• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario.... the natural Sonic counter?

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
after a long time denying that Wario was good enough to handle the top tiers ( and an even longer time losing and raging at skilless sonics ) it finally clicked with me. Is wario the sonic counter that we have all been looking for? His bite gets around the cheap spins, and so does the bike. Sonic has so much more of a hard time to wario that they have to change their playstyle.

is it as good as it seems? or too good to be true?

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Err I can accept a close to even MUx but a counter? I don't think that Warios Chomp is enough to stop all of Sonics mixups.

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
Wario is good against Sonic. He is better than the majority of the cast against Sonic.

Is he a counter? Well, probably not. Diddy and Sheik are probably better 'counters' for Sonic than Wario is. Keep in mind a single mistimed chomp can result in a full Spin Dash combo against Wario (up to 32% damage!). If Wario could do any fast damage wracking, he'd be pretty awesome and probably one of the best characters... This problem is very prominent against Sonic as a single hit you do to Sonic will do about 8% while Sonic will do around 20%.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not likely an outright counter but I think they are pretty even in this game. In Brawl, the matchup was considerably in Wario's favor but with some of Wario's nerfs and Sonic's buffs, it's more evened itself out. Chomp still stops Sonic's spin attacks in their tracks but Sonic is no longer a character that struggles to get kills so it's much less of an uphill battle for him now.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
The new and improved Chomp is fantastic against Sonic, but his other moves don't do much. I'd say the matchup is fairly close but with a slight nod in Sonic's favor. In this game, you have to learn to counter play styles instead of relying on raw matchups.

Top Bottom