• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Weapon Get" - Mega Man Movelisting and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I just got the demo. First impressions on Mega Man? Well.... instant main. I don't know, he just feels SO good to play as! MAN I love this character! So looking forward to the full version when I can be him in Smash Run, Classic, etc.!!
I planned to main him from the moment he was confirmed on June 11, 2013 and when I finally got my hands on him, I knew it was fate. He's so fun, he feels like you're playing a Mega Man game and that's the best part about it imo.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I planned to main him from the moment he was confirmed on June 11, 2013 and when I finally got my hands on him, I knew it was fate. He's so fun, he feels like you're playing a Mega Man game and that's the best part about it imo.
I knew from that day that I would main him too. He doesn't really fit my playstyle, but over a few days, I've done a great job of adapting.

I'm worried how he'll deal with characters like Fox though.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I knew from that day that I would main him too. He doesn't really fit my playstyle, but over a few days, I've done a great job of adapting.

I'm worried how he'll deal with characters like Fox though.
I'm hoping that shorthop into bair or fair will prove effective against him.

TheCrashMan

Smash Rookie
I'm betting that how fast the Skull Barrier can come out will probably make or break most of Mega's matchups against reflect users. Being able to counter-reflect would be one nasty surprise for capes, pockets, and shines everywhere.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Honestly I'm worried about Palutena, and to a lesser extent, Ness. Her Reflect is a powerful tool, and it's probably going to be tough for most characters to get around, especially MM because projectile moveset.

Ness could be dangerous due to PSI Magnet being reported faster and it could eat pellets, but we do have the Metal Blade to help out that match up.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Saw this on neoaf, Leaf Shield used to actually be useful looking. This if from the original developers direct from 2013:

Look at how fast the start up was!

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
Saw this on neoaf, Leaf Shield used to actually be useful looking. This if from the original developers direct from 2013:

Look at how fast the start up was!
Indeed. I believe that Hard Knuckle was also nerfed (it had more range before and looked bigger)

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Indeed. I believe that Hard Knuckle was also nerfed (it had more range before and looked bigger)
Metal Blade also looked like it had a lot more knock back in the direct video. I'm not sure Megaman actually needed those nerfs, lol.

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
Honestly I'm worried about Palutena, and to a lesser extent, Ness. Her Reflect is a powerful tool, and it's probably going to be tough for most characters to get around, especially MM because projectile moveset.

Ness could be dangerous due to PSI Magnet being reported faster and it could eat pellets, but we do have the Metal Blade to help out that match up.
The trusty slide/Bair/Fair could counter Reflects, seeing as it does open up Palutena momentarily.

Also, the Shoryuken from the demo is baller. Tough to land, but so satisfying when it lands a kill. Does a great job when charge shots and Bairs won't cut it.

Last edited:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Pivot fsmash is a really nice option

It's kind of a tossup. I haven't tested yet, but if Ness can cancel magnet like he could in Brawl (where, you suck up energy and can roll out or something new perhaps for this game) I can see it being an issue. I don't know if he can do that in this game though. I also don't know the cooldown on Magnet yet either.

I think what saves Mega ultimately is his fair and bair, and I do think he can do stuff with them to get people away from him and pressure.

As for Palutena, you got me. I don't know much about her yet. I'm just going off my previous experiences using Ness in Melee/Brawl and from what I see here in the new game.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman

There's a video of Mega Man vs Palutena here (there's a bit of swearing).

He didn't use his aerials that much (which probably would've helped), but he didn't seem to be getting stomped too hard.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
There's a video of Mega Man vs Palutena here (there's a bit of swearing).

He didn't use his aerials that much (which probably would've helped), but he didn't seem to be getting stomped too hard.
Yeah, he lacked aerials and jab pressure. He played very well with Crash Bomber tho.

That video teaches me two things about this matchup:
  1. Top Spin goes through Palutena's Reflect Barrier, so we can punish it and her reads.
  2. You should avoid the use of FSmash. Forbidden when you are at high percentages.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
A lot of spam and general 'attacking nothing' going on in that video.

I believe megaman players will be some of the most unpredictable players, because he requires a lot of training to begin feeling natural. And that training might make other characters feel less natural or comfortable. Its like people who main jigglypuff - megaman will likely have players of the same devotion, mostly because he's a character that requires monogamous devotion.

Last edited:

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
So, Mega Man's Top Spin seems great at approaching against certain projectiles. If you collide with Villager's rocket in motion, you stop in place (with no ending lag) and you blow up the rocket without taking damage.

This works with several other projectiles, but not with stuff like Link's arrows (fully-charged, anyway).

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Great thread, everyone! I hear some people aren't seeing Mega's potential, I feel bad for them! We're gonna sock 'em hard!

I did want to say though that I don't feel Link is a hard counter to Mega like I've read some people saying. Mega's lil lemons cancel out his arrows and Mega can even slide under projectiles a la his classic games if timed right! My friend mains Link and I feel he and I will have some amazing matches Mega Man vs Link because they work against each other so well!

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Great thread, everyone! I hear some people aren't seeing Mega's potential, I feel bad for them! We're gonna sock 'em hard!

I did want to say though that I don't feel Link is a hard counter to Mega like I've read some people saying. Mega's lil lemons cancel out his arrows and Mega can even slide under projectiles a la his classic games if timed right! My friend mains Link and I feel he and I will have some amazing matches Mega Man vs Link because they work against each other so well!
People are mainly saying it may be a difficult match up because Link blocks pellets and f-smash by simply standing still and possibly also when he is walking forward too.
I don't believe in any way that Link is a hard counter though. That one quality might be a bit annoying is all.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Jab also cancels out tether jabs very well. I am still trying to see if F-tilt is a reliable approach on stage. I am so far content on running away and predicting shield drops with U-Tilt. (Similar to how I play in Brawl Wario)

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
From what I can tell, Link won't be too much of a problem for Mega Man.

Link can block a lot of Mega Man's weapons, but pellets cancel out Link's arrows and boomerang, plus you can Rush Cancel out of Link's second f-smash hit as well as his u-smash (both of which are fairly strong kill moves, I dunno what other kill moves he has).

In addition to that, you can hit link with Hard Knuckle pretty easily, since his only recovery options are the mostly-vertical up-b and the tether which places him at a set distance from the edge (and vulnerable).

Of course, I've only tested this with the Link CPU in the demo :P

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing almost only Mega Man in the demo with some friends. I tested some stuff with one of them.

If the opponent spams jab after your 3 pellet jab/ftilt combo he'll punish you if you are too close, but thats not very often if you mix well your moves. Also, SH away when you finish your pellets (if you are not going for a running grab). That will give you an excellent position to catch your opponent's roll/pivot grab/approach/etc. After the SH backwards you can buffer another ftilt/FSmash/etc.

Top Spin (dash attack) have decent priority... Same as Mario's ftilt and fireballs and Link's arrows and boomerang. TS couldn't clank Link's tilts tho. Sometimes you can pass through Link's bombs without exploding them with TS.
TS deals days of hitstun, a lot more than dtilt.

Mega Upper have good priority, you can cancel proyectiles with it. Not sure but probably got some armor or invicibility frames because I could hit through a Villager's FSmash (I'll test more about that next time I see my friends).

You can pass under proyectiles with dtilt. Even under Pika's thundershock if you time it. Dtilt is amazing for edgeguarding (specially if you jab your opponent off stage).

Nair is really good to edguard off stage. If you hit Nair with the sweetspot (with the buster) the knockback is straight forward and your opponent wont be able to recover (unless the character have godlike recovery like villager). I think that Nair sweetspoted is way better than Fair off stage.

In one game, I stage spiked my friend that was recovering with Link from below the stage with my DSmash near the edge. We tried to do it again many times in our tests without success :sadeyes:

You can run off the edge and immediately press back to grab the edge. Could be useful if you want to trump the opponent or if you want to get a good position to bair him/her.

:4megaman: Well, thats all I found in today's tests :4megaman:

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
From what I can tell, Link won't be too much of a problem for Mega Man.

Link can block a lot of Mega Man's weapons, but pellets cancel out Link's arrows and boomerang, plus you can Rush Cancel out of Link's second f-smash hit as well as his u-smash (both of which are fairly strong kill moves, I dunno what other kill moves he has).

In addition to that, you can hit link with Hard Knuckle pretty easily, since his only recovery options are the mostly-vertical up-b and the tether which places him at a set distance from the edge (and vulnerable).

Of course, I've only tested this with the Link CPU in the demo :p
Very good points!
I meant to mention that as well. Rush Canceling can get you out of Link's f-smash and u-smash.

Last edited:

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Upsmash is actually really good for racking up damage because it can chain into itself if your opponent isn't careful. At lowish percents if you land an Upsmash and if the opponent doesn't not jump right away afterwards you can land another upsmash easily because it will beat out both attacks and airdodges near the ground. If they do jump, you can chase after them and punish their landing with a jump canceled upsmash.

Down smash on the other hand is a killer. Feels like a guaranteed kill when sweetspotted at his fists once they're over 100%.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
After playing the Demo, I've been playing Mega Man by spacing myself. Pressure with Metal Blade + Top Spin, and take the heavy fights to the air. Leaf Shield is pretty useful too.

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Alternating between metal blade & crash bomb in quick succession provides great ground pressure as they both cover the others cool down periods. Also if the crash bomb sticks follow up with a metal blade and some pellets or a buster blast to break your opponents shield. :)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It was recently pointed out to me that landing on Rush after using Up-B gives you both your double-jump and your Up-B back.

That's all well and good, but something else worth looking out for is that Mega Man's Up-B has Recovery Carry-Over lag, meaning that the next time you land, you will have the ~20 frames of landing lag from Up-B even if you grabbed the ledge, got hit prior, etc.

This was something seen on multiple characters in Brawl and was quite the annoyance; you could use an aerial when you land to suffer the aerial's landing lag instead while still getting rid of RCO lag. Something unique to Mega Man, though, is that landing with N-Air has no landing lag (like normal), but it doesn't get rid of RCO lag, either--It merely delays it until your next landing. A shorthop landing still has RCO lag, but it's much smaller, so that's an option after landing with a N-Air.

Some useful counterplay against Mega Man who is on the ground with delayed RCO lag (via N-Air) would be to use a Jab or something similar that barely gets Mega Man off the ground; after hitstun, Mega Man will land with RCO lag (albeit with reduced landing lag like his shorthop), so that can be taken advantage of.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Alright, so could somebody give me a full summary of everything I need to add to the OP besides the custom moves?

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
It was recently pointed out to me that landing on Rush after using Up-B gives you both your double-jump and your Up-B back.

That's all well and good, but something else worth looking out for is that Mega Man's Up-B has Recovery Carry-Over lag, meaning that the next time you land, you will have the ~20 frames of landing lag from Up-B even if you grabbed the ledge, got hit prior, etc.

This was something seen on multiple characters in Brawl and was quite the annoyance; you could use an aerial when you land to suffer the aerial's landing lag instead while still getting rid of RCO lag. Something unique to Mega Man, though, is that landing with N-Air has no landing lag (like normal), but it doesn't get rid of RCO lag, either--It merely delays it until your next landing. A shorthop landing still has RCO lag, but it's much smaller, so that's an option after landing with a N-Air.

Some useful counterplay against Mega Man who is on the ground with delayed RCO lag (via N-Air) would be to use a Jab or something similar that barely gets Mega Man off the ground; after hitstun, Mega Man will land with RCO lag (albeit with reduced landing lag like his shorthop), so that can be taken advantage of.
I tested Mega Man's RCO lag in the demo. Is as you say, if you land on stage after UpB you'll get the lag and you can delay it by using Nair. Also you can delay the RCO using Metal Blade or Crash Bomber when landing.

But it seems that the RCO completely disappears if you grab the edge even if you delay it with Nair/MB/CB.
Maybe someone with the complete game could test it too.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Alright, so could somebody give me a full summary of everything I need to add to the OP besides the custom moves?
Just to give a heads up, the staff is leaning towards/encouraging full revamps of key threads such as this.

This stuff doesn't have to be made/revamped just yet, but it is something that will be coming up quickly.

EDIT: Since this was liked, I'm not sure if my message got through, what I mean is that some Pre-Release threads will be locked for new ones.

@ APC99 APC99

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom