• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavelanding still *definitely* in. (video)

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Haven't we known for a longtime that you preserve your momentum when you airdodge? Mario is just keeping his horizontal momentum after the dodge.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Yes the Mario does roll, but he clearly does a waveland just before it.
0:10 - 0:11 - Mario Up-B's Ike, and lands on the moving platform.
0:12 - Mario full jumps backwards, and at the height of the jump, he airdodges. He travels downwards to the left diagonally in the airdodge pose.
0:13 - Mario exits airdodge pose. Continuing in the same direction, he airdodges again, just as Ike dashes towards him with a Side-B attack.
0:13 - 0:14 - Now this is where it's near impossible to tell exactly what's going on. Ike's slash passes through Mario who's still airdodging, because of invincibilty frames. Immediately after Ike's slash, Mario hit's the ground from his airdodge, in his crouched landing pose. There's a puff of smoke, and it's hard to see where Mario is, but he's definitely moved leftwards along the stage. Then you see him slide out to the left of Ike, who is still in his slashing frames.
0:14 - Mario then rolls to the left and follows with a shield.

If you're thinking that Mario rolled because he's turned towards Ike rather than away from him, it's cause Mario was turned away from the beginning, as he jumped backwards, airdodged backwards following the momentum, and then wavelanded backwards. It's only sensible that he should remain facing this direction.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Xanderous, rename the thread.
New technique: WaveRoll

He definitely has full invincibility frames on the airdodge and on the roll.
I'm not sure what you're looking at but when Ike slashes, Mario only doesn't get hit as he's still airdodging, which is completely normal. He's not being slashed at when he progresses into the waveland, so I'm not sure how that confirms invincibility frames on a roll...

SniperRy

Smash Apprentice
When Mario "rolled" he actually wavelanded because he did a jab while he was still sliding.
all i see when i pause this video in the crossing of Ike and Mario is a Blur of red right over Ike's back. This tells me that Mario wearing the white hat did a roll.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Yeah there was a little crappy waveland. hopefully they don't get much better than that. I really pray this game is refined past those "pro" (cough cough) techniques.

Zodiac

Smash Master
You people are going to ruin the game before it even comes out with your 'advanced techniques'.

I just thought I'd let you know that.
Your a noob/idiot who doesn't understand the implications of what kind of an impact no advanced techniques will make on the competitive community.

and its not a wave land, he rolls after he lands, the lag its next to nothing though.

Zek

Smash Ace
Uh, if you guys have read the E4All impressions then you would know that "wavelanding" no longer has anything to do with aerial dodging. It was performed by using certain aerials that pulls you left/right as you land. Who knows if that's still in, but this is not wavelanding. It's just Mario doing an airdodge, landing, and rolling.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Uh, if you guys have read the E4All impressions then you would know that "wavelanding" no longer has anything to do with aerial dodging. It was performed by using certain aerials that pulls you left/right as you land. Who knows if that's still in, but this is not wavelanding. It's just Mario doing an airdodge, landing, and rolling.
Thanks.

10 characters.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Whats all this "Wavelanding" nonsense? Its called the Money Slide($lide) :laugh:

P.S. it is just a roll, but like whoever it was that called it a Waveroll(sorry, forgot your name) it is very important to note that there was little to no lag coming out of the air dodge, which is something that will surely become very usefull to advanced play in brawl.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
I don't get this.

That had to be a dodge. Why? because if wavelanding was in, that means wavedashing MUST be in as well. A wavedash is essentially a waveland. Everyone knows wavedashing is impossible in Brawl, therefore there is no way that that could have been a waveland, as if wavelanding was in, you would also be able to wavedash! DO YOU FOLLOW!!?

Besides, it looked like a dodge to me.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
That had to be a dodge. Why? because if wavelanding was in, that means wavedashing MUST be in as well.
This is not even close to being true. Sorry. No offense but you clearly don't know enough about how wavedashing and wavelanding work to accurately comment on the subject. Then again, neither do 99% of the people in this thread.

To clarify, wavelanding could theoretically still be done because the momentum and direction would be derived from the fall of your jump. The reason that WDing, conversely, is impossible is because there is no source of momentum or direction given the new airdodge.

Tank McCannon

Smash Journeyman
I don't get this.

That had to be a dodge. Why? because if wavelanding was in, that means wavedashing MUST be in as well. A wavedash is essentially a waveland. Everyone knows wavedashing is impossible in Brawl, therefore there is no way that that could have been a waveland, as if wavelanding was in, you would also be able to wavedash! DO YOU FOLLOW!!?

Besides, it looked like a dodge to me.
Oh wow, where to begin...

Just because wavelanding is in does not mean wavedashing has to be in. We were able to wavedash in Melee because we could airdodge downward the moment after we jump. That was what made us wavedash, and we can't do that anymore.

We could waveland by airdodging into the ground, but not right after a jump like wavedashing. This is something we can still do. We may not be able to airdodge in a specific direction, but we can still fall in a given direction, and if we airdodge the moment before we hit the ground, we will waveland.

So yeah, you don't need to wavedash to waveland. While the result is similar, they are different.

NyTeStRiDeR provided a clip of Link wavelanding if you still need clearer proof.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
It was *definately* a roll, go back to looking for more glitches.

Krell

Smash Journeyman
Are you talking about the ROLL or the SIDE B?
God****... some people just can't give up their advanced techs.

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD6lRxQJbko
1:54 Link does a waveland ..... so stop bickering sheesh...........
note: the floor was not level so that might have helped with the distance link traveled
This is, without a doubt, a waveland. OP should edit this into original post. Mario clearly rolls. Anyone who's played Brawl (myself) can see it immediatley. Even if you overlook the obvious because you want wavelanding in so bad, admit that mario's rolling and refer to NyTe's video instead.

Japanese Monk

Smash Journeyman
Watched the mario vid again. I recant what I said. It was a VERY quick roll not a waveland. After slowing it down you can see he quickly dodges...

Thrull

Smash Cadet
Mario doesn't speed thanks to the air dodge (which imparts zero momentum, as numerous people have confirmed) - he speeds up AFTER he lands, so there's really no reason to call this a wavelanding. I think it's a pretty clear cut landing/roll. This is a neat trick though, since you get invincibility frames right until you hit the ground and then are in full control with no delay. It looks sort of like a wavelanding, but the whole point of that was changing directions/speeding up using the air dodge, which doesn't work anymore.

Super Mario 221

Smash Rookie
The Mario first jumps off of a moving platform, and does an air dodge I believe around 12 seconds. It propels him down wards diagonally to the left, and immediately after as he's about to hit the ground, he air dodges again, only this time he hits the ground and slides a huge distance to the left, moving past Marth.
thats not Marth its Ike

Finch

Smash Lord
If any of the people saying it's a roll had actually ever done a waveland in their lives, they would know immediately that this is a waveland, not a roll. Nice find.

Top Bottom