• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion Week 1: Snake & King DeDeDe

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone !

There are a lot of thread about certain matchups with Wario (Guide, Worst matchups...), but I think that only ONE could be more useful and pro ^^

So, that's the official match-up thread. I propose you Weeks Discussion, do you agree ? That would be more accurate in my opinion. Maybe it's too soon, though... OR MAYBE NOT!!!

Anyway, I encourage the Wario "Pro" to participate. And even more, I discourage those who did not play against the character in question to participate a simple question of logic.

After each week, i will write a brief summary compiling all of the info. i have gotten.

Week 1: Snake
A classic character from the much enjoyed, very successful game series, Metal Gear Solid. In Brawl, he is one of the scariest characters to play against. With his extremely powerful moves, disjointed hitboxes, and amazing projectiles, what is a Wario to do?

A boss from the old game series staring Kirby. In brawl, DeDe is a heavy character, with a great recovery, extremely strong moves, and Gimp capability. How are we supposed to handle this??

bassem6

Smash Lord
Bike> snakes dash cancelled up smash.

Also bite his cypher when he's trying to recover and he will plummet to his death.

Young Cricket

Smash Rookie
Eat that Cypher for quick kills, also air dodge a lot for mindgames, FF Dair to drill through Snake's up smash projectile.

Nothing sweeter than killing Snake by Super Armoring through his rocket launcher with a fsmash or Fart.

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
Oh, awesome. Great idea Dizzy.

Snake.
Alot of Wario's might immediately think offhand just because it looks like Wario would have a breeze with Snake because all he has vs him, but really its not the case. Bite does counter Boost Smash and dash attack, Bite does eat his cypher, airdodge does penetrate his ftilt priority wall, but that doesn't mean that Snake isn't still a huge huge threat. He's just too good of a character to have any BLARING obvious counter picks.

Good Snakes will always recover high against Wario's, but sometimes they are forced to recover low of course. Bite gimp plays a very small roll in the fights, It's more of just something to keep Snake on his toes and limits his recovery choices when coming back to the stage.

Snake is a priority wall. Wario has no range or priority practically. In this matchup you have to be extremely patient on approaches. Running into ftilts and uptilts isnt fun. And neither is hitting a nade straight from his shield. On the other hand Snakes will retaliate your paitent approaches with their own paitence, so don't expect it to be so easy.

In the end who do I think has the advantage? I think Wario. SLIGHTLY, nothing huge at all. I'd say the matchup would be a 6-4 in Wario's favor. But hey, that's just one Wario's opinion, lets have some more Wario and Snake mains discuss this further to see what else we could break down about the matchup.

PS: Snake vs Wario is always an epic match.

Http

Smash Cadet
Couldn't change the name, huh? I was excited to read this week's BR Weekly Character discussion (which is obviously Wario), but came across this instead. It's more because I'm stupid, but still it is a tad misleading. I like the idea though.

And I'd have to agree that super armor fsmash vs. Rocket Launcher is sexy.

One thing that I'd have to actually contribute (although not really because it's already been posted) is the fact that Snake requires patience. Patience, patience, patience. The other day, I had a Snake match last 5 1/2 minutes. However, if everything goes smoothly, you'll find that in the big picture, a good Wario can really **** Snake hard. But I'm not, so don't take my word for it >_>.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
I would say Wario has the advantage too. Snakes weight is too good for someone like Wario to combo, a ff uair and early percents is trouble for Snake. Wario's shield is up there with Snake's, although since a good amount of his moves push you back you can always go for a SH Dair out of your shield after his ftilt. Most snake players know the Wario bite gimp by now, so they recover high. This doesn't stop you from at least pressuring them by pursuing them even if they are too high.

Snake's aerials aren't too hot for protection when coming down (Besides the occasional surprise FF bair) So he relies on airdodging to get back to the stage. If he really recovered that high, you could jump up next to him and bait an airdodge. If you predicted right, just wait for the airdodge and uair/waft!! Cmon, its easy. The only problem with the matchup is similar to the problem Wario has against Marth; If you get too aggressive Snake can seriously hurt you. Don't break out and play calm.

Its important to play safe and smart to notice any mistakes Snake will do. Messed up Auto-cancels, Bad recovery, Bad move choice, etc. Another thing to watch out is control of the match. Snake has an overwhelming amount of ways to control the stage, grenades being the one I really hate. Just remember to airdodge alot.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
i would say that against a smart snake, some of the best things to do are air dodges of course, and jump in with a bite for a surprise. snakes love their shield. Nothing better than taking them right out of it. of course dont be to agressive and jump in, just use mindgames, and wait for a mistake on snakes part. another great thing about the bite is, since snake is so heavy, it can be comboed into a Dair, Nair, sometimes Uair, or even a combination of the moves for a sexy combo. as all wario mains know, Wario is a combo beast, and should punish when the time is right

FREZ

Smash Apprentice
With Wario's great aerial movement, he can easily avoid such moves as snakes up smash and his side b

Christopher Rodriguez

Snake users are starting to use side b less since they just realized it sucks, lol. Its a little too slow to be effective I think, so it shouldn't be something to worry about.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
i recently played with DSF who mains snake, and your right, he never used his side B. Not once

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
i would say that against a smart snake, some of the best things to do are air dodges of course, and jump in with a bite for a surprise. snakes love their shield. Nothing better than taking them right out of it. of course dont be to agressive and jump in, just use mindgames, and wait for a mistake on snakes part. another great thing about the bite is, since snake is so heavy, it can be comboed into a Dair, Nair, sometimes Uair, or even a combination of the moves for a sexy combo. as all wario mains know, Wario is a combo beast, and should punish when the time is right
You need to bite alot just like this man said because I was using snake against KoreanDJ's wario and all he did was bite the **** out of me. If it's near the edge it tosses you pretty low for a gimp kill and he did that alot. I mean he 3 stocked cort's (from CT) snake with wario and he told me that's all he did. If your going to use any air attacks use the D-air because of the fact that if snake is on the ground he can't use any of his tilts and that move sends him in the air. I have been killed so many times because I decided to wario's F-air and he just up-tilted me right after. Master the auto guard or super sheild as they call it in smashboards and you should do alot better.

Reckon

Smash Apprentice
Now for Dedede, for me its either stay on his *** with grabs and Dairs to bite combos or wait for him to fail with a tilt or a missed aerial and punish. His size makes him an obviously easy target for multiple aerials setting him up for a devestating fart.

Christopher Rodriguez

DDD is definitely combo weight, but its not THAT easy to combo him, let alone into a waft. If you keep going at it trying to combo he can easily whip out that gigantic shield and powershield or not grab you. If you attemp to combo into waft it could work, but if it gets off the stage a jump > dair/fair can stop stuff. The closest thing to combo starters in the match are dair and chomp, but even then dair isn't sometimes safe if the DDD is a good powershielder.

Christopher Rodriguez

Yeah, Its a hit or miss but I play with a good DDD occasionally and its that shield that KILLS me. I chomp so much in this matchup compared to others. You have to try hard when your playing a DDD in terms of spacing (Yes, imagine hardcore spacing with Wario's tiny legs)

zoo the animal

Smash Cadet
With DDD's do not get grabed stay air mobile. Many DDD's in florida love to chaingrab and space and there favorite thing to do, spot dodge. One of the best spot dodges followed by what other then a grab. They try not to be predictable by changing up there movement and spamming, soo play more mind games then them. I like to just jump out there with no attack to DI back from where u jumped and make DDD 'sspot dodge a couple times then i air dodge go in and boom from the air didge bite and follow dash attack cancel. JAB. You must grab because DDD loves to spot dodge and u need to hit him before he grabs you. Its a hard match-up because there alot of good DDD's in florida soo i know its difficult but where there is a wario there is a way.

zoo the animal

Smash Cadet
i play a couple good snakes. FL has alot soo hears what i got.
play calm and smart. If u see snake pulling out a nade go for him cause he will mostly likey try to take out another and it takes time for him to pull out another one soo take the damage from when he throws nades atchu. Take adavage of the super armor, when snakes pull out two nades and sheilds f-smash at the right time and u will break his sheild. Because of the nades and f-smash, and u wont go anywhere because of the super-armor. Dont be scared of grounded nades. it takes about 4 seconds to blow up soo dont let that stop your game.

we need help on mk? well i do..

Top Bottom