• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ways of working around Ryu's direction-based moves

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
So, people need to stop complaining. If the moves aren't coming out right it's because we aren't inputting them right. And yes, all of his enhanced moveset consists of him having to face in a specific direction. Given that, what are some tricks you use, for example, to face the stage before you EX-Shoryuken? Obviously theres B-reverse hadouken then EX-Shoryuken, but has anyone found other tricks? Can you b-reverse cancel his hadoukens? I haven't been able to.

How do you work around not being able to pivot mid-air? have you found ways to fireball/Ex-hadouken or EX-tatsumaki when your opponent is facing behind you (turning around then inputting isn't safe, it will most likely read fireball/EX-hadouken as EX-tatsumaki and EX-tatsumaki as a fireball).

Also i highly suggest using the A button for all moves when trying to do SF inputs(<--Edited for clarity). It means if you mess up theres less of a chance that you will use a special, which is slow and could end up costing you a stock. If anyone has a reason to use the B button instead of A, let me know.

Last edited:

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
Four reasons to use the B button.

1. Being able to...B reverse specials in general as it's impossible with inputs seemingly.

2. Being able to use Focus Attack.

3. DP OOS.

4. Having no time to use an input and you want to toss out a quick fireball for example.

Otherwise, A all day.

Last edited:

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice

1. Being able to...B reverse specials in general as it's impossible with inputs seemingly.

3. DP OOS.

4. Having no time to use an input and you want to toss out a quick fireball for example.

Otherwise, A all day.

I meant using the B button for the SF inputs, because those inputs work with both A and B buttons :p But everything you said is correct , although I'm hoping to get good enough that #4 isn't a problem ever :p

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You can B-reverse/B-Turnaround all true Special variants of his Special moves.

So for True Dragon Punch you input the command then quickly hit the control stick backwards and he should turnaround with it, timing is tricking.

True Fireball and EX Fireball work the same way as True DP, for B-reversing.

True Hurricane Kick is bit trickier due to it being CQB rather then forward but it after doing the command hit the control stick forward quickly then back quickly (similar in how you would do a Wavebounce)

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman

3. DP OOS.

Otherwise, A all day.
You can dp oos with the command inputs. Its also just as easy to wavebounce them.

Zero Meddler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroMeddler
3DS FC
1633-4671-0386
An explantion of how to do the input DP oos would be much appreciated. I really have no idea how that would work without being wayyyy too slow..
Forward, center, down, down-forward. That's how I practice it and when I do it slow, it comes out consistently. When going down, do a sweep to down-left (or right, depends on the direction you're facing). It's helped me in UMVC3 as well as Ryu's DP, hopefully it does the same.

Forward, center, down, down-forward. That's how I practice it and when I do it slow, it comes out consistently. When going down, do a sweep to down-left (or right, depends on the direction you're facing). It's helped me in UMVC3 as well as Ryu's DP, hopefully it does the same.
You're talking about DP in general, right? I don't se how that would work out of shield (oos) without rolling or spotdodging, which is what I was asking about

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
I actually managed to pull off input DP OOS now. However, the timing is EXTREMELY strict. Then again, I didn't do this with anyone wailing on my shield.

edit: Also, does anyone else find it weird that Ryu doesn't "officially"(flashing) enter his helpless state until after a long bit of seconds falling after using DP?

Last edited:

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
Also, does anyone else find it weird that Ryu doesn't "officially"(flashing) enter his helpless state until after a long bit of seconds falling after using DP?

I noticed this too.... I assumed maybe the ending animation of DP is just very long and don't enter a helpless state for a while because you're stuck in animation lag.... And maybe that animation is cancelled upon landing? Seems like a decent explanation but I'm not exactly an expert on Smash technicalities

Top Bottom