• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WBR Ruleset 1.0: Various Rules

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Ok stage list is done, which is most of the work but now onto all the other rules!
This is fairly standard. Does everyone agree with these rules? Should any be added?

4 stock
8 minute timer
No items

Set procedure:
People pick characters (blind pick if needed)
Stage striking for first match
[winner bans one stage
[loser CPs stage
[winner picks character
[loser picks character
repeat brackets for each subsequent match

you can not counterpick a stage you previously won on in the same set
when a game is decided by a suicide move (bowser gdorf) the initiator wins
when game is decided from kirby ddd wario bite swallow if it says the opponent (the one getting bitten) wins, then they win (meaning they broke out just before it ended). if it says tie or wario kirby ddd wins, then wario kirby ddd wins.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Sometimes I wonder if this game would be better with 3 stocks rather than 4. Yea. It's fast faced, but that was when hitstun was longer and combos were a lot easier and deadlier. Like 64. 5 stocks because combos are a lot more significant. But meh.

That's just me for sure.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Stuff to possibly add would be controller ports being decided by RPS and the tiebreakers being lives, then percentages (if it's the same percent, do a 1-stock match).

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Can't we just copy the SBR's rule set and just add an extra stock? The basic rules (besides 4 stock) hasn't changed in Brawl+. Add something about no textures except for PKMN Trainer, Lucario, and Sonic (who have it for teams) and we seem good to go. No textures means NO TEXTURES!

Dantarion

Smash Champion
What about rules reguarding custom music.
Some people would be thrown off if they heard "insert song here" when they match came up, its kinda like having awesome textures, some people say its distracting.

However, on the other hand, I hope that one day hearing different battle music in a game doesn't cause people to complain.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
For consistency's sake I believe custom music, like textures, should not be used in a tournament setting. Also, do we have confirmed green/blue/red textures for the PKMN, Sonic, and Lucario? We should recruit someone to make official ones for BtL2 and add the DL link with our ruleset.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Mesh music with textures, if it distracts the player at the start of a match, cancel the match and remove said distractions, but you can only do it at the start of a match, not during the middle nor the end. Or you can simply just go into options and turn the music off and leave the SFX on. Or just mute the TV. Which ever gets you off.

I've had issues with textures before due to my color blindness so I have had to had them removed so I could play properly.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
No one can possibly mount a complaint against the default textures (cept the ones I keep talking about) and the default music. So we can never run into a problem where someone feels distracted by Capt. Obama or 'I'm on a Boat!' on Pirate Ship we should just stick to the defaults. I know it's kind of boring because the customization in Brawl+ is fun, but as they say:

It's not about the fun at a tournament, it's about winning.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
The team textures have been in the pre-made SD package since 4.1.

I'll have to side with the custom music ban though. As cool as it is, hearing "I been raining on them hoes" as Squirtle's victory music from a random Wii in a tournament is inappropriate and who knows what people could put in?

Revven

FrankerZ
You can't simply take the SD Card out though because we use .PACs, which need to be loaded, not only that but the music also ****s up when you take the SD Card out if they had custom music in. So, IMO, the rule should clearly state (if we really are banning custom music) that you don't take the SD Card out if the music bothers you, but rather, just turn off Music in the game options.

It's also the same kind of problem with textures too, if the Wii owner didn't know how can you take them out other than completely wiping the SD Card of its textures with a laptop + SD reader? Seems troublesome...

OH and don't forget about people who use Hardrives/Flash Drives to load Brawl. They can't take the drive out, it damages it, so turning off the music via game options is again the better option (I've actually had someone take my flash drive out to try and turn off my textures, unknowing that I had textures on the SD Card, thankfully my drive is fine but, it held up the match).

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
does the premade SD pack have CSPs and CBPs?

go search for my texture pack in the workshop (has its own thread) and download the standard release. its just team textures and has CSPs and CBPs. the presentation is pristine. Infact, they might as well be included on the server with the brawl+ updater.

edit: il write up a final thing soon for everyone to review

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
It doesn't have team texture portraits, but the CSP has Handicap replaced with Buffer.

People use their own textures and CSP's so I don't want to interfere with their textures when using the updater. I already had a bit of a backlash upon entering the IRC about the Gecko background a few weeks ago so I had to remove it lol

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I don't see the custom music as being that big of a deal. If someone doesn't like it, they can just change it so only sound effects play. At the tourneys I've been to, half the time you couldn't even hear your own TV, anyway.

BioSon: You should just include an option to choose whether you want to download that part or not.

Set procedure:
People pick characters (blind pick if needed)
Stage striking for first match
[winner bans one stage
[loser CPs stage
[winner picks character
[loser picks character
repeat brackets for each subsequent match
Er... I thought we were letting people ban two stages each? And the other problem is with the way you have it worded right now; if you use this process in the finals, you'll end up with stages being progressively banned, rather than all being banned at the start. You need to define it as players choosing their ban(s) before their opponent's first counterpick instead.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Yea. We need to allow players 2 bans, because I know more stages will be going in. Like Skyworld, and I'm pretty sure Onett as I've gotten nothing but good feedback on Onett, and possibly MK1-2 once it's fixed and placed in for testing.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Tourney players, Like Sudai for example. And either Glick or Guru. One of the NYs with a G to start their name.

I think leaf has tried it and a few more.

But I ran this Onett at Hobo 19 and got nothing but good feedback. Sudai ****ing loved it.

Yeroc likes it too. :V

Top Bottom