• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavebird + WiFi = Disaster?

krossjosh

Smash Rookie
Hey all. As you can probably tell I'm not one who posts often. In fact the only real reason I joined SWF is because it was the first website I heard of that has a Brawl matchmaking service...or had :dizzy:

On that note I would like to ask a question about Brawl that I haven't really found an answer to here on the forums just by searching. Have Wavebird controllers been known to be slow to react or sometimes just flat out miss a command you input on occasion? Lately I have been trying to figure out if thats the case or if I am just mixing it up with general input delay on WiFi (just in case your curious I have cable going through a Vonage router to connect my Wii). The question is in regards to a match on WiFi without frame slowdown. Any feedback will be appreciated.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Any Wireless controller tends to have more general input lag than a wired controller, and the Wavebird is an example of that. Between the signal interference, GIL, and battery consumption, you are better off using a standard firstparty controller, especially online.

krossjosh

Smash Rookie
Any Wireless controller tends to have more general input lag than a wired controller, and the Wavebird is an example of that. Between the signal interference, GIL, and battery consumption, you are better off using a standard firstparty controller, especially online.
Yes...I have heard rumors that Wavebirds seem to not work as well as a regular controller due to the wireless signal it emits but I wasn't exacty sure. Its a real shame that I don't have a GC controller that's in good shape though. Oh well...guess I'll have to either find a semi-functional wired controller in my own household or buy a new (most likely used since I think the firstparty brand was discontinued) GC controller. Thanks for the straightforward and informative answer!

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
The best place to find matches is no longer on SWF.

Check on AllisBrawl.com and after registering, go to their Free Play chatroom, and you'll find tons of people to play.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I donno. I use a wavebird online sometimes and I get the same input lag as I do that on a normal GC controller. I'll have to see if there's any real difference, but I'd always use a wired anyways.

krossjosh

Smash Rookie
The best place to find matches is no longer on SWF.

Check on AllisBrawl.com and after registering, go to their Free Play chatroom, and you'll find tons of people to play.
A lot of people reccomend AiB and one of these days I'm actually going to have to sign up. Thanks for the suggestion though...

Top Bottom