• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

weaknesses and bad traits of yoshi

Nocher

Smash Rookie
first of all, let me say that this thread is for those who play yoshi or want to play yoshi, not those who wish to simply say"yoshi sucks" and never post again.

secondly, the reason as to why i am creating this thread. see this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltqgP-Xgceg

i want this thread to exist so that we can all recognize and list any of yoshi's weaknesses, not strenghths, (as we already know those as can be seen by the continuous defending of his goodness.) so that we can change out stratagies and use our weaknesses, both obvious and not, to our advantage, or at least not to our disadvantage.

please post any weaknesses that have bothered you in a match or even cost you it. i will list all of them below this line and post when there is an update.
~Nocher
after we believe that all of his weaknesses have been listed, we should al work togeather in order to find ways to fix those weaknesses a
nd possibly make them strengths.
Yoshi Cons

1. after shielding, is left venerable to attack

2. slow shield grab

3. does not regain double jump when grabbed or attacked in general.

4. has trouble punishing bad spacing

5. cannot jump out of shield

6. not as reliable of a tank as before

7. no double jump counter attack in 100%range

8. Can't recover after Egg Rolling off the edge.

9. Egg Roll can't "cling" against fire attacks (except Zelda's sideB).

10. Dsmash has relatively low knock-back.

11. Invincibility frames after Egg Lay makes it potentially harder to combo the opponent afterwards.

12. Aerial priority is lacking. Anyone with a flexible air game can stuff Yoshi in the air.

13. Without the double jump, his recovery is mediocre

14. He doesn't have anything particularly broken that he can abuse like a lot of the higher tiered characters.

15. He can't outspam most projectile users.

16. Few reliable KO moves.

17. Slow roll

18. Has few options for approaching.

19. Easily suicides

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
When shielding, Yoshi is vulnerable to attack as soon as he does something besides shield, even if the shield is still up.

Frown

poekmon
- He can't jump to the upper edge of the screen.
- He can't use any good projectiles.
- He can't spike the brains out of people.
- He can't run faster than most characters.

Oh wait, he can.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Hahaha, Frown. +7 points, sir.

Uh...Yoshi can't really punish bad spacing very well, I don't think. He has a few options (grabs, sometimes forward smash, sometimes forward tilt), but I don't think there are enough or that they're accessible enough to spam effectively. He cannot reliably tank anymore, even though you can still get up to the mid-200%s with him in many cases. You also cannot counterattack out of double jump at percents around 100% or higher reliably, either.

Just what I can think of for now.

!Boom!

Smash Journeyman
Cannot jump out of shield.
Cannot double jump cancel (yes, I cant get over it)
Lack of Good projectiles that can hit an opponent successively
Slow shield grab.

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
Not being mean or anything but please do get over that fact please. Yoshi mains have dealt with it and, in their opinions, Yoshi plays better without DJC. I ain't being mean or anything but it isn't really that big of a deal.

His up-B recovery isn't good, vertically wise.

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
Can't recover after Egg Rolling off the edge.

Egg Roll can't "cling" against fire attacks (except Zelda's sideB).

Dsmash has relatively low knock-back.

Invincibility frames after Egg Lay makes it potentially harder to combo the opponent afterwards.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
These are just from my experience. They range from major concerns to minor quibbles, in no particular order.

Aerial priority is lacking. Anyone with a flexible air game can stuff Yoshi in the air.

Other than ECEs, he has few options from the edge.

Without the double jump, his recovery is mediocre

He doesn't have anything particularly broken that he can abuse like a lot of the higher tiered characters.

He can't outspam most projectile users.

Few reliable KO moves.

Slow roll

Few options out of shield.

Has few options for approaching.

Not exactly the hardest character to suicide with. >_>

Nocher

Smash Rookie
updated.

... now that we have probably covered the majority of his weaknesses let us come togeather to find ways to fix them

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't say yoshi has few options at approaching, he may not have as many options as other characters but he still has decent variety in his approaches

Edit: also he can't punish people out of his shield ><

Nocher

Smash Rookie
ugh, cant u guys read the list before u say things already said,

also, i just faced a blistering wound to my yoshi soul. i faced a really good yoshi aand was called the worst that she had ever played, then told to quit. so i would consider that my epic n00bness should be added to my cons

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Has anybody noticed that Yoshi's eggs have gotten smaller in every game?

I was playing Melee a week ago and noticed his eggs were huge.

Then I was playing 64 and WTF they're like miniature hydrogen bombs or some ****.

I kinda really want 64 eggs back, they were too good at the edge. x_x

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
:yoshi: Has anybody noticed that Yoshi's eggs have gotten smaller in every game?

I was playing Melee a week ago and noticed his eggs were huge.

Then I was playing 64 and WTF they're like miniature hydrogen bombs or some ****.

I kinda really want 64 eggs back, they were too good at the edge. x_x
And they made a REALLY loud noise when they landed. So satisfying...

Gindler

Smash Champion
And they made a REALLY loud noise when they landed. So satisfying...
Those were ear shattering! They put bobombs explosions to shame (audibly anyway)
But if we still had those yoshi would be god tier, and i didn't like the blue circle of egg appearance it did the same thing with the down B and I could never get over why a blue circle would come out of yoshi like that

Top Bottom