2.

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
Even though this kinda game isn't my cup of tea, I'll probably try it out. Doesn't hurt to try new things.

Unless it costs $59.99. Then it does.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am just glad that Toad got his own villain in his own game... compare this to more popular Mario characters like Yoshi and Peach who got Bowser as the main villain in their own games.

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
Guys, i am debating on getting this game now or getting some more amiibos. Can you guys let me know what you guys think i should do? I want to get the amiibos because they are selling like hotcakes pretty much everywhere taht they are sold... Plus i mean i am hype for this game but not SUPER DUPER HYPE! like i was for smash... So guys please let me know what i should do i am SUPER confused...

Kroovetal

Smash Rookie
NNID
MegaJasherMan
3DS FC
0619-5511-6025
Guys, i am debating on getting this game now or getting some more amiibos. Can you guys let me know what you guys think i should do? I want to get the amiibos because they are selling like hotcakes pretty much everywhere taht they are sold... Plus i mean i am hype for this game but not SUPER DUPER HYPE! like i was for smash... So guys please let me know what i should do i am SUPER confused...
I'd buy the game first.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
It seems really interesting and neat, but these tiny worlds/universes are starting to get annoying to see. I know they open up some interesting opportunities and can be really fun, but I really just kinda want a traditional 3D platformer like Spyro or something.

I'll still probably buy it though. I'm curious as to what to see what Toad has to offer us on his own.

Top Bottom