• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavelanding still *definitely* in. (video)

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting pretty fed up with all these people saying "You're going to ruin the game with advanced techniques." As if we do it with the intention of ruining the game for the people who choose not to or can't do these techniques. We do them because the 'higher' (notice small quotes) level of play makes the game more fun, especially when our opponents also know how to and are able to use them. If you don't use them, it's probably your loss.

Now for the video. Not really a waveland. Finch, It's been awhile since I've posted, I forgot how to quote your post. But you said "If any of the people saying it's a roll had actually ever done a waveland in their lives, they would know immediately that this is a waveland, not a roll." Well said, but I've wavelanded before (Ganondorf has the sexiest waveland, screw Luigi and Mewtwo) and I saw a roll, not a waveland. If it's before the roll then that was a very tiny waveland. I'm still skeptical.

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
If any of the people saying it's a roll had actually ever done a waveland in their lives, they would know immediately that this is a waveland, not a roll. Nice find.
you are the worst noob ever. are you ****ing dumb or what. and for everyone who believe its a wave dash. HOW DO YOU WAVE DASH THROUGH AN ATTACK RIGHT IN THE CHARACTER FACE?!!!!!!

Let me tell you. ROLL THROUGH AN ATTACK TO GET INVINCIBLE FRAME.

Tank McCannon

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to post this one more time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD6lRxQJbko

At 1:54, that is a waveland, not a roll. If anyone wants to argue that, please try.

Also, for everyone that thinks we're "ruining" the game, go back to GameFAQs and stop "ruining" this forum. We have no problem with people that play with items and don't use advanced techniques, so no one wants to here you cry about it.

tutata

Smash Ace
There should be no talk here about WD ruining the game, this is smashboards.com there is talk about glitches everywere. It like being in the KKK ans saying you love black people, not gonna happen. So please go back to your other forums and eat your fish sticks, talk about adv techinques ruining the game is not tolerated, all your base are belong to us.

Zek

Smash Ace

At 1:54, that is a waveland, not a roll. If anyone wants to argue that, please try.

Also, for everyone that thinks we're "ruining" the game, go back to GameFAQs and stop "ruining" this forum. We have no problem with people that play with items and don't use advanced techniques, so no one wants to here you cry about it.
It's not a roll but more likely it's just Link sliding down that slope. We know how wavelanding was executed in the E4All demo and that wasn't it. Maybe it's in some other form now but there's no way for us to verify that until someone tests it.

Japanese Monk

Smash Journeyman

Whoa! Yes, link does WL. But the argument I think was whether mario did a roll/waveland in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-K5VFNtbNQ

around 12-14 seconds mario airdodges twice and then rolls on his second air dodge. I saved the file and slowed it down. Its fast, but he rolls. You can even see him break out his shield....

Anyway something else interesting about the vid YOU linked to. Right before link Wavelands watch what he does around 1:52.

He tries a running attack, but kirby hits him instead.....after which, he slides back on his hands and knees. That is really interesting as Im sure no one has pointed this type of thing out....:bee:

Samus-T

Smash Lord
lol im pretty sure thats just a roll dodge.i watched it like 4 times and i zoomed in like twice ha.nice try though XD

S2

Smash Lord
You people are going to ruin the game before it even comes out with your 'advanced techniques'.

I just thought I'd let you know that.

Don't talk *$&# like this on Smashboards. This is a forum for competitive play. You should be happy that the players here don't flame newbs, but at least try and help them to get better as well.

What we don't like are kids coming on here and treating the boards like its gfaqs or something. Purposely insulting and trolling people in a given place.

So don't come insult people here by telling them they are ruining the game by playing competitively. You know what the purpose of this site is, if your going to use it, don't say #@*$ like this just because you know it'll piss people off.

JayceMJ

Smash Apprentice
That was obviously a roll. His shield went up RIGHT when he hit the ground and he went through Mario's Roll animation and his shield came back up after the animation of the roll. Nice try though.

Samus-T

Smash Lord
agreed smashboards is for competitive players, by competitive players.you dont like advanced techniques, leave it to yourself, dont come here basically saying being good at the game is bad.seriously wtf.....

Sirami

Smash Cadet
Heeey! Awesome. So if Luigi still has almost no traction, this means that he should be able to SHFFWL to slide across the stage, eh?

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
agreed smashboards is for competitive players, by competitive players.you dont like advanced techniques, leave it to yourself, dont come here basically saying being good at the game is bad.seriously wtf.....
Im sure (where ive bolded) statements like that is why casuals really despise competitive players as a whole. Now i know what Bralwer360 said was wrong (i'm a casual and even i could tell you that it was an idiotic statement).

Although in an extrememly minute sense, i DO understand where he's coming from, since the competitive scene (which, really, majorly is centered around the use of advanced techniques) isnt exactly welcoming (it shows here).

@ Brawler360 - Suck it up, learn the techniques. You'll have time to like everyone else this time around, so theres no excuse and no use blaming everyone else for your flaws and lack of willingless to learn advanced techniques.

Back on topic - Yes it's clearly a roll, theres no other way of going about it.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Heeey! Awesome. So if Luigi still has almost no traction, this means that he should be able to SHFFWL to slide across the stage, eh?
NO

What people don't seem to understand is that the Mario vid was a roll and in the Link vid, he only slides because of the physics engine. He's going down a slope, he slides, end of story. You can't waveland unless you have a source of momentum, so air dodging won't work. Certain attacks MAY work, but its highly unlikely that any real Wavelanding options will be available in Brawl.

@PwnyRide: this WAS a competitive only forum for a long time, dedicated to advanced play in Smash/Pokemon. However, with the influx of Brawl info, the forums attracted alot of casual players rather rapidly, so don't be surprised if ALOT of people here talk about advanced tactics and such.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
ITT: Nubs who live in denial not accepting that Wavelanding is in.

That example shown is just a rolling dodge though.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
NO

@PwnyRide: this WAS a competitive only forum for a long time, dedicated to advanced play in Smash/Pokemon. However, with the influx of Brawl info, the forums attracted alot of casual players rather rapidly, so don't be surprised if ALOT of people here talk about advanced tactics and such.
Oh no no i wasnt surprised, dont get me wrong, i plan to meld into the competitive community (with work;)) upon Brawl's release anyway :bee:

xXx_KidIcarus_xXx

Smash Apprentice
0:12 - Mario full jumps backwards, and at the height of the jump, he airdodges. He travels downwards to the left diagonally in the airdodge pose.
0:13 - Mario exits airdodge pose. Continuing in the same direction, he airdodges again, just as Ike dashes towards him with a Side-B attack..
erm, mkmelee, in Brawl, do you not go into freefall after air dodging or somethng? because if not, i don't see how mario could do TWO air dodges, if in fact you DO go into freefall, then there is no way it could be wavelanding could there? it would have to be a very quick roll.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman

You'd have a good argument if he didn't land on a slope. Brawl uses the havoc engine, which means physics/momentum are taken into account(more so then melee anyways). Most likely its just his momentum plus the slope that caused him to slide that far. If he did the same thing on a flat surface you would have had a good argument.

onniichan

Smash Rookie
Wavelanding is based on the momentum that directioning an air dodge gives you. In SSBB, you can't direction air dodges. Other than that, it couldn't be a Lag-Cancel if he wasn't coming out of any moves. Just coming out of another air dodge - no frames to cut short.

Look closely, anyway. The dust cloud doesn't cover what Mario comes out of, and that's a roll. Albeit a fast one, with SSBB's engine, but still a roll.

Top Bottom