• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Throws

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice
What has more killpower, Wario's fthrow or his bthrow? I want to know so that I know whether pivot grabbing someone near the ledge or dash grabbing is more likely to kill at high %

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Back throw is honestly probably the worst of Wario's throws, because down throw sends them in the same direction while leaving them in a better position for a potential follow-up due to the lower knockback and launch trajectory, while forward throw does more damage and knockback.

Its best use is probably getting Luma off your back if you're fighting Rosalina.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Forward Throw is your kill throw. Wario is one of the only characters that has a reliable fthrow to kill (The others pit Pit and Dark Pit), which is a pretty notable thing to have. Makes him all the more dangerous near the ledge, especially if he has rage.

I don't really see any reason to use BThrow unless you're in teams or going up against Rosalina, or if you want to throw them off stage and your back is closer to the ledge. It's actually pretty bad and does the least damage.

Dthrow is better overall since it puts you in a pretty good position compared to Bthrow. UThrow is pretty good as well, and 10% is nice.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Bthrow is also great in teams. It can kill at the ledge as well. Otherwise, never use it.

Routa

Smash Lord
I like B-throw. Yeah it ain't as good as F-throw, but it ain't useless. For example I usually B-throw characters like Faptain. Why? It throws him far enough for him to use his jumps. Then I just jump/run off stage and Fair/Waft his recovery option. But when it comes to overall performance it is kinda meh.

D-throw is nice also. D-throw into Bike or Bair is good way to deal damage.

Ikespike

Smash Rookie
NNID
Warui95
F-throw is stronger than B-throw in terms of damage and knockback. But that doesn't mean that B-throw is completely useless. The knockback is high enough to put characters who have poor recoveries in a bad position, because they need to use all of their options to recover successfully. Another use is, that b-throw now hits people who are around Wario, when he is spinning them around. I think, that it could have some uses against Rosalina or when you are playing in team matches.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Forward throw is the most useful option by far. His down throw doesn't combo into anything, and the back throw is just... weak.

Routa

Smash Lord
Forward throw is the most useful option by far. His down throw doesn't combo into anything, and the back throw is just... weak.
Well D-throw combos (or strings) into Bike and Fair/Nair/Bair/Dair (if you D-throw enemy off the plathform or stage).

If you ask me it is F-throw>D-throw>U-throw>B-throw

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Positioning and percentage is important to consider, like most posts above have pointed out.

If you're facing the ledge and you grab your opponent, then F-throw is the go to option. Great kb, sends them far enough at high percents, and lets you wall your opponents options to come back with bike, f-air, etc. Not to mention it KOs at high %

If your back is facing the ledge though, the options are different. If the opponent is at high percent and I just want to toss them far offstage, then B-throw will do the job. Otherwise, D-throw is superior. B-throw sends your opponent farther than D-throw, so at low and mid percents it's better to go for D-throw. Most likely an opponent might be DIing (vectoring?) towards the stage, since they might expecting you to send them offstage with B-throw. D-throw has a fast animation that gives little time for opponents to adjust their DI, and since D-throw doesn't knock them too far, you can continue to chase them with sh B-air or F-air offstage.

Any applications you Warios have found for U-throw? I've found it's pretty great against characters like Yoshi, since Wario's air movement is fast enough to chase after Yoshi via SHs along the ground and read how Yoshi plans to make it back down. Sending Yoshi above you greatly alleviates the threat of his dash attack, his eggs, and a lot of his aerial approaches, the moves you need to bait out being D-air, his Yoshi Bomb, and weaving F-airs / Egg Lays. Tossing Yoshi above me has been my go-to option in that MU now, regardless if I play Wario or Fox.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If the opponent is not easy to edgeguard, I usually save F-Throw until I am sure it will KO. Having a stale F-Throw really neuters the threat of your grab at high percents.

I've been using U-Throw the most lately while considering the dynamic of U-Air vs. N-Air, especially against characters without good options for attacking downward. U-Air is disjointed and beats a lot of stuff when timed well. N-Air does decent damage and knockback with its sweetspot, and if they choose to airdodge through you, you can give chase with the sourspot and put them back above you, potentially comboing off of it depending on percent and how close you are to the ground. It also scares people into not airdodging against you later because they see it as a losing proposition.

D-Throw doesn't seem so useful against most characters; unless you can force them to tech due to a slope or a low platform, I feel that it's often difficult to prevent things from just going back to neutral afterward, and you give the opponent a chance to have all his options back almost immediately, rather than taking away all their ground options via a U-Throw.

B-Throw is the guilt-free "chuck them off to edgeguard" tool, along with F-Throw at low-to-mid percents, and in Teams, spinning an player around with B-Throw into another opponent actually has surprisingly solid knockback, for all it's worth. Not much else to it.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
If you can get the bike on stage, grab it and throw it upwards. Then if your opponent is right next to you, use an up throw to send him into the falling bike.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
Ill agree with reflex here, Uthrow is what i generally tend to go for. A stale fthrow is the last thing you want.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If you can get the bike on stage, grab it and throw it upwards. Then if your opponent is right next to you, use an up throw to send him into the falling bike.
What I like doing is throw set up a bike throw for ledgeguarding. If they get up roll, grab them and dthrow, and you''ll be in a really good position to follow up with a smash attack, especially with the damage from the throw and bike hit so it's an easy, early kill if you can get the smash hit.

Brawl strats yo.

Last edited:

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
Just to add to your post, always "Smash-throw" it upwards, since it will go up higher and therefore force them to stay on the ledge longer. (Smash-throwing is exactly as it sounds, throw it as if you are doing a smash attack)

Top Bottom