• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Warning: The Dojo gives updates that are already given, not unlockables & secrets

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
We all can admit Sakurai is definitely prolific (he likes hearing himself talk) and prosaic (he can be consistent in being random and eccentric).

For Melee, he did a blog too where he gave away info but never the unlockables or the secrets. He spilled the unlockable details all after Melee was released until the last update possible. He is doing the same time with the Smash Dojo involved with Brawl information.

So don't give up hope that he said Wario was special with his alternate costume. For all you know, other characters could possibly be given costumes too if you unlock it. Its NOT surprising. Costumes were basically a quarter of the stuff unlocked in the Soul Calibur and Tekkan series. (I don't see why Sakurai made Wario have so many color swaps-Wario costume should have been a 7th welcome addition, not another "character" to the roster. He's wasting so much memory that could have been used for other stuff.)

I can't wait to see Brawl in front of my eyes that's playable cause Japanese translators ARE SUPPOSE to be ambiguous when it comes to information being released beforehand. Sakurai is happy making you all crazy these holidays.

sonicspeed 96

Smash Journeyman
So what your saying is that Sakurai is hiding all the good stuff till the release of the game.
So pretty much everything update until the release is gonna suck.
I can see that happening.
Oh wait! It is.

Reckoning A16

Smash Apprentice
Ok..I very much doubt Snake and Sonic will be playable from the start, unless you can give me some proof.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
This is just one opinion.

I'm pretty sure that SOME of the things we've seen on the Dojo WILL be unlockable. But then again, that's opinion.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I agree with the OP. I have a feeling there will be so much new to enjoy when we dig into Brawl. I don't think he'll reveal everything before the release.

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
Ok..I very much doubt Snake and Sonic will be playable from the start, unless you can give me some proof.
Why's everyone so determined this is so? I mean part of the reason a company would allow their character in is advertising, and it's a major selling point for the game, so therefore many people will buy the game purely for Sonic or Snake. So firstly what would be the point in having them advertised as being in the game, but unlockable? There would be no suprise in unlocking them and I've never known any Nintendo game that's actually advertised an unlockable character. Secondly if Sakuri had to make a lot of effort to get Snake and Sonic in, why would he then make them unlockable? Finally, surely, they accept that some people do not play games as much as others, and don't go out of thier way to unlock stuff, so surely it would be in advertisment interest to have them playable from the start? The only other example of why they wouldn't be unlockable I can give, is that Link was in Soul Calibur 2, and yet he wasn't unlockable, and he, just as Sonic and Snake have, had been revealed before the game came out.

This really won't matter when the game comes out, but there's absolutely no evidence that Snake and Sonic are unlockable as so many people seem to believe they are.

Shiny Ivysaur

Smash Journeyman
They're out.
Also, NEVER say Sakurai "is".
Say he "may be" or "Likely is", but Sakurai is the king of mindgames, and he CANNOT BE PREDICTED.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
While I can't say I agree with your logic, this thread is certainly the most intelligent rebuttle to the topic at hand. Personally, I think it's pretty clear we're not getting any other alt costumes, but that being said nothing is certain until the game is shipped next month.

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
Regiwi is awesome and all of you too for being so offensive and defensive. It shows that the Smash community really is building up to be open-minded (when I say open-minded I mean open to being optimistic or pessimisstic to my opinions lol). I'm torn between honesty and brute honesty but I'll accept whatever is on your minds people. Its a free chat anyway ;)

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
everything's a mind game to you people. please tell me how you cannot comprehend a phrase as simple as "Wario alone is special..".

it is not being close-minded. it is not being mean.

it is being logical.

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, all I can say about Wario, which I'm gonna get 'IT SAYS "WARIO ALONE!!!!!!!"' replies to is that simply it is a waste if they only put it in for Wario. I'm not saying there are any more deserving characters, and I really don't believe any Twilight Princess armours are gonna be in, but making a whole alternate model, going through the whole effort, just for one character, whoever they are is a waste, and as I keep reading apparently they 'really have thought of everything'. So as such, surely they've at least accepted the possiblility of other characters having alt costumes. From the looks of it, I'd say the Pokemon Trainer really is the easiest they ever could make, all they do is stand in the background, so I would of thought (I'm no proffessional games developer) that it would be easier than for any other character, to get them ALT costumes. BTW I also am personally biased as I've been hoping for this ever since Melee.

@Lumberheartwood- you know I'm awesome, and if Geno somehow isn't in Brawl, I'm giving him free transport to Japan. I hope you make the right decision Sakurai.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
I'm not saying there are any more deserving characters, and I really don't believe any Twilight Princess armours are gonna be in, but making a whole alternate model, going through the whole effort, just for one character, whoever they are is a waste
it only appears like a waste because alt costumes is a bigger deal to you.

what character has two distinct costumes that two different groups of fans recognize the character over?

Wario.

anybody else?

no. not one. get over it.

EDIT: don't even MENTION Pokemon Trainer, because he's not significant enough. he stays in the background the whole time. what's it matter if they just give him a dress and a difference face? serously.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I was actaully hoping for a few alternates
Dark Samus
Dr. Mario
Mr. L
Rosalina
Waddle Dee
Raichu
Just some examples for those of you who say Wario is the only character deserving of an alt. He was my number one too, but that doesn't mean there weren't plenty of other possibilities.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
Dark Samus and Dr. Mario aren't significant enough. besides, Samus probably already has a dark/purple-ish color.

Mr. L isn't significant enough.

Raichu is not Pikachu.

when I mean a fan of two distinct groups, I mean people who actually have a 50/50 view of Wario. not 99/1. nobody recognizes Samus from her dark version; they recognize her from her orange suit.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I agree with you completely. In fact, more people probably recognize Overalls Wario than they do the Warioware version, it's like 70/30. It just sounded like you were denying anyone else would have had a worthy enough alternate.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
I'm sure things like Zero Suit Samus and Dr. Mario are different enough to warrant a whole new costume for but it's apparent now that Sakurai's only doing it out of significance to the character; not just looking cool.

Reckoning A16

Smash Apprentice
it only appears like a waste because alt costumes is a bigger deal to you.

what character has two distinct costumes that two different groups of fans recognize the character over?

Wario.

anybody else?

no. not one. get over it.

EDIT: don't even MENTION Pokemon Trainer, because he's not significant enough. he stays in the background the whole time. what's it matter if they just give him a dress and a difference face? serously.
TP Link
Wind waker Link

you stand corrected.

The Director

Smash Lord
it is being logical.
Exactly. The alternate costume for Wario was made out of necessity, not Sakurai's heart. At one point, he made a decision to use the Wario Ware style Wario, and he knew that for the Wario hopefuls (which are few to begin with...right?) this could be sacrilidge.

How to solve the problem? Throw classic Wario in there to appease fans.

Could other characters have alternate costumes, too? Possibly, but I highly doubt it. Many people say "Zora armor Link" or "different suit Samuses" but the problem with those is that Sakurai would be adding an unnecessary feature. Not everybody needs alternate costumes, but some that have gone through many changes over the years may see their classic roots preserved in Brawl...

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
TP Link
Wind waker Link

you stand corrected.
You are an awesome person.

I don't like people that deny everything, even if someone else has a good and somewhat possible opinion.

I thank you for being optimistic and not so Scroogy* about eveything. =/GhostAnime\=

*Yes, I made a new, awesome word.

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
Fine, here we go. (And before you say they're totally different characters, Wario's whole character select pic is different for his alt, so surely they could change a name.)

Sonic could have Metal Sonic (I won't say Shadow as I have a fear of rabid Shadow fans)

Pokemon Trainer is not important? The whole thing about the trainer is that he/she's indistinct, so it would make sense for a simple ALT, I mean even the name's simply Pokemon Trainer, completely open to being anyone.

Dark Samus (People wanted her as a whole unique character, so some form of representation's not out of the question, and she's one of the few most common recurring bosses in the series, and IS the Metroid Prime series)

Falco or Wolf (And no arguments about them being more distinct, in Assault they all have pretty much the same moves.)

I still stand by my opinion that it is a waste, and it is, so many characters who originally would not have stood a chance could be simple ALTs. So to actually go to the effort of putting in an ALT feature but only leaving it for one character is simply a waste.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
it's not a waste because Wario is a special case.

it's a waste (to you) because you're selfish and only want alt costumes just for kicks.

gangstajuice02

Smash Ace
you might have a point but remember we all thought that Sonic was going to be the last update for brawl but he revealed it earlier than we expected!!

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
How dare I want fun ALT costumes in a game just for kicks, I should be happy there's a game being made at all, what a selfish brat I truely am!

Anyway, before this becomes a new 'ZOMG IT'S OBVIOUS THAT WARIO ALONE HAS THE ONLY ALT!!!!' thread I just want to say, I never said it should be in the game, I'm just saying it was one of the most requested features in Brawl, I've heard lots of people who agree that ALT costumes would be a great idea, because they'd be fun. I'll enjoy the game whatever but the point I'm simply making is that such a feature would be a great addition to the game and really if they're just gonna use it on one character, in my selfish opinion, it's a waste.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Okay, as far as unlockables, I believe somewhere around the internet Sakurai said through his translator that he intended on Snake being unlockable. He hasn't said anything about the others, but I know for a fact that Snake is going to be hidden when you first get the game.

As for the whole alt. costume debate. It's pretty clear cut and this late in the game, I don't think he's going to change his mind on the matter or be able to. To those who commented about Wario being the only character to truely have undergone a change? You are correct. He's the only character in the Nintendoverse who is that well known by the general populace for a different outfit outright. I think any casual gamer out there would be hard pressed to tell you differences in other character's different designs. Of course, if you want to point out any other characters with such a drastic change of wardrobe that people can, off the top of their head can tell you the difference. Go right ahead. now, I'm off to a Christmas Eve service, so feel free to comment. I'll catch up when I get back.

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
How dare I want fun ALT costumes in a game just for kicks, I should be happy there's a game being made at all, what a selfish brat I truely am!

Anyway, before this becomes a new 'ZOMG IT'S OBVIOUS THAT WARIO ALONE HAS THE ONLY ALT!!!!' thread I just want to say, I never said it should be in the game, I'm just saying it was one of the most requested features in Brawl, I've heard lots of people who agree that ALT costumes would be a great idea, because they'd be fun. I'll enjoy the game whatever but the point I'm simply making is that such a feature would be a great addition to the game and really if they're just gonna use it on one character, in my selfish opinion, it's a waste.
It is a waste. If it's possible for them to do it, why not do it to everyone. Or at least everyone that has a reasonable alt.

Dr. Mario is the perfect example. A lot of people who mained him in Melee would be hurt to not see him again in Brawl, so to make all of them happy, why not make him an alternate costume? IMO, there is absolutely no reason to not input him in the game for the Dr. Mario lovers. If any of you think there is, give me one.

ALT costumes would make the game more fun, there is not one single downside to them. I know people will disagree and say " It takes up precious time that could be used on making *whoever* playable ", or something like that. It is not a biased opinion in any way to say having a lot of ALT costumes would be awesome, because I think everyone has at least one character they would love to see as an ALT. If not, that's ok.. I'm just saying.

So, if you have any other reason for ALT costumes to not be in, other than " It takes up space/time that could be used for *something*." OR " It says ONLY Wario on the dojo"..... let me know.

That's all.:)

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
So, if you have any other reason for ALT costumes to not be in, other than " It takes up space/time that could be used for *something*." OR " It says ONLY Wario on the dojo"..... let me know.
it doesn't really matter because Sakurai's already settled for necessity over your personal feelings.

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
it doesn't really matter because Sakurai's already settled for necessity over your personal feelings.
Mhm, you saying he has "settled" is still implying that you think no other ALT costumes are even 1% possible just because of the way Sakurai worded his statement. The sameg oes for the whole Ness ordeal.
Please do not start an arguement over Ness.....

Nano516

Smash Rookie
It is a waste. If it's possible for them to do it, why not do it to everyone. Or at least everyone that has a reasonable alt.

Dr. Mario is the perfect example. A lot of people who mained him in Melee would be hurt to not see him again in Brawl, so to make all of them happy, why not make him an alternate costume? IMO, there is absolutely no reason to not input him in the game for the Dr. Mario lovers. If any of you think there is, give me one.

ALT costumes would make the game more fun, there is not one single downside to them. I know people will disagree and say " It takes up precious time that could be used on making *whoever* playable ", or something like that. It is not a biased opinion in any way to say having a lot of ALT costumes would be awesome, because I think everyone has at least one character they would love to see as an ALT. If not, that's ok.. I'm just saying.

That's all.:)
They also make alt. costumes if 2-4 players picked 1 character

Top Bottom