• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Mario

viparagon

Smash Ace
Wow, they actually did a good job with mario, minus the whole its-a-me discussion. That combo vid is SO amazing. Its always been one of my favorites.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Hmm. I guess for many characters, gimping may be as simple as that, but many characters have more versatile recoveries and won't be gimped by simple tactics like that, such as a Lucario who can go to the ledge, the stage, or a wall, or a Pit who can just fly around you, while MK is certainly able to gimp anyone in the roster.

MK has better gimping and edgeguarding. I know that Mario's gimping ability is very good, but Meta Knight's gimping abilities are still better than Mario's.
I still disagree. I think that Mario's cape and FLUDD are far better than any Gimping tool that MK has. Definately though, a Mario would have a lot of trouble standing up to a MK in terms of edgeguarding.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
One of the things I will always miss as a Doc mainer in Brawl is the Fair/Fsmash KO attacks. Mario has some serious problems with finishers, and it's one of the main reasons I couldn't play Mario in Melee and I can't play him now.

They kind of meshed up his Fair into doing different things dependent upon the hitbox landing, but that just screws them both up worse, because you can't reliably spike or KO with Mario now, and the strength of the KO Fair is decreased anyway!

I'll miss Doc terribly. Mario's got some strengths and weaknesses but I sincerely wish he had a bit more of Doc brought to the Brawl, as he would be infinitely more balanced.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
I still disagree. I think that Mario's cape and FLUDD are far better than any Gimping tool that MK has.
i dont think so :/ i used MK alot in tourneys just cause he was sooooo broke (this was when i was taking a break from mario to show how gay MK is) and gimping with him is soooo easy. Not only with mario youre going to HAVE to practice it, its still less efficient than MK's gimp. Mk has more jumps, a better dair to gimp with, and a better recovery than mario to get back to the stage. Mario HAS a great gimp skill, but no where near MK's gay/broken gimping....

sadly....

=(

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Really? I've been able to DI it almost completely upwards at about a 70-80 degree angle. Strange. I guess it must've been because of Lucario's DI, not the move itself. Sorry, then.
I dunno, I'm pretty sure it does send people lower than some of his other attacks. Maybe also people don't DI it as well because it's just fast. =/

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
One of the things I will always miss as a Doc mainer in Brawl is the Fair/Fsmash KO attacks. Mario has some serious problems with finishers, and it's one of the main reasons I couldn't play Mario in Melee and I can't play him now.

They kind of meshed up his Fair into doing different things dependent upon the hitbox landing, but that just screws them both up worse, because you can't reliably spike or KO with Mario now, and the strength of the KO Fair is decreased anyway!

I'll miss Doc terribly. Mario's got some strengths and weaknesses but I sincerely wish he had a bit more of Doc brought to the Brawl, as he would be infinitely more balanced.
Mario has less trouble with his KO power in Brawl than he did in Melee, true Mario still doesn't have outstanding KO power aside from his Fsmash but he can still get low percentage kills through gimping. Anyway, Mario's Fair has still improved from Melee by the fact that it is no longer a suicide move off-stage. I wish Mario's Fair was more powerful like Doc's but I'm not completely disappointed with it. The main thing I miss from Doc is the pills and their awesome hitstun, but fireballs aren't all that bad. Mario has better KO power than he did in Melee, but it's still limited, luckily he has a fantastic edge game and gimping abilities to make up for it. I miss Doc too but at least Mario has some KO power in his Fsmash now.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Anyway, Mario's Fair has still improved from Melee by the fact that it is no longer a suicide move off-stage.
Well yeah but that's because of the way they changed how recovery works. Fair is weaker than before even though you can reliably hit with it for the spike, because the hitbox for spike used to be the entire thing, now it's just if you hit in the fist's area.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Mario is a very match-up specific character. Because his strongest point is his gimping ability via FLUDD to cape, he's really only useful on some of the more vulnerable characters. The space animals, Ness, Lucas, Bowser, DK, Ike, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, and others with not very good recovery can be absolutely destroyed by Mario if used correctly.

In fact, on some of these, a backthrow > FLUDD > correctly placed cape or two can 0 to death.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I actually hate Mario's Fair. I liked a lot better in melee -_-
Same here. The only thing that gave his Fair ANY use in melee was Lcanceling. That made it an excellent combo starter, just not as good offstage.

Seeing as it's not good offstage NOW though...

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Even though Mario’s Fair is a weak meteor, meteors are considerably better than they were in Melee since you can only cancel some of a meteor’s knockback. In the grand scheme of things though, Mario’s Fair is worse it’s just that Brawl’s physics allow it to work better for its spike. I still miss 64’s meteors though since there was no meteor canceling back then.

Matt07

Smash Master
Rofl what? DK's F-air is the weakest? That's something I never knew.

Link's d-tilt sweet spot spike is the best spike in the game I think, it sends you flying down at 0%. But it's so rare to hit with, so they don't really rely on it.

Matt07

Smash Master
Hmm...really? I think DK's D-air is a stronger spike, his f-air doesn't really give that much stun, compared to d-air when you get hit by it I think.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
The dair is easier to hit with, that's for sure. That should make it a better meteor smash.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Well, that list DOES only cover knockback.

Hitstun isn't factored in the list, which if it did, would make Ness' top of the list.

Top Bottom