• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Way for shameless poor people to contribute.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Just an idea:
Go door to door asking for breast cancer research donations. You could bring a laptop or smartphone (wouldn't have to connect to their wifi with smartphone) and run them through it. If they ask you why you can be honest and tell them you're a competitive fighting game player, and if your game brings in the most donations then it will be featured at the largest tournament of the year. If you have a personal experience with breast cancer obviously talk about that. Its free to do, and the worst that can happen is they say no, you look a little weird, and they feel bad about themselves. Best case, you can raise $100+ on your own. Heck you may just land a jackpot. Tomorrow is Saturday. I think I may spend like 2 hours in a nice neighborhood and give it a shot.

It's a little crazy. How crazy are you for melee?

Edit: Oh, and this was Leffen's idea originally, but it was buried in another thread, and I thought it deserved more attention.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Whatever man, most college students have a laptop, even if they're in debt or don't have much income because they need it for school. Smartphones are also ridiculously common nowadays. You can have a smartphone and not have $100 dollars to lay down on command.

(Honestly a lot of people are poor BECAUSE they have these things and can't really afford them, but that's not really the issue here)

You also don't have to have either of these things. It just may make it easier.

kibago

Smash Rookie
I like the idea. I personally have an aunt with breast cancer, and so when I told her about this she was happy to donate to the cause. Great lady

Landry

Smash Ace
I dunno. A random person going door to door taking money for "breast cancer research" on a smartphone seems kinda sketchy to me. Even if it is legitimately for the right cause I'm not sure how much success you could get with this.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Laws are different depending on the area obviously. Usually at worst if they call the cops on you then you could get a warning.

Really, just leave if they say no. Seriously just be nice and respectful. Don't go up if there's a "no soliciting" sign. You're unlikely to get in trouble...

Check your local laws though and don't do it if you're uncomfortable.

Edit: the overall negativity on this has discouraged me. I knew it was questionable. I wanted to see what people thought. Thanks for your comments.

Top Bottom