• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
What do people do against this guy. I seen plenty of good warios but I don't have much experience fighting them. I played a wario in tournament a couple days ago. First match I 3 stock him on battlefield although I was aided by a suicide. Next two matches he two stocks me on smashville then Final D. What are the general strategies and couterpick stages against this guy.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I dont really think there are many counterpicks against Wario. Id say hes pretty much good on all stages. I guess Frigates good cause his UpB sucks so he has to rely on his bike, which is easier to punish and he cant use it if its onstage. But other than that, IDK. Hes in the air a lot so bananas are pretty usless most of the time. I guess your only hope is to outspace him with tilts and your aerials. When you trip him, make it count cause it doesnt happen that often. Hes a ***** to kill with his weight, drift speed and bike braking so keep your kill moves fresh. Also, go for offstage edgeguards. IF you can hit an offstage Fair, especially outve his bike, hell be hard pressed to make it back.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Your only really good stage to take Wario as Diddy is Luigi's Mansion if it's legal. That's his only really bad stage.

You guys basically need to try to wall us out.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Force him to float where you want him to with banans and peanuts then punish it. I always catch bananas with aerials in this matchup. Also, remember that you don't need to approach wario unless he has a lead, you can camp or approach in this as long as you limit the air well :) It's hard to explain honestly.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the advice. I'll try frigate orpheon and Luigi's Mansion next time. So I'd probably want him to float within the range of my speed and aerials but not so close that he can get above or behind me. I'm also thinking using platforms for protection against his aerial game would be effective. It would force him to come in lower putting him more in range for peanuts/bananas.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Actually I think Warios can do SH aerials even with platforms. Id say it gives Diddy more of a crutch than an advantage. But thats coming from a Diddy who hates BF :ohwell: (apparently it isnt that bad for Diddy)

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
You can grab release spike him off the ledge. You can pretty much follow up with any arieal.

Not saying its going to be easy to grab him though...

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Actually I think Warios can do SH aerials even with platforms. Id say it gives Diddy more of a crutch than an advantage. But thats coming from a Diddy who hates BF :ohwell: (apparently it isnt that bad for Diddy)
He can SH aerials but it puts him more in your range. The problem I was having on Smashville and FD was that he was able to approach easily by attacking from above where his dair out prioritizes any of my attacks. I usually hate BF too but something about it worked for me cause I three stocked him on it.

I'll have to try that grab release thing next time too. Does it work on any other characters? I've messed around with it before but I never took the time to figure out who it actually worked on.

@MaxDeUh: My initial strategy was to punish with peanuts but Wario is able to get above and around them very easily and pretty much all his aerials cancel out the peanuts.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Yeah I see what you mean. Its easier to face a Wario approaching from the front than from above. And I didnt know we could grab release to spike at the ledge (cant they SDI towards the stage and tech?) Cant wait to try this :)

Top Bottom