• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We need to address our business practices as a community.

Voodoo Daddy

Smash Journeyman
I will write a table of contents of issues we need to address.

First of all I want to apologize to DJrome and ADHD for attacking them personally. That was wrong. You're entitled to your sense of morality and I shouldn't question your intelligence based on that. I want to especially apologize to DJrome, as I feel as though I made assumptions that weren't true, please except my apology.

We've all been going about our business of handing over our money blindly handing over money. We've never had a reason to assume things wouldn't work out. To be honest, the pound 5 incident is not foreign to other fighting game communities, but it's new to us. We need to go forward with not contracts, but at least knowledge of the business transactions we're getting into.

I want to go on record saying I'm a financial analyst and I was a prelaw major at UMD, I am savvy and somewhat unorthodox on both accounts.

Table of Contents:
1. Suggestion to plank.
2. Transparency with the community and TOs.
3. Picking better business strategies for hosting tournaments in the future.

Item #1:

To Plank:

removed.
Item #2:

For those of us who seem to feel as though our common understanding of the terms of tournament entrance and our financial disclosure seems to actually protect us in any sort of way that can propounder evidence in our favor: you're wrong. I laid it out in detail before, and don't feel like doing it again, but you're good faith does not protect you.

We have nothing concrete nor do we have a solid definition of what we're paying for. If we feel as though our money is somehow being threatened (and it's not really, pound 5 is not the tragedy everyone's making it out to be, no one besides Armada and plank was that hurt in any significant way), we need to at least know what we're paying for.

The fact is, your financial interests are your own, and you cannot expect them to be well protected if you're buying into something. Knowledge is power and currently we have little of it. Given the controversies of OC3, Pound 5 and to a much lesser extent Rom3, if we want to be better protected from financial loses from over extending venue fees, then you have to do something about it. You have to be proactive, as opposed to just crucifying TOs after a great financial loss.

We do not need contracts and notarizations, we're children, we can't handle that kind of technical legal language. And we certainly don't want to pay attorneys to do it.

But we can use some transparencies. If the community feels so outraged by what has become of these fees, can we know the conditions for what we're paying for.

I personally don't think this is necessary, but considering that brawl playes have been "screwed" more than us, they may want this.

We should know what the arrangement is between the TOs and venue, so that we can see where our money is going. I don't care if there's low winnings at a great venue, but if the venue fee is that high, maybe players from europe may want to sit this one out. A big payout at a crappy venue may be a fairer arrangement for international travelers. Armadas actions would have been different had he known what he was getting into. All of ours might have. If someone really wanted to screw us, they could. We could sue them for fraud, but with how OC3 went, if the hoangs screwed us over, they did a good job. We probably couldn't touch them if we tried.

If there is a certain amount of the venue we need to cover to have the tournament, we should know. That's how we can protect ourselves.

There's no ignoring plank over extended himself and made a bad deal. I'll fault him with that. I would have never inked that contract, but it's in the past. It's time to move on.

That being said, I don't think this is necessary. But as it stands, we're not protected. But I don't think we're very mature either.

Issue 3:

And the down payment shouldn't be the whole cost of the venue. Just enough to ensure the hotel covers it's fixed costs.

Doing better business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCf46yHIzSo&feature=related

We need to be that guy.

We can get better deals on these venues. If we could get a good deal and advertise that as an incentive for top competition.

For instance, in the hotel scenario, we could have had a better deal.

We could guarantee the hotel the first x amount of money, plus we could include room registration in the entrance fees, now the hotel is guaranteed to move inventory.

financially this makes a lot of sense for the hotel, that space is perishable, and if they don't use it they lose it. To be honest they probably hard balled plank, and he needs to protect himself better. If someone pays 1 dollar for the room or 140, the hotel is still better than not selling the room. It's a principle called perishable inventory, and it is vital in negotiating with hotels and airlines. If the entrance for all events (Doubles and singles PLUS room) was $100 dollars and that came with room. And the hotel was guaranteed a certain amount and promised that every entrance had to use the hotel, they would have potentially made much more money and also be protected from loss. I don't know if you could get them to agree with that, but it would be a savvy business decision. It seemed like there was a lot of interest for use of that space, I think they had highschool dances to compete with and maybe conventions. But if we could get that kind of deal, it may be better for all parties, only slightly riskier for the hotel, and also protect the entrance.

For rom 3, instead of making money on every entrant, they may make money

Now, this would increase the entrance fee a lot, but it would come with room. I for one, loved the 24 hour venue was great, and pound 4 had been at pound 5's venue, we would have had the greatest tournament in gaming kind.

Let's try to be a little less desperate and a little harder in bargaining. Lets try to find multiple venues and pitch them against each other.

Pi

Smash Hero
waiiiiiiiiiiiit a minuttttteeeeee
you're saying that it's not smart to throw money around on the internet based solely on someones word?
so does that mean that i'm not going to get return on the 1k i sent to the iranian prince who fell on hard times emailed me about?
and maybe that email from my bank, or i think it was my bank, saying they needed my SS & bank information to confirm something on my account wasn't true either?

oh man what is this world coming to!!

I approve, be smarter.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I will finish reading this momentarily (after I get lunch) but so far this thread seems like it's sound in it's purpose. Staff will be keeping a close watch on this thread to ensure it does not deteriorate into another "This is why Plank is right/wrong" thread. I encourage you to remove your message to Plank from this thread, and either send it to him privately (or through visitor message), or to post it one of the threads pertaining to the topic. That way, you can focus on your main goal of improving the way business is conducted.

mallu000

Smash Cadet
I'm going to quote myself since I don't know which one of these threads (this and Lessons from Pound) is more suitable:
I'm glad to see first thread about Pound that makes sense and isn't full with BS.

Limited Liability Company would be great. I have actually always thought about something like that especially when I was studying business in vocational school and doing my study on different kind of company forms. At one time I actually thought making my final project about LLC for video game communities. You should really go for it!

I talked about this incident with a friend of mine who knows esports scene well and really is a smart guy overall. He said the way Pound and others tournaments were handled was just plain stupid. One guy in charge of basically everything and nothing on writing and no sponsors, he said it's amazing how anyone even went there expecting to get some money. He said things like SCREDDIT are the way to go. Starting from a scratch and slowly growing up and getting sponsors and the big names in the area interested. Imo Smash Community has grown the wrong way and the things my friend said are really a good point of view from a starcraft guy and maybe a wake up call to start handling the things like they should be handled. As for the Company itself, would it be possible to use maybe the Backroom as a basis and create a nation wide Company wich sets the rules and standards?

I really see this and the whole incident as a possible turn point for the community to start doing things the right way and maybe then gain the trust and respect of the other communities and the really big scenes. And I see that as an important thing not just that everyone could get respect as a smasher or some thing like that but for the community to get credibility and that the Starcraft [just an example] guys could say to sponsors "These guys are cool and their community is realiable" at the moment there's no one to say that and the community doesn't deserve that at the moment.

E: Sorry for any misspelling or confusion. I rarely write in english.
I might be confusing myself and others since I have to check these terms with Google Translator and try to change the terms from Finnish to English in my head but cooperative would be great also. I think all those funds resemble that kind of activity in a way.

Top Bottom