• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Need Some More Colored Folk in Brawl!!!!!

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I don't know if this has been suggested yet, but after playing through Custom Robo, I present Harry:

Granted he's got no chance in the Nine Hells, or any other human character from the game, but hey...

Now back to where it's all at:

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

TaikaAli

Smash Apprentice
Now this is a story, all about how my life got flipped - turned
upside down,

And i'd like to take a minute,

just
sit right there,

I'll tell you howI became the prince
of a town called Bel-Air

In West Philadelphia,

born an' raised,

on the playground is where i spent
mosta my days,

Chillin out, maxin', relaxin' all
cool,

An' all shootin some B-ball outside of the
school,

When a couple o' guys who were up to no
good,

Started makin' trouble in my neighbourhood,

I got in one little fight and my mom got scared,

She said
'You're movin with your auntie and uncle in
Bel-Air!'

Yo home to Bel-Air!

Will smith to brawl!

BlueFlames

Smash Apprentice
it's an interesting....thread....
anyways, the reason "why" that there isn;t so many indians, african americans, and asians playing in video games like in Brawl is because that they aren't NINTENDO. If your wanting Will Smith and 50 Cent, first off, they're human, not video game characters. second, they're too violent for that game. And for the guy from GTA (grand theft auto), he's a rockstar product, not nintendo. just trying to prove a point and not offend anyone here. Good day to you all!:)

urban_shinobi

Smash Journeyman
ya'll some real *******es. DK, sadly , is not black. all because he raps, he aint black. have you not seen his show, that is a black whiteguys voice (ie. Vanilla Ice like character, just not as sucky). if i had to pick one (which now i really dont because this thread has gotten ********) T.J. Star Spangled Tube Top (no homo) FTW

xianfeng

Smash Hero
So that little bow he does in his taunt is Japanese?
So, he doesn't have any japanese attributes maybe he's a japanophile.

I know plenty of girls who I thought were white but i found out later were actually Spanish.
But the Mushroom Kingdom as far as I know doesn't have any spanish influence.

dude, this thread is ********. jax is from mortal kombat, not NINTENDO! ssbb is only for nintendo characters!
Solid Snake, confirmed, owned by Konami.

Anyways, at least Black people have made a name for themselves in culture,
Like Oprah

you guys sure do get pleased easily...(no offense)
You take things too seriously.

Oprah should be in Brawl! Oprah is awsome and black! They can make an exception for the has to be a video game character rule for oprah, she's just that great.

Or

Jeffry McWild he's already awsome because he's an aussie and he's black too so it's on topic.

Still if there are black characters there should also be Latino, Asian and Gay ones. All though all four are pretty rare in video games which can be seen as prejudice.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Still if there are black characters there should also be Latino, Asian and Gay ones. All though all four are pretty rare in video games which can be seen as prejudice.
Did somebody say Gay characters!?

Birdo

Edgeworth and Phoenix

Kevin Smith

Poison

Venom

Raikov

Ocelot

Ditto (The only Bisexual pokemon)

Falco (C'mon! The ending may not be canon, but it basically ends with them running off together. I'll admit Fox isn't gay, but If Falco isn't gay for Fox than I don't know what's what)

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Falco - Kat disagrees with that one

Ditto - Unisex

Ocelot and Ravalov - They aren't gay (based off looks as I don't know who they are)

Venom - He's a tryhard not a homo (based off looks as I don't know who they are)

Poison - Doesn't look like a lesbian (based off looks as I don't know who they are)

Kevin Smith - Doesn't look gay (based off looks as I don't know who they are)

Edgeworth and Phoenix - Like Frasier, they are educated not gay.

Birdo - Is a girl and has Yoshi.

I don't think there are any gay characters, especially not Nintendo ones, I don't think they like controversy.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Ocelot and Ravalov - They aren't gay (based off looks as I don't know who they are)
Ocelot is not gay, but Raikov is certainly is... Play Metal Gear Solid 3, basically Snake knocked out Raikov and he disguises as him, but later was found by Colonel Volgin... Volgin found out that Snake isn't Raikov by touching Snakes "enjoyable area" and exclaimed "You're not Raikov..."

As for this thread, basically look at every Japanese video game and look to see if there is one Japanese guy in there??? The only reason we view most character Japanese is that they speak it... They were to lazy to get Marth and Roy their own English voice actors (also the fact that Fire Emblem isn't so popular in the US), so they just left it as is...

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Falco - Kat disagrees with that one
Of course she would. She's in love with the guy. Falco's too interested in his rivalry with Fox to pay attention.

Ditto - Unisex
I s'pose I can't argue with that.

To be fair, It's just fan Speculation that Ocelot is gay for Big Boss, but Raikov is ACTUALLY gay for Volgin. As in Canon-gay.

Venom - He's a tryhard not a homo (based off looks as I don't know who they are)
No, he's gay. He's gay for Zato-1. It's basically canon.

Poison - Doesn't look like a lesbian (based off looks as I don't know who they are)
He's not a lesbian.

Kevin Smith - Doesn't look gay (based off looks as I don't know who they are)
Once again, Canon-gay. He isn't paired off with anyone, but the Killer7 companion book, "Hand-in Killer7" basically confirms that Kevin is gay.
Edgeworth and Phoenix - Like Frasier, they are educated not gay.
Phoenix might not be gay (It's implied in PW2 that maybe he and Maya would get together), but Edgeworth fits the profile of the "Gay character" in Japanese anime and video games quite well. Plus, Phoenix fills him with "Unnecessary Feelings." *winkwink*

Birdo - Is a girl and has Yoshi.
From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdo#Gender_and_species

Nintendo of America classifies Birdo as female and some classify it as transsexual, the first edition game manual for Super Mario Bros. 2 describes Birdo as follows: "He thinks he is a girl and he spits eggs from his mouth. He'd rather be called 'Birdetta.'" Based on this description, it is arguable that Birdo is the first transgendered video game character.[1][2] Subsequent printings of the game manaul delete the Birdetta sentence but retains the first description.[

In Japan, Birdo is known as "Catherine" and purportedly enjoys being called "Cathy". However, the Birdo character has always been male in the original Japanese versions. Presumeably to avoid controversy, Nintendo of America has localized Birdo as female in future appearances of the character. It was speculated that Birdo was possibly transgendered, and Nintendo of America would eventually retcon this tidbit to avoid raising any concerns about the character's transsexuality.

So, in essence, He's transsexual and gay for Yoshi, but only in Japan.

I don't think there are any gay characters, especially not Nintendo ones, I don't think they like controversy.
Guess again, there are gay characters. quite a few, really if you really look at it.

Also, I forgot one:

Eagle, from Street Fighter:

Believe me, when I think a character is Gay, I've done my research.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Tell that to the Mario 2 Instruction manual.
Any form after Super Mario Bros 2 has stated that Birdo is female so that is canon, the mario bros 2 manual is not.

He's not a lesbian.
So poison is transgendered

No, he's gay. He's gay for Zato-1. It's basically canon.
Well, what game is he from.

To be fair, It's just fan Speculation that Ocelot is gay for Big Boss, but Raikov is ACTUALLY gay for Volgin. As in Canon-gay.
Why do you say gay for, it's not like I say Mario is straight for Peach... So Ocelot is either straight or Bi. Also how could you mention gay Metal Gear solid characters without mentioning Raiden.

Of course she would. She's in love with the guy. Falco's too interested in his rivalry with Fox to pay attention.
Nintendo doesn't like controversy, they wouldn't make a gay character.

Once again, Canon-gay. He isn't paired off with anyone, but the Killer7 companion book, "Hand-in Killer7" basically confirms that Kevin is gay.
Like I said I don't know anything about him, still doesn't look gay, allthough that's a stereotype.

Phoenix might not be gay (It's implied in PW2 that maybe he and Maya would get together), but Edgeworth fits the profile of the "Gay character" in Japanese anime and video games quite well. Plus, Phoenix fills him with "Unnecessary Feelings." *winkwink*
Stereotypes FTL.

Guess again, there are gay characters. quite a few, really if you really look at it.
Name one gay Nintendo character. I can't think of any.

Eagle, from Street Fighter:
Is that canon too?

Oprah Winfrey for Brawl! I need a sig for that...

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Any form after Super Mario Bros 2 has stated that Birdo is female so that is canon, the mario bros 2 manual is not.
Once again, check the Wiki on Birdo. He's a fella in Japan.

So poison is transgendered
Transgendered and Gay, though not the same thing, are usually lumped together as having much the same struggle for acceptance, thus why they are usually given equal weight in Gay-rights movements.

Well, what game is he from.
Guilty Gear

Why do you say gay for, it's not like I say Mario is straight for Peach... So Ocelot is either straight or Bi. Also how could you mention gay Metal Gear solid characters without mentioning Raiden.
I didn't think you were so sensitive of the gay rights issue. I say "Gay for" because it's more interesting to say than saying "in love with" and it's kinder than "Wants to sex up." Think of it as a minority using it's own racial slur as a term of endearment.
And Raiden isn't gay, he's straight for Rose. The idea of Raiden being gay is a product of the western view of homosexuality getting in the way of common sense.

Nintendo doesn't like controversy, they wouldn't make a gay character.
Once again, see Birdo in Japan. Japan is much more open about things like Sexuality, as you can see in most of these characters.

Like I said I don't know anything about him, still doesn't look gay, allthough that's a stereotype.
And you were knocking me for saying "Gay for"? But yeah. Gay as springtime.

Stereotypes FTL.
Once again, "Unnecessary Feelings." Take it or leave it.

Name one gay Nintendo character. I can't think of any.
I already did. Birdo. He/she was merely sanitized for Western consumption.

Is that canon too?
Yeah, it is. He's based on Freddie Mercury. That's a BIG clue as to a character's sexuality.

Also, diverting from the Gay topic a little, I have an awesome Black character:

Garcien Smith, the black guy in this picture. From the same game as Kevin Smith.

Also, including Garcie would open the door for including ALL of the Killer7, since they are all technically the same person.

That is two asians (KAEDE and Con Smith(I think Con is Asian))
One Black guy (Garcian, who is the leader of the group)
two Latinos (Coyote and MASK)
three White dude, one of which is an old man, and one of which is homosexual (Dan, Kevin, and Harman(not pictured))

Also, ignore the guy in the brown suit. He's not really in the Killer 7, he's just a friend of Garcien.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Once again, check the Wiki on Birdo. He's a fella in Japan.
Every single publication after SMB2 says that birdo is female so that is canon.

I didn't think you were so sensitive of the gay rights issue. I say "Gay for" because it's more interesting to say than saying "in love with" and it's kinder than "Wants to sex up." Think of it as a minority using it's own racial slur as a term of endearment.
Wants to sex up lol, I like that. You could say he's with such and such.

And Raiden isn't gay, he's straight for Rose. The idea of Raiden being gay is a product of the western view of homosexuality getting in the way of common sense.
I know, Raiden is just a *****...

Once again, see Birdo in Japan. Japan is much more open about things like Sexuality, as you can see in most of these characters.
Birdo is a girl and has a boyfriend.

I already did. Birdo. He/she was merely sanitized for Western consumption.
NoA says that Birdo is a she, so unless you are japanese that is canon.

Yeah, it is. He's based on Freddie Mercury. That's a BIG clue as to a character's sexuality.
Well he sounds awsome

I still say Oprah FTW!

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Every single publication after SMB2 says that birdo is female so that is canon.

Birdo is a girl and has a boyfriend.

NoA says that Birdo is a she, so unless you are japanese that is canon.
Well, then I suppose we'll never see Eye-to-eye. Since Birdo is a Japanese character I'd say that the Japanese canon takes precedence, but whatever. Dif'rent strokes and all that.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Stop being a negative-Nancy to the poor characters who have been called 'gay' for stereotypical reasons.

Ditto is bisexual.

Birdo is gay/transvestite in Japan, but not in America.

But Yoshi isn't.

TaikaAli

Smash Apprentice
it's an interesting....thread....
anyways, the reason "why" that there isn;t so many indians, african americans, and asians playing in video games like in Brawl is because that they aren't NINTENDO. If your wanting Will Smith and 50 Cent, first off, they're human, not video game characters. second, they're too violent for that game. And for the guy from GTA (grand theft auto), he's a rockstar product, not nintendo. just trying to prove a point and not offend anyone here. Good day to you all!:)

You took that Will smith seriously? whoa..

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Stop being a negative-Nancy to the poor characters who have been called 'gay' for stereotypical reasons.

Ditto is bisexual.

Birdo is gay/transvestite in Japan, but not in America.

But Yoshi isn't.
Actually, ditto isn't bisexual, you can get male/female ones in Gold ownards.

Birdo is gay in AMERICA, because NOA decided "Mario can't kill a girl."
In Japan, Birdo is a girl called Catherine.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually, ditto isn't bisexual, you can get male/female ones in Gold ownards.

Birdo is gay in AMERICA, because NOA decided "Mario can't kill a girl."
In Japan, Birdo is a girl called Catherine.
No, that's not how it went down.

First off, Ditto has no gender. It can mate with and produce eggs with any non-legendary pokemon of any gender of any egg-group.

Second of all, you got that backwards. In America, NoA retconned the whole "******" thing after Mario 2, but NoJ kept it. In Japan he's a BOY named Catherine. You'd be surprised how common that sort of character is, Girlish characters with girlish names who are actually boys. You're mixing up Birdo with Poison:

Capcom of Japan: It's a hot girl!
Capcom of America: You can't hit a girl!
CoJ: Okay, then she's a pre-op transsexual
CoA: THAT'S WORSE! Imma changin' the sprites!
CoJ: Lol America. We like our ****** story.
CoA: Well WE don't.
Fans: We're confused!

Peeze

Smash Master
in case if you don't know, spanish and italian are two different things. sorry to burst your bubble, just trying to prove a point.
Really? spanish and Italian are two different nationalities??????? idiot.

For the last time i said he LOOKS spanish.
There's a difference betwwen looking like something and being it.
For instance Christina Aguilera looks white, but she's spanish.

If you still cant understand this then your more ******** than i thought.

pdk

Smash Lord
come on guys, let's not **** up this legendary thread

Top Bottom