• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WBR Official Textures and Custom CSS Portraits

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Ok, this thread will help serve two purposes. The first is a discussion area on the use of any "WBR Official" textures. It has been proposed by TheCape and some others that certain blue characters ought to have proper recolors for their nonblue costumes for use in teams matches. I'm in support of this much at least, but while we're at it, are there any of you who would like to see any other textures we could implement as part of our Brawl+ package?

The second part of the thread will concern the portraits used on the Character Select Screen. There was some scattered discussion last night about changing character portraits like Zelda, Sheik, and the Pokemon to their individual counterparts, to make the distinction simpler and also give the CSS some added flair and a more finished appearance. I like the idea, but there are but there are a couple issues I think we should discuss, namely how we should go about doing this.

First, Zelda/Sheik should be pretty simple to separate using the existing images, except for Zelda's missing arm. Adding the arm back in and doing appropriate recolors is about all that that would take. PT is going to be a bit more difficult in that regard. We have the image that was on the dojo, which is where the current portrait was taken from, but all the character images will have to be recolored to match the ones we take out.

I have thought of an alternative solution, which partly stems from the potential use of team color textures. That solution is, we make our own portraits for all the colors of the entire cast and insert them ourselves. The advantage I see with this method is that it will homogenize the look of all the portraits, so the PT ones we would have done wouldn't look out of place compared to all the rest, and it would let us incorporate any of the textures we decide to implement as part of our official package. The advantage of the other one is, obviously, there's less fairly tedious snapshot work to be done.

I'm not sold on either method yet at this point, and I wanted to see what you all thought of the proposition. So, discuss!

Almas

Smash Lord
I think that this could be good. As posted in the Smash Workshop, I'm trying to coerce a texture hacker or two to do work for us to be rewarded with credits. Similarly useful would be changing the "Handicap" menu into "Buffering". I'm sure it's probably possible for values above 100 to be removed.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I've made my own custom CSPs before. I've had some turn out perfect, but others I have problems with file sizes and stuff and have to end up reducing the color depth which makes it look bad. But for getting a character pose and making the CSP I'm really good at. Once we have all of the character textures, you can rely on me to make some sweet CSPs. Then we can pass them onto someone else to pack them into the game file correctly (with proper color depth, etc) if it doesn't work when I try it.

But yea, I'll make the originals in like BMP or something

Top Bottom