• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wart - Subcon's Troublesome Toad for Smash!

Oddball

Smash Lord
My idea for Wart moves.

Special: Blows a stream of bubbles at you
Forward Special: Blows a really big bubble. if you touch it you get caught inside it, similar to Yoshi's egg
Up Special: Flies upward at an angle on a Magic carpet
Down Special: Hold up a key while A Phanto spins around him.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
My idea for Wart moves.

Special: Blows a stream of bubbles at you
Forward Special: Blows a really big bubble. if you touch it you get caught inside it, similar to Yoshi's egg
Up Special: Flies upward at an angle on a Magic carpet
Down Special: Hold up a key with A Phantom spins around him.
Those are amazing, the Down Special really got me. I think you can also get away letting Wart throw 8bit Shy Guys.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Happy new years Subcon fans! Let's pray we get our frog king in Smash this decade as well as the return of the 8-Bits in the Mario games this decade. ;)

UserKev

Smash Champion
Am I the only one who REALLY wants a Subcon level theme in Super Mario Maker?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Am I the only one who REALLY wants a Subcon level theme in Super Mario Maker?
No you're not the only one, I want it too. I especially want all the different enemies from that game in Mario Maker because a majority of them appear nowhere else in the Mario series.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

So Nintendo has shown off official artwork from their 2020 Recruitment Pamphlet and our frog boi is in it. Could this be a sign that he is finally making his grand return to the Mario franchise? :estatic:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Congrats about Wart getting represented in that new Nintendo book for new employees!

Hopefully it all keeps getting bigger for Wart from now on.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I love it when they introduce fan-requested characters. I remember he was one of the ones people asked for in Mario spin offs.

BZocky

Smash Ace
Came here as soon as I saw that artwork. It’s a surprise, and a welcome one, for sure to see Nintendo officially acknowledge Wart after all these years even in a smaller role like this. I support Wart.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So after seeing Daisy talking to Wart in that official Nintendo artwork it has made me thinking will Nintendo make another game with Sarasaland in it but with the 8-Bits and Wart somehow invading? Have you guys ever watched Super Mario Bros. Heroes of the Stars? Well in Episode 9 I'll drop it right here:

Wart is visted by Princess Shroom and she wants him to guard the 2nd Star Spirit which is in Sarasaland. Shroom tells Wart about Mario and friends and he freaks out thinking that Mario was only in a dream he had once. He decides to go there to capture the 2nd Star Spirit and Daisy who currently has it. Crazy thing about this if I'm right, AsylusGoji91 the creator of this animation would have predicted or done this idea before Nintendo years earlier. Wouldn't that be crazy.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Amazing. Definitely interesting and promising. It may not actually be more than currently but Wart is certainly memorable to say the last.

Wart is officially a Mario character. :chuckle:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Do I like Wart? Yes, However I'm aware the fact some people seriously misinterpret the return of K Rool into that longtime absent characters from big serie can return directly in Smash bros instead of the regular games, while K Rool is still controversial for the fact he is still absent from late DK/Mario games so it doesn't really help the argument.

It'd be nice to make Pauline a role model of successful returnee after long time absence. At this point Wart is almost just an exclusive to Super Mario Bros. 2 / Doki Doki Panic, despite it's a mainline game for Mario franchise, so it'd be nice to see him make further appearances outside his own origin.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

So Nintendo has shown off official artwork from their 2020 Recruitment Pamphlet and our frog boi is in it. Could this be a sign that he is finally making his grand return to the Mario franchise? :estatic:
If there's a chance, it's definitely now. Nintendo seems keen on doing remakes for the Switch. I could see a SMB2 remake happening easily, or a reimagined version of the game. Since Pauline is also back, which I also never really expected, it's definitely possible.

Also, I don't expect him for Smash, and as the poster above said, Wart shouldn't be compared to King K.Rool. K.Rool has many more appearances, and is still considered the main villain of the DKC games. Wart doesn't compare to that.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Do I like Wart? Yes, However I'm aware the fact some people seriously misinterpret the return of K Rool into that longtime absent characters from big serie can return directly in Smash bros instead of the regular games, while K Rool is still controversial for the fact he is still absent from late DK/Mario games so it doesn't really help the argument.

It'd be nice to make Pauline a role model of successful returnee after long time absence. At this point Wart is almost just an exclusive to Super Mario Bros. 2 / Doki Doki Panic, despite it's a mainline game for Mario franchise, so it'd be nice to see him make further appearances outside his own origin.
If there's a chance, it's definitely now. Nintendo seems keen on doing remakes for the Switch. I could see a SMB2 remake happening easily, or a reimagined version of the game. Since Pauline is also back, which I also never really expected, it's definitely possible.

Also, I don't expect him for Smash, and as the poster above said, Wart shouldn't be compared to King K.Rool. K.Rool has many more appearances, and is still considered the main villain of the DKC games. Wart doesn't compare to that.
It's true that Wart isn't as iconic or popular as K. Rool, but he was the leader of the 8-Bits and guess who was in the 8-Bits? Bob-Ombs, Shy Guys, and Birdos. Imagine if Nintendo didn't repackage Doki Doki as Super Mario Bros. 2 else where in the world, we haven't Bob-Ombs, Shy Guys, and Birdo in Mario games, we wouldn't have Bob-Omb Battlefield in Super Mario 64, Shy Guy's Toy Box in Paper Mario, and more. The decision from a Nintendo American localizer to bring Doki Doki Panic as Super Mario Bros. 2 outside of Japan changed the Mario franchise in a way wouldn't couldn't imagine what it would look like without those characters especially Bob-Ombs. I think Wart is worthy for a Smash slot as a retro rep. I would see him as a Game & Watch 2.0 bringing out weapons from different enemies from Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario Bros. 2 into his moveset. I could see him using the magic carpet for his recovery, Mouser's Bombs for his Side Special, and his bubbles for his Neutral Special.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
It's true that Wart isn't as iconic or popular as K. Rool, but he was the leader of the 8-Bits and guess who was in the 8-Bits?
It reminds me of people who claim that Geno should fight in Smash because SMRPG is the first Mario RPG, not because the like for Geno himself.

Again, fo such case, I only say that Birdo and other enemies are the ones NIntendo is willing to keep in the modern Mario universe, which is the most vital. If Nintendo think Doki Doki Panic is influential enough for Mario series, they'd keep Wart just like they kept Pauline and Rosalina. Obviously in the cases of mainline characters like Stanley, Sprixie and Tatanga, Nintendo do have a selective side for main cast. Having a mainline role isn't really an evergreen garuntee for the future.

Smash bros should focus more on retro or discontinued franchises, not supposed to soley focus on longtime absent characters of running franchsies. The new games of running franchises are supposed to be the best place for retro characters to return.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It reminds me of people who claim that Geno should fight in Smash because SMRPG is the first Mario RPG, not because the like for Geno himself.

Again, fo such case, I only say that Birdo and other enemies are the ones NIntendo is willing to keep in the modern Mario universe, which is the most vital. If Nintendo think Doki Doki Panic is influential enough for Mario series, they'd keep Wart just like they kept Pauline and Rosalina. Obviously in the cases of mainline characters like Stanley, Sprixie and Tatanga, Nintendo do have a selective side for main cast. Having a mainline role isn't really an evergreen garuntee for the future.

Smash bros should focus more on retro or discontinued franchises, not supposed to soley focus on longtime absent characters of running franchsies. The new games of running franchises are supposed to be the best place for retro characters to return.
Bob-Ombs have basically been incorporated into the mainline Mario series and are very iconic items in the games. Especially Super Mario 64. So I don't think you can compare Geno and SMRPG to Doki Doki Panic's impact on the Mario franchise.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I agree that Wart deserves a place in Smash on legacy alone, he's more deserving on the scale of most request retros when you really think about it.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Bob-Ombs have basically been incorporated into the mainline Mario series and are very icon items in the games. Especially Super Mario 64. So I don't think you can compare Geno and SMRPG to Doki Doki Panic's impact on the Mario franchise.
Note that I use Geno as a example because I love the characters both but do not think their origins serve sole reasons for their Smash entry. Mario & co still matter the most in the Mario games, and we would never know if NIntendo acknowledge the importance of specific characters until they officially brought them back like they did to Pauline.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Note that I use Geno as a example because I love the characters both but do not think their origins serve sole reasons for their Smash entry. Mario & co still matter the most in the Mario games, and we would never know if NIntendo acknowledge the importance of specific characters until they officially brought them back like they did to Pauline.
Perhaps so.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Give the number of Mario sports and Karting games, it baffles me that characters like Wart and Tatanga have never gotten any kind of playable apperance. They let people control basic mooks left and right, but they can't bring back a Final Boss character?

UserKev

Smash Champion
Give the number of Mario sports and Karting games, it baffles me that characters like Wart and Tatanga have never gotten any kind of playable apperance. They let people control basic mooks left and right, but they can't bring back a Final Boss character?
Nintendo probably don't see them as noticeably important. It will take core fan demand to get them in if not sheer realization by Nintendo. I can actually see Sakurai taking interest in Wart as a curve ball pick.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
With the high possibility of our Arms rep being a promotion, Wart could be set free of the Spirit prison. He certainly will be a top contender for the Retro slot if there is one if he appears in a new game or remake of Doki Doki Panic this year or the next.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Subcon is probably my favorite Super Mario instalment. There's just something I really like about the level design in the game. There should have honestly been some sequel with return of Wart.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I made up a moveset for Wart awhile back:

Natural Special: Bubbles: He would be shooting bubbles from his mouth like in his boss fight. It would be kind of similar to Ridley's Netural Special.

Side Special: Mouser's Bombs: He would be moving around freely as he is throwning bombs like Mouser did. The bombs would do less damage than a Bob-Omb item so probably 15% or 17%.

Recovery: Flying Carpet: He would be flying around on the Flying Carpet, but it would only last for a second or two before it disappears.

Down Special: Phantos Summoning: Wart would summon a Phantos mask to go and chase you until you killed it. The Phantos would have a hit box so you can KO it in a hit or two.

Final Smash: 8-Bit Destruction: All the 8-Bits and Wart get together to get lay a smackdown on you. And they finish off the beating with Wart and the other bosses finishing the other player off with their specialties.

What do y'all think?

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
So I made up a moveset for Wart awhile back:

Natural Special: Bubbles: He would be shooting bubbles from his month like in his boss fight. It would be kind of similar to Ridley's Netural Special.

Side Special: Mouser's Bombs: He would be moving around freely as he is throwning bombs like Mouser did. The bombs would do less damage than a Bob-Omb item so probably 15% or 17%.

Recovery: Flying Carpet: He would be flying around on the Flying Carpet, but it would only last for a second or two before it disappears.

Down Special: Phantos Summoning: Wart would summon a Phantos mask to go and chase you until you killed it. The Phantos would have a hit box so you can KO it in a hit or two.

Final Smash: 8-Bit Destruction: All the 8-Bits and Wart get together to get lay a smackdown on you. And they finish off the beating with Wart and the other bosses finishing the other player off with their specialties.

What do y'all think?
Amazing work. The mouser bombs is growing on me.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I support Wart (and Tatanga).

I think that him, Tatanga, Pauline and Cpt Syrup should be regulars in Mario Kart/Party/sport games.
On a side note though I'm surprised at most people being impressed by Pauline's return when she's been around for a while even before Mario Odyssey... She was a recurring character in the Mario vs DK series and has got her own mini-toy too.

Anyway, while making a moveset for Wart is challenging because there's very little from the source material, it still can be interesting due to all the items he can bring from SMB2.

I've read some ideas for specialm moves in the other posts and I like them.
My idea would be:

-neutral special
obviously bubbles. The attack is slow and powerful, it puts you in a vulnerable state for a while so it's dangerous to use. the bubbles explode on touch.

-up special
magic carpet: it's an unique move that lets him float for a few seconds but act as if he was on land, he can perform smash attacks and other stuff on it, but will be destroyed if it gets any damage.
It floats left and right around a specific (invisible) point that can be moved by the player. The center point moves slowly, so the left-right movements of the carpet are more confusing than useful, both for the player and for the opponents.
The carpet disappears in a white cartoony cloud that doesn't deal any damage. When the carpet breaks/disappears, Wart falls through it in a helpless status until he lands. He can jump out of it at any time by pressing jump; the effect is similar to Bowser Jr's up special minus the explosion (Wart also has a simple attack he can do until he lands).

-Side special
Wart throws some junk in front of himself. This junk being, Vegetables (common), Mouser's bombs (rare), a red POW block (very rare), a cursed key (very rare) or a magic potion (super rare).
He can't hold those items, he just grabs them and throws them instantly as part of the same animation.

The vegetables are similar to Peach's, but despite having different looks, they all do the same damage and are only the smaller ones with no face; though Wart throws 3 of them at once: they're basically a weaker and faster bubbles attack. The vegetables can be grabbed with timing but they're risky to grab because multiple of them are thrown at the same time and you could be hit by the others.
Mouser's bombs are similar to Link's bombs, but they make the "Bomb" comic-like effect when they explode. If they don't hit, they stay on land until explosion, and can be grabbed.
The POW block is a red one, different from the item, less powerful. It only damages in a small (visible) range, and is consumed in one single hit.
the cursed key does big damage on hit, but if you miss it stays on the stage for a while. It can be grabbed both by your enemies and Wart himself, and thrown again... though as long as you hold it, Phanto masks will chase you.
The magic potion does minor damage (maybe it adds you a random status too), but if it lands on ground, it spawns a door. Anyone can enter the door and disappear in it for a couple of seconds: when you exit the door, it will disappear and you will be healed of about 30%
The magic potion can appear only once per stock.

Unlike Peach, Wart doesn't grab the items out of the ground, so he can perform this move mid-air as well.
When throwing an item, you can change the horizontal distance at which you will throw them (by tilting the analog stick left and right), similar to how you can change Yoshi's eggs direction. Wart grabs those items with both hands and throws them from above his head; in that small amount of time, the random item is visible and the player can decide where to throw it depending on what the item is (for example, if it's a magic potion, you may want to throw it near yourself; vegetables will spread more if you launch them farther, though launching them closer may cause the enemy to be hit by multiple vegetables at once).

-down special
Wart puts down a pot.
Pots can be short or tall, randomly, and they can be destroyed with a single attack that's strong enough (any smash attack would work).
Each pot has one of those snake enemies inside: they can jump and spit projectiles in front of them.
If a pot is created on a ledge or mid-air, it will fall and damage the enemies below (if falling, it will break on impact even if it lands where nobody is).
The snakes won't spawn until the pot is correctly placed on land.

-final smash
A cutscene where Wart does a combined attack with the other bosses and a few regular enemies such as snifits, phanto masks, and others.

EDIT: added some details on the side special description

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
After just playing the remake of Link's Awakening, I'm now convinved that oen of Wart's taunts needs to be a little song and dance.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm torn between ideas for Wart's trailer.

On one hand, I'd love to see him come out of nowhere to beat down Bowser.

On the other, I like the idea of Mario and Link falling alseep (and meeting Kirby) only to be terrorized in the dreamworld by Wart.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm torn between ideas for Wart's trailer.

On one hand, I'd love to see him come out of nowhere to beat down Bowser.

On the other, I like the idea of Mario and Link falling alseep (and meeting Kirby) only to be terrorized in the dreamworld by Wart.
The last idea sounds great for a Wart trailer. Imagine if Mario, Luigi, and Peach are fighting in Subcon and all of a sudden they hear a laugh and bombs starts falling out of the air with Phantos enemies in pursuit. They look up and see Wart on the flying carpet and the camera zooms in on Wart and he says "Hahaha! I'm the great Wart!" cuts to gameplay. At the end of the trailer you see Wart about to shoot out bubbles from his mouth like in his boss fight and Peach throws a vegetable in his mouth and he makes that expression when you throw a vegetable in his mouth like in Doki Doki Panic/SMB2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom