• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

wavedashing?

PikachuPrincess

Smash Rookie
So from what I understand, wavedashing as Pikachu SUCKS because their jump is FAST and their wavedash is SHORT and therefore it takes MORE skill and effort with LESS pay off to do, adding TWO LAYERS OF DIFFICULTY to doing it consistently, and I hate wavedashing to begin with so this isn't going to be fun.

But that little rant aside, what is the best way to practice wavedashing as Pikachu? So far I've just been doing it over and over and over again in training mode, as well as playing VS matches against low-level CPUs just to get used to wavedashing around opponents. I've been doing that for a while, but I'm still not really doing it effectively and I don't see myself improving. What more can I do to practice wavedashing and integrate wavedashing into my actual gameplay?

Any advice would be much appreciated. ^-^

So from what I understand, wavedashing as Pikachu SUCKS because their jump is FAST and their wavedash is SHORT and therefore it takes MORE skill and effort with LESS pay off to do, adding TWO LAYERS OF DIFFICULTY to doing it consistently, and I hate wavedashing to begin with so this isn't going to be fun.

But that little rant aside, what is the best way to practice wavedashing as Pikachu? So far I've just been doing it over and over and over again in training mode, as well as playing VS matches against low-level CPUs just to get used to wavedashing around opponents. I've been doing that for a while, but I'm still not really doing it effectively and I don't see myself improving. What more can I do to practice wavedashing and integrate wavedashing into my actual gameplay?

Any advice would be much appreciated. ^-^
You can drop through platforms while in your shield. I kept trying it over and over again until eventually I saw a bit of progress. From not doing it at all to actually being able to perform this action a few times. Still lots of mistakes. My next aspect was to try implementing it in a match. Man it was dreadful, I couldn't do it period. Went back to the training mode method to work on it some more. Repeated trying to implement in matches with occasionally getting success, but I was still really slow at it and not able to perform 100% of the time. My next step it so continue to try to implement it during matches where I believe it should be used.

I recommend something similar. Just keep at it and try to actually use it in matches. Your ability to perform it should increase over time (maybe after months). While doing this you can figure out when to apply wavedashing. For a start, you should never drop shield. Wavedashing from shield is superior in every way. You have much less lag and you can start to act much sooner too. Or, wavedashing is the perfect way to quickly grab the ledge from someone. If you dash too far forward, wavedash helps correct your movement and you can go into your actions sooner than coming to a full stop or trying to crouch first to stop.

N64

Smash Champion
When I'm just solo practicing, if i don't have a particular thing I'm trying to get down I'll just practice movement. Wavedashing is an important part of this. Just try running around and mixing up how you're moving. Dashdance, wavedash, shffl aerials, get to the ledge and then waveland back onto the stage, etc. If you get used to just doing movement options in different orders then it's less likely to feel as awkward/forced when you use it in matches. Just move around until you're comfortable moving, then move some more. 10 years of playing and i still spend the majority of my training being comfortable moving around.

As far as knowing when to use it effectively, watching pro matches is probably best and trying to focus on when they wavedash (what situations they use it in, what they accomplish or try to accomplish with them, etc.). I made a similar post about a month ago on the topic that i'll try to dig up real quick.

Edit: found it, copypaste:
If you really want to see the multiple uses of WD for pikachu, I suggest you watch videos of Pikachad. He uses it a lot, often playing a bait-and-punishy game.

I just took the first result off youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fubjv1xslX8) and it's a pretty good example, especially the first match. To point out all the useful wavedashes would be overkill (and take pages), but i'll just select a few.
at 00:33 - Series of dashes/wavedashes trying to bait Scar into approaching
at 00:53 - Applying shield pressure, threatening shield grab, gets a successful nair punish
at 01:11 - Baiting Scar to drop/jump-out-of shield so he can nair. Even though Scar doesn't take the bait, Chad gets in position (from his wavedash) to nair Scar's shield and still land near Scar, threatening rising uair (which probably would have hit had he tried it).

and so on. As I mentioned, Pikachad uses it defensively (and/or to bait) most often, which is honestly probably the majority of its use for Pikachu.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
at this point in time, you want to just make sure you can do it consistently. Implementing it in to play is the harder part.
Once you can preform it 100% of the time, you'll want to work on using it to grab the ledge or to wavedash out of your shield.
As you get better, you'll begin using it for slight movement adjustments, but that is something that is learned, not something that is taught.

For now, learn the motion, make it muscle memory. You will naturally learn to use it properly with time.

Daem

Smash Rookie
I started working on wave dashing as almost the first thing, it really helped me. I would suggest focusing on that.

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
You can drop through platforms while in your shield. I kept trying it over and over again until eventually I saw a bit of progress. From not doing it at all to actually being able to perform this action a few times. Still lots of mistakes. My next aspect was to try implementing it in a match. Man it was dreadful, I couldn't do it period. Went back to the training mode method to work on it some more. Repeated trying to implement in matches with occasionally getting success, but I was still really slow at it and not able to perform 100% of the time. My next step it so continue to try to implement it during matches where I believe it should be used.
reminds me of the past two weeks of my solo melee play. i've always wanted to waveshine with fox, and i met some space animals that told me the finer points of the shine. i went home and practiced wavedashing and waveshining and couldn't do it at all. the next couple days i could do them a couple times every 15 minutes or so. then one time i did it 5 times in a row. haven't played fox in a bit. should get back on it, now that im thinking about it. point being: i agree that gaining familiarity by repetition can help one gain consistency.

Top Bottom