• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavemagnet timing problems solved!?

Did this work better for you?

• Total voters

Pwii

Smash Apprentice
Ok, let me preface this by saying I do not know much about the intricacies of smash, and that it's 3 in the morning over here. That said, I think I know how to get the timing on Wavemagnets down. Also thank you PMBR for nerfing Lucas just the amount he needed to. (Except for Down throw >:/)

I was messing around in the lab, trying to get down the new timing. I had to wait like 3 frames after letting go of B to start my wavedash. I was kind of getting it down, when I realized that I could just hold B for 3 frames, then proceed to wavedash the instant after.

To put it simply, instead of DownB > Let go > wait 3 frames > wavedash, you can just DownB > Wait 5 frames > Let go > Wavedash and the timing will be much similar. Instead of messing around with the timing in the middle of the combo, you can just pretend you're doing one of those mixups where you leave the magnet on for longer. You can also hear the two distinct zaps, which helps you gauge the 3 frames.

I checked this in Debug mode too, and there's no difference in damage, or speed. The only danger is you may accidentally magnet for longer than 3 frames, letting your opponent hypothetically react and SDI more.

What do you guys think? It feels more natural to keep the B > Y timing consistent rather than the amount of time holding B, but that could just be me.

Last edited:

chrome12345

Smash Cadet
I noticed the same thing too. I think its a great idea only if people don't SDI (ASDI??) out of it since it is a multi hit. It definitely makes the combos feel like 3.02

Pwii

Smash Apprentice
I noticed the same thing too. I think its a great idea only if people don't SDI (ASDI??) out of it since it is a multi hit. It definitely makes the combos feel like 3.02
Yeah, but even if you only hold magnet for a frame it hits at least twice. :/

Ace Turner

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3540-1026-7348
so what you're saying is that by waiting a few more frames before letting go of down-b, it acts the same as the magnet in 3.02 for wave mags? yes? or am i not reading this correctly?

TheAlchemist

Smash Rookie
Awesome.. although i feel like i fail at it because im not doing a "perfect wavedash" and the opponent flys too far backwards... or am i reacting too slow?

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
The new mag kinda sucks in that the opp. can CC easier (they will immediately fall down and have a tech window similar to Fox's shine). Not only that, but CC'ing magnet will send them almost as far as DI'ing behind Lucas. I can sort of get Magnet -> Dacus when they DI behind me and magnet -> Usmash essentially works the same as 3.02

For me personally, I rapidly double tap the B button (about the same timing as Fox's double laser) and seem to get results close to 3.02 timing. I've yet to experience a problem after double tapping the B button other than the fact that Mag into immediate Bair and shield pressure with magnet are insanely hard and have low practicality :/

Top Bottom