• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

waveshining question

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so in some videos i see a pillar follow up into a waveshine..can they get out of this though? normal pillaring only allows the opponent to roll could they attack or do anything else during it?

i'm just wondering what's more effective..dair or follow up waveshine

also...for cancelling the phantasm...i'm ashamed to say i wasn't able to do it very well based off just reflex.

I guess i'll learn the timing eventually. I just wanted to make sure i assume people actually time the cancel? or is it like luigi's tornado recovery..are you just pressing b so fast it has to cancel...

unfortunately i can't get that many b presses...i guess i need to learn to only partially depress the B button

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Personally, I never learned to pillar. I've always reflexively waveshined repeatedly on opponent's shields instead, and it works very well. It prevents shieldgrabs as well as attacks out of shield if done properly. Also, if you're Shiz, you can doubleshine shields, which is even better (not to mention extremely sexy) :p

As for canceling the overB, don't worry too much about it. The times when you'd use it are pretty few and far between. When I need to do it, I use overB, wait a split second, then tap B again. It's a lot like waveshining and doubleshining in that theres a very exact rythim to it, and once you learn that rythim, you can do it easily and at will. Spend some time in training mode, and you'll get it.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
does this mean fox can destroy shields with waveshines as well? or can they escape pretty easy?

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
pillaring in general is alot harder (especially with dair) with fox. Even if you get past their shields, there's not much combo potential unless you just happen to waveshine right when get through to them. And that's if they don't fall from the shine. This is one reason why you don't see most fox's pillar.

InfiniteGXT

Smash Journeyman
Actually with perfect down-to-the-frame control you can break your opponents shield with either waveshining or shine pillaring. Buts its pretty much impossible which is why Shiz double shines instead. I think its better to shffl past your opponent instead of directly on their shieled so they cant shield grab you

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
how can i test whether i'm getting a full length on my perfect wavedashes? i'm particulary worried with fox..but any char will do..the thing is..i know i've upped my length on my wavedashes an extraordinary amount...but i don't know how horizontal is maximum distance..i have it pretty horizontal..but i don't know what the optimum position on the controller is for maximum range.

i wish there was something with a picture like in the video mission briefing (a training guide for samus) with a picture of a control stick and where to press for a perfect.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
The perfect wavedash on the analog is when you place it in between the horizontal and the diagonal. It's in between the two notches. Infinitegxt, you shouldn't be getting shield grabbed out of your dair unless you released it too early or didn't L cancel correctly. I like to dair to waveshine behind them and then continue pillaring behind them, or sometimes i stay in front but it feels safer in the back yes...

InfiniteGXT

Smash Journeyman
Infinitegxt, you shouldn't be getting shield grabbed out of your dair unless you released it too early or didn't L cancel correctly. I like to dair to waveshine behind them and then continue pillaring behind them, or sometimes i stay in front but it feels safer in the back yes...
Uh, actually its pretty easy to get shield grabbed out of a shffled dair if your opponent has the right timing. I can think of plenty of times that Ive been shield grabbed out of a dair that I still l-canceled. Whatever. I dont know what Im saying anymore. This is confusing me. :dizzy:

Scud

Smash Apprentice
InfiniteGXT I know where you are coming from. I used to get grabbed out of my dair shine combos a lot, and I would get upset because I didn't see pros getting grabbed out of theirs much.But that doesn't happen much anymore and when it does i know it is going to happen because i screwed up. You have to make sure you start your dair later so that the sheild stun is closer to when you are going to shine. I really don't know why when people are trying to teach pillaring that they don't address this. If you start dairing as soon as you SH you will probably be grabbed out of it.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
sigh..but i don't know where between the two notches it is..i'm wondering if there are degrees of what is considered perfect..most people say i perfect wavedash fine..but like how perfect is perfect...if i can get more distance i want it

Scud

Smash Apprentice
I am pretty sure it is just in between the two notches. Doesn't the game only read 16 different directions? There shouldn't be a certain degree angle in between those two notches. If you aren't leaving the ground at all and you are holding it at that angle then it should be a perfect wavedash.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
well based on the samus mission briefing video it is at least 18...but i always thought that there were near infinite:\ guess i was wrong..well in that case..i don't need to try as hard to get as horizontal....meaning that i'll probably never miss another perfect wavedash:)

still..i was so hoping for more range

Top Bottom