• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wave Dodge?

nightSN

Smash Ace
im thinking that its just like DPC (dash pivot cancel) like if you put it on as an a stick you get the same momentum as that "wave dodge" so im guessing: run, turnaround, DPC into ftilt and quickly spotdodge. but thats what im guessing, havent tried it yet.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
k was able to recreate this perfect, its simply actually just f dilt the as mario is about to put is foot down just dodge
im thinking that its just like DPC (dash pivot cancel) like if you put it on as an a stick you get the same momentum as that "wave dodge" so im guessing: run, turnaround, DPC into ftilt and quickly spotdodge. but thats what im guessing, havent tried it yet.
did you two read this thread at all?

no **** its simply a ftilt. we've been saying that the entire time anyway, but the timing is the second his whole foot touches the groud.

it works into a crouch, downsmash, spot dodge, and shield after crouch.
read the freaking thread Lezard

SN you should leave, dont post unless you know what your talking about. this has nothing to do with dash pivot cancel

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
So Ftilt -> crouch/dodge/dsmash will work.

Now, does this honestly have a chance to be utilized in battle like the WD could?

Koga

Smash Journeyman
I don't know, This seems to move him farther than the momentum of his f tilt if it was allowed to finish. That's the only question in my head.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
what?

the second his foot is totally on the group is the best slide if thats what you are talking about

this isnt a big deal, although it is giving us more ideas about brawls overall mechanics, its nothing really special. just i side note.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
what?

the second his foot is totally on the group is the best slide if thats what you are talking about

this isnt a big deal, although it is giving us more ideas about brawls overall mechanics, its nothing really special. just i side note.
on the group?

anyways, i didn't say it was a big deal, however; if you allow the ftilt animation to finish mario does not move as far back because of that animation as he does when this happens.

what i think it is though is that due to the spot dodge animation that it moves mario's front end to where his back foot would land at the end of the Ftilt animation.

i'm just wondering if you can cancel a dash attack into this on the same frame that you can cancel to a boost smash.

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
YES! Finally somewhat is on the same page as me. The mario F-tilt to 1/2 inch slide doesn't mean much to me, but the mechanics behind it intrigue me. If we were to cancel a dash attack with a dodge, we would have a wavedash. We can't cancel a dash attack with, lets say, a f-smash, because you cannot do a forward smash while dashing. You CAN however, dodge out of a dash. Also, I believe that all attacks that can be jump-canceled can cancel a dash attack. The running up-smash works by dashing, jumping, but upsmashing before you leave the ground. This also happens during a snakedash, but the jump is inputted automatically with the upsmash when you press grab and up. If we were to take fox, start a dash attack, cancel it with a jump, then with a shine, I believe that waveshining can become a reality. Any ideas/testing?

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
on the group?

anyways, i didn't say it was a big deal, however; if you allow the ftilt animation to finish mario does not move as far back because of that animation as he does when this happens.

what i think it is though is that due to the spot dodge animation that it moves mario's front end to where his back foot would land at the end of the Ftilt animation.

i'm just wondering if you can cancel a dash attack into this on the same frame that you can cancel to a boost smash.
ground. i cant spell or type

it has nothing to do with spot dodging, it is just something you can do while sliding

your last comment is stupid

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
reverse canceled dash dodge!!! lol j.k

this could be big tho. needs more testing. again brawl is just throwing out more dodgine, defensive tactics

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
YES! Finally somewhat is on the same page as me. The mario F-tilt to 1/2 inch slide doesn't mean much to me, but the mechanics behind it intrigue me. If we were to cancel a dash attack with a dodge, we would have a wavedash. We can't cancel a dash attack with, lets say, a f-smash, because you cannot do a forward smash while dashing. You CAN however, dodge out of a dash. Also, I believe that all attacks that can be jump-canceled can cancel a dash attack. The running up-smash works by dashing, jumping, but upsmashing before you leave the ground. This also happens during a snakedash, but the jump is inputted automatically with the upsmash when you press grab and up. If we were to take fox, start a dash attack, cancel it with a jump, then with a shine, I believe that waveshining can become a reality. Any ideas/testing?
Fox can do his new pseudo waveshine if you do the dash-short-hop-shine thingy.

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
I know about jump-canceled shine, but I'm thinking of a dash-canceled jump-canceled shine, it may carry momentum from dash attack into shine.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
We must learn more about the properties of the hyphen smash. If it is just a jump-canceled upsmash, then why can't I wave shine by canceling a dash attack with a jump-canceled shine.

If it is just a jump-canceled smash, then we may be able to do many other sliding jump-canceled attacks, thus bringing a part of wavedashing back, and waveshining for you foxes out there.
it's not a jump cancelled smash. If it were, it wouldnt be possible without tap jump on, or at least possible using only the stick.

The usmash out of shield IS a jump cancelled smash because you cant do it without tap jump. If you have it off, then you must press a jump button before you smash.
It's my understanding that a lot of the jump-cancelling mechanics from Melee (jump-cancelled grabs are the only one I can remember off the top of my head) don't apply anymore, which suggests that they tried to take out jump cancelling in general. But there was no way to get rid of jump-cancelled up-smashes/up-Bs. If they did, inputting an up-smash with tap jumping on would be impossible. You would get stuck in a jump every time you tried, or else there could only be like a one-frame input for the A/B-button press. Which would have been bad.

So, as long as jump-cancelled up-smashes out of a dash were going to have to be possible anyway, they probably just decided to mark up-smashes as an allowable input during a dash so as to save everyone a whole bunch of trouble. Come to think of it, it's kind of odd that they wouldn't have done the same for shields...in any case, hyphen smashing seems like something that was deliberately applied to the up-smash by the developers as a consequence of the necessity of having jump-cancelled up-smashes in the game, and I sincerely doubt the mechanic is applicable to any other move (aside from up-Bs, I guess). It's not like it was some kind of oversight.

Jump-cancelling DOES still have a few interesting hiccups to it (see Squirtle's Hydroplaning, which does require it: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=148902), but it still seems unlikely that the jump-cancelling/hyphen-smashing route is going to get us anywhere with anything besides up-smashes and maybe up-Bs.

Top Bottom