• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ways to style as Marth?

DV8R001

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1435-4406-8453
Title of the thread pretty much says it all. Are there any good ways or opportunities to style as Marth?

RoyIsOurBoy_TTG

Smash Journeyman
Reverse fair -> reverse dair. (reverse ken combo)
ledge-hop dair
tech jump -> dair

There are plenty of ways to style. Most of them involving his down-air.

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
dancing blade 3rd hit down
this is pretty much impossible to hit on anyone = maximum stylepoints

AirFair

Marth tho
If you want to style, you have to learn how different moves work on different characters. Reverse ken combo is definitely a good start.

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
I've only seen it a few times but I think it looks sick; but it's when someone is sent into the air and close to the edge (perhaps from a mid percent dash attack at mid-stage), I've seen Marths run at them and reverse b-air into d-air spike. If you're high enough above the stage you don't even need to double jump before the d-air. D-air spiking into the stage mid combo gives extra disrespect points too, even if it's not optimal most of the time.

I still say the most efficient way to style is simply to outplay them match after match after match. To appear as untouchable and yet never dropping a punish either. An eerie efficiency the other person cannot match. Many people can come off as flashy here or there. However, in order to dominate in that manner against someone else for so long is not easily replicated.

Facing against a few people like that all I can say is dang, that is impressive and respecting.

SavantGardener

Smash Rookie
I've gotten pretty good at landing the 3rd dancing blade strike meteor on people at friendlies. If they're playing spacies you can catch them at the end of their firebird/firefox if you know they're going to fall just short of the ledge. If (after smashing them off) you can recognize the only way they're going to be able to recover is by an angled firebird/firefox you can go off stage and meteor them while they're in that initial startup phase. It isn't too difficult (especially if you have a stock lead and are okay with sacrificing a stock if you miss).

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Backwards Bair. I swear people should use it more. And backwards fair.

My playstyle comes off as "flashy" alot of the time because I moonwalk & dashdance a crapton.

thf24

Smash Cadet
Like tech chase with up-b?

I think you mean fair > up-b
I should have said fair -> weak dair -> up-b. With just the right spacing and DI from the victim, the pop up from the sour spot of the dair will put them in the up-b kill spot.

Also, I've seen it done on PAL a few times when the opponent meteor cancels the dair and then gets up-b'd, if you want to call that a combo. I guess that would actually be a tech chase. That's where I first heard it called the "international" Ken combo though.

Obviously, neither one of those are even remotely consistently possible.

Paper Tiger

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
TIGR#367
Backwards Bair. I swear people should use it more. And backwards fair.

My playstyle comes off as "flashy" alot of the time because I moonwalk & dashdance a crapton.
Reverse tipper bair and even reverse sourspot bair are extremely flashy, especially when you link them together.

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
When edgeguarding, wave dash off stage while doing an immediate tipper spaced bair.

Also hold edge, and let go and land shieldbreaker with the behind hit box. I've done it once.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
In order to have a style for Marth you need experience on different moves in different scenarios. For example: a Fox recovers just below the ledge, do you gimp with a jab, will you charge up shield breaker, will you try to tipper fair into dair, will you f smash, will you try to cover the options and wait and then throw out a move on reaction? But, I also think that it's just from experience, but from studying top Marth mains videos, a new Marth main's videos, or by studying your own videos and where you messed up and what you should do. If you're asking for what you should implement into your style, or what the most known styles are. Then, I'll just tell you that. Moves that you want to implement into your style are, down tilt, up tilt, up air, fair, and grab (if you haven't already). The most common styles I come across are, when people counter too much, the Mew2king sort of style, defensive style by shffling with aerials or mostly in shield, the type that takes advantage of Marth's rangy moves, and the too much f smash style. Not all of these are good of course. But, since you asked I thought I'd just share them all. The problem with your thread is that it's not specific enough. The title doesn't say it all. Well, there you go, good bye, have a great afternoon and a great new year.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Want to style as Marth? Just be a solid player. Marth has the tools to do awesome stuff all the time against every character, but there is no easy way to go about it.

Some good examples to follow:
PPMD - Still the king of Marth neutral game, imo. Study his vids to see how to handle the neutral game.
M2K - The king of quick KOs and conversions. Quite styling, as early KOs are generally the flashiest.
Arc - The king of all things pivot. His movement is styling, his tippers are styling.
SmashGOD - Has really solid and consistent conversions that I don't see other Marth mains doing.

Be the first to put all those together and you would be a melee god for sure. Granted, that's quite a task xD.

Top Bottom