• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread - Demo 2.5 Edition

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Exactly what it says on the tin. Let's help each other out if we can.

Depending on what kinds of questions we get, I might add popular ones to the OP.

Thinking about making a small guide on how the characters works in general at some point, but, that has little to do with this thread. Ask away!

Zef

Smash Ace
when the heck do i use usmash

i can never ever find a good time to do it, and im not sure on the timing for boost usmash

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You can use it to catch spotdodges and as a decent alternative to U-Tilt for anti-air stuff. It also works alright if an opponent is looking to crouch cancel or shield and unshield quickly. It's not a particularly good move, but at least it sucks people in if you hit with the very edge of it, unlike in 2.1.

Wario's DACUS is pretty difficult to do, but, if you get used to it, you can catch landings with it, as well as go after opponents who DI F-Throw or Bite correctly. It's also not bad to use every now and then just to throw off opponents' spacing and make them uncomfortable in mid-range. You only need to land it once to scare people like that.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If I'm not mistaken, it's pressing Up and an Attack button during the first couple startup frames of a Dash Attack. Wario has a two-frame window to do it.

I had difficulty getting used to Up+R because Brawl didn't register shoulder button presses unless they were all the way down, while PM registers light presses of the shoulder buttons.

Just mess around with it. It'll take a lot of practice. In PM, I can only do it about half the time with Wario on a good day.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
It's kind of hard to explain.. I don't have frame data or anything, but you have to input an upsmash like, immediately to cancel the dash attack. The way I do it is when I start a dash, I hit c-stick down, and immediately hit Z (which I have set to attack, not grab) + up on the analog.

Think of the timing being similar to a wavedash. With enough practice, you'll get the feel for how to time it.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed that nobody has really talked about Bair, so is it useful?
I like it's range and damage but it is a bit slow.
Also, how well does wario hold up against spacies?

:phone:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I've noticed that nobody has really talked about Bair, so is it useful?
I like it's range and damage but it is a bit slow.
Also, how well does wario hold up against spacies?

He wishes it were a more decisive KO move, but it's decently powerful (leading to edgeguards on characters with predictable recoveries) and is useful for spacing, as it causes a good amount of shieldstun. A good thing about 2.5 is that the sourspot hitbox lasts longer than it used to. In 2.0/2.1, it was not very useful for spacing because the hitbox didn't last very long, leaving a lot of space to punish him.

And, I imagine he doesn't hold up well against space animals as long as they go out of their way to camp him, as they have very few holes between attacks and lasers are a pain. Still, there isn't much data on it. He combos them well, at least, and he can mix them up better than many slow-moving characters.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
In most situations would you decide to go for a fair instead if you had a choice?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Really depends on the situation. Rising F-Air is safe, but if I'm running off a platform or can commit to a fullhop, using a landing B-Air is rather good.

His moveset allows for a very dynamic playstyle. You have to find the right times to use everything.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
Okay, thank you. I've noticed that Wario has a lot of options which make him really fun to play.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Whats that whole A+B wario move ive been hearing about?
How is it done, when can it be done, whats the application?

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
Is there ever a use for Wario's dash grab? Or should it just always be a JC grab.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It scares people. Looks about the same as his Forward-B, which people would want to shield. When mixed up, it's pretty threatening at ranges where a jump-canceled grab wouldn't be too quick for opponents to react to. I'm not very good at it, admittedly, but I see other players do it as Wario and the benefits are pretty obvious after you see it in action.

Oracle

Smash Master
Its only good if your opponent sits in shield a lot. IMO its kind of bad because spotdodge/roll in avoids the mixup entirely but it has a handful of uses.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
In my experience, it's as 1 w1nged @ngel says. That it's only good if your opponent shield camps (lol). But if they often react out of shield on instinct, you'll more often just get hit out of it.

The thing with the dash grab is that it's really only super useful as a mindgame at its furthest length, any shorter, and the amount of time that passes as Wario charges is too short for the majority of players to react to it and shield. Theoretically, it should work well because the proper reaction to the Shoulder Charge is to shield, it's safe and it's easy to punish Wario after doing so. The dash grab plays on that relationship, but it seems to really only work against players who don't play on auto-pilot, which happens to be most players.

Perhaps playing in "tournament mode" may make a difference in the usefulness of the dash grab, but in friendlies I think it is much weaker just due to the nature of players to pay less attention when there's nothing on the line.

4% APR

Smash Champion
your avatar really really reminds me of vudujin.

I was really excited for the dash grab change, but i still dont find myself actually using it very often :(

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
His jump-canceled grab is quite good as it is, yeah. Why bother mixing up when you can just take what you want?

Revven

FrankerZ
I think the dash grab is neat, it gives you incentive to use the dash grab rather than always using his jump cancel grab. Granted it'll depend on the opponent's behavior, but if you can take advantage of them in that way then it's worth it. Especially since Wario's throws are tons better than they once were, haha.

Altering the distance is really cool, even if the longest distance is the most useful, it doesn't hurt to have the option to have a shorter dash grab (though I guess in that sense you'd be better off going for a jump cancel grab anyway).

At least in the few matches I've used it, I've found using Side B a little more than I used to helps get the player to shield more so the mix-up winds up working more than it should.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Reflex, I don't know if you can/want to answer this since your PMBR but what would your opinion be on giving Wario his old side-B (Bike) as a replacement (or like they did with Ness, an add-on) to his side-taunt? Making it a taunt would fix the recovery aspect of it and it just feels like a shame to throw away that entire 'move'. If the wheel objects are a problem they could either stop them from spawning or make the bike indestructible. Although giving Wario a (very limited) item game probably wouldn't be a problem anyhow. It's literally the only thing that I miss compared to his Brawl counterpart.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
i'm not sure if this is true, but So far i've seen that Luigi can CG wario till about 33% ( that's the max he's done it to me before i escaped ). Not sure if it was my bad DI or anything though, can someone confirm this?

Wario's Dsmash gimp on fox/falco, can it work on other characters when trying to recover with upB?

Also, is their anyway to quickly break the downward momentum you get when u Dair?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I don't know any hard-and-fast percents, but your best bet for escaping would be to DI so that you bounce straight up so you maximize the distance you fly away vertically.

Since the ledge sweetspot is noticeably larger in this game compared to Melee, pretty much any character can avoid it with proper spacing. I would recommend taking a proactive approach and attempting to N-Air/D-Air if you can.

Other than hitting a platform (and you can edge-cancel the move, actually) or opponent, no.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Darn, welps when he started the cg.. I tried To DI up. And I even tried using the cstick as well I can't escape till after 33% or miss timed it.

I love to Dair ( when it hits ) it's so satisfying, never tried to nair hmmm..... Smt new :)

Thank you for the quick response.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I haven't watched much of others, but of what I've seen, there's too much Side-B going on.
I've personally made a significant amount more use of the mobility/hilarity of the Side-B > CC than the direct Side-B. Is this common? Even in close proximity, I just Side-B and CC it immediately, giving interesting room and mobility, or position cross-ups or pokes, etc. I find the full Side-B too predictable, so never bother using it myself. It still has a gimmicky flavor to some extent for me, and is of course useful and good, but I've seen it too much from others than any amount I would recommend.

I've been a victim of the Side-B > Shield > It's a TRICK! > Get Grabbed.
So that Dash Grab thing has its purpose. Otherwise, his normal Grab is extremely solid and functional.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Guys, I've just noticed that the closer u are to the opponent the less knock-back side B does.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
That's because Forward-B gets stronger the more distance you travel. The same thing happens when you charge a Smash.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
. . . I didn't read it. :[

Just took a peak at it though. Loads of information that's really useful. I'll be looking at it more often.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
It is 2.6 now but this this is the best thread I found to ask this. I played a bunch of Wario last night and this character is so fun I decided to main him at least for now. I never was serious about a character that had to DACUS so I was wondering the best method to go about that. Also how tight is Warios?

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Play with it a lot and find out for yourself. Tight/less tight can be easier/more/less comfortable for people, so it doesn't really matter. Just do it a bunch. Method, you mean button pressing, or when to use it?
I usually Dash + A > Up-C-Stick + Z... something like that.
There's tutorials on it and stuff, but application of it > mechanics of it.
The move is tight. ;)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you don't use R, set R to Attack, reset the controller (X/Y/Start) with the button held halfway down (just before the "click"), and then use that to DACUS. I find it way easier.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I use both L and R. R for wavedashing and Shielding. L for L canceling and I use both for techs, depending on which ever finger wants to tech but I like R more for it. I will have to learn the standard method, which is really unnatural for me but we shall see how it goes.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
I hear a lot of people talking about how good Wario's jab is. I want to start using it more, but can people give me more insight on why it is regarded as good? The only thing i could see is it pops up well for combos and might have a bigger hit box than other jabs.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's incredibly slow for a Jab, but Jab1 has great frame advantage on hit that gets better if the opponent is at a higher percent. At low percents, Jab -> Grab and Jab -> D-Tilt are common. At higher percents, you can do things like Jab -> F-Smash or Jab -> Waft if it isn't hardcore SDI'd, on top of the previous stuff.

Top Bottom