• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Want to know when a certain pokemon will appear? (Research:059%; New behavioral info)

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
Bet you didn't think I'd post on this thread again, did you (All 4 of you who actually reading this)? I've been doing some stuff and I only recently got around to doing more test. Two of them since I last posted, but their both a bit short. That's all I needed to say, but I feel like ranting about the test I just finished, so feel free to leave now if you want.

Okay, so the main purpose of my latest test was to see wheiter or not you stayed in the opponent's body after the 15 seconds elapsed since the HS initiated, provided that the opponent you HS'ed with lost their last stock during the HS and the two of you are not the only brawlers left. I had set the handicap of the CPUs to 150% and I wasn't expecting I actually get a chance to see if I was right. Just as C2 was on stock #75/75, Manaphy appeared. I tried to get into position so that I would be affected, and it would have work, but C3, as usual, screwed everything up and got in the area of influence at the last second, swiping it from under my nose. I proceded to try and KO C2 regardless since it was already at 180%+ damage. C3 though, annoying as ever, kept bombarding me pokeballs and wimpy attacks so that I couldn't reach C2. Finally, I had grabbed and thrown C2 but just as I had let go of her, the HS ended and they switched back. God **** Murphy's Law... Other than that, it was a pretty ordinary match.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
Testing over half-way done!

test number 25 was just finished and... you know what? I saw a bunch of pokemon. Nothing out of the blue (except for Manaphy, who is ALWAYS out off the blue) happened, has some good luck and some bad, but yeah, no surprises.

I have to wonder: does anyone here still care at all about this? I mean I have two pages made up of pretty much all my posts and that was over the course of a month. Nobody has any requests, words of incouragement, or suggestions? That's okay. I know I'm being a bit of a whiner here (sorry for it, btw), but does anyone here really care about this study's completion now that most of you probably have all the unlockable CDs, trophies, and stickers?
God, I am pathetic...

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
Another test finished, more behavioral stuff found

Test number 26 was recently completed, adding 400 more pokeballs worth of data to the effort. That puts the total amount of opened pokeballs within my log to 11,590 (11,810 if you include the data from test number 9 1/2).

I saw 6 manaphies, 1 mew, and 4 celebis. Also had a noteworthy number of legendary chains, the longest being about 5 legendary pokemon.

Now, for the somewhat relevant information that you might actually use:

It turns out if you KO someone on their last stock while you two are heart swapped, you'll remained their character for the rest of the match. That's right, extended HS's are now CONFIRMED FOR BRAWL.

This next tibit most likely won't help you out unless you are recording pokeball data like me, but it's semi-interesting nonetheless. If you forget if it was latias or latios that appeared from a pokeball, the way you can tell which one it was is to remember that the one that appeared from the pokeball will excute the last attack before the two stop using steel wing.

You probably already knew this one, but if you throw a pokeball downwards (not drop, throw) while falling by an edge and someone else is on the edge and pokeball lands, the pokeball that comes out of it will have the same momenteum as the pokeball itself. For example, if you do this and the pokeball you threw contained a snorlax, it would fall off the screen before it got a chance to jump. I'm not sure if the same applies to levitating pokemon since such a pokemon has not popped out of a pokeball this way yet for me.

I'm also going to look into how togepi chooses which move it will use and how latias/latios choose where to intersect and what angle/speed they will attack at. I'll keep you posted.

Btw... if all of you could disregard my previous post, I'd appreciate it. K, thanks.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
I got a Manaphy before Celebi, Mew or Jirachi appeared in the match. Celebi did appear later though (I put Pokeballs on high and just threw them around)

d0c926

Smash Journeyman
I just read bout 10 of ur post, good read by the way also if anybody hasn't said thanks, then i will be the first cuz that have to be time consuming and lot effort to keep to doing this. Great job

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
Observations from test #27

I decided to do a second test tonight and focused a lot on latias and latios this round. That added 545 more pokeballs to the mix, which puts us at 12,355 pokeballs worth of data. Most of what I'm about to post may be common knowledge, but I'll post it anyway for those who don't know.

It does not matter where latias or latios are spawned. The angle and area they attack is based of the position of one of the opponents, but the two prefer to try and attack as many opponents as possible with a single hit. i think the time they stick around is at least somewhat dependant on how effective their attacks are (i.e. accuracy, KOs, etc.), with a less effective chain of attacks lasting longer (I'm probably wrong about this part, but feel free to check it out anyway).

If a gulpin spawns by you, a well-timed sidestep may save you from becoming its chewing gum for about 2.5 seconds. Do not try it with a rolling dodge, though.

The game doesn't like to give out many reward or very rare pokemon in a single day, so if your planning on doing a pokeball match marathon, be ready to change your Wii's internal clock and make them long matches.

That's all you get for free! I'll see if I have time tomorrow to do another one.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
Test #28 done

Ok, so I did another test before I have to take off so it was a quick one that adds 270 more PBs to the the pile. So many lugias appeared and not a single electrode had a delayed explosion. Jirachi appeared once and dropped 8 stickers as per usual, as well as a single appearance by manaphy, but everyone was so out of range that even though the Heart Swap Wave hit C2 and just barely missed me, it failed. Let's see, what can I tell you about pokeballs that you might not of already known this time...

An electrode will always explode on player impact, even if it is in its "delayed" state (you know, when it frowns), and it cannot be reciprocated fast enough, so just shield or sidestep when someone chucks one at you.

...Sorry, that's all I can say for certain right now. If I was a bit more skilled as a smasher, maybe I coud test out some ideas I have about brawl's pokemon, but as it stands I'm not really all that good.

I also would like to make an announcement and a request. My request is that since I know the game has been hack that if anyone knows the hexadecimal values for the different pokemon that they would show me the list, as it would immeasurably help me to draw patterns and find relationships between pokemon spawns, since there's no way they were added alphabetically as I have organized them. My announcment is that when I am finished with pokeball research, compliation, and analysis, I will either start reseaching item spawn locations and frequencies on a single stage or assist trophy research identical to the pokeball study I am doing right now. Which would you rather prefer (no, I'm not saying either of them will be either stable or able to predict the exact outcome of a scenario, but they would be good first steps)?

EDIT: I guess item spawn locations have already been look into by FishkeeperTimmay!, so I guess after pokeballs my next topic of research will be assist trophies. That is, unless any of you would like me to look into something else.

Starwarrior27

Smash Apprentice
One time my friends and I were playing an all pokeball match with items on very high. We fought at a costum stage, and about halfway through the match only munchlaxes came out of the pokeballs. We had up to four on the stage at the same time.

One thing I noticed was that every three pokemon or so, a pokemon besides munchlax would come out, but still only muchlaxes were mainly on the field. We decided to reflect it too (with Fox's reflector), and that made a pokemon besides muchlax come out. When we stopped reflecting it the munchlaxes kept coming. This event happened for a long time, about 10 minutes.

We all thought that it was pretty weird. I hope this helps your research.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Wow. O_O props for figuring that much out

Drater

Smash Rookie
Just some info...My friend and I got a Celebi on Co-op event #5 (The big number of Yoshi's to be killed on Rainbow Cruise). No trophies were dropped though.

GraveNeedle

Smash Cadet
New York. I really need to train. ;_; AIM: Toonika
I can't offer much help, but I just wanted to say PLEASE keep going! I find it fascinating that Pokemon don't appear randomly...Er, very randomly, anyway.

Oh, and to answer your question, the plural of any Pokemon is always it's name. "Two Manaphy came out in a row," would be an example. I'm surprised nobody's told you that yet. :lick:

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
I guess you did just help me! Anyway, just as sort of an announcement, it's sort of hyper crunch time for me right now as far as school goes, but I'll still be doing tests as often as possible. If you don't hear from me in a month, send Link. Youtube poop references aside, I just thought I'd let you all know.

Btw, is it just me, or is the front page here kind of... dull? I was thinking that if anyone wanted to make a banner or signature for this, it'd be great. I'd do it myself, but I suck with photoshop and as mentioned previously, am pretty low on time. Just saying.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
Did test #29 hours ago, been playing wi-fi

Anyway, I'm tired tonight so I'm just gonna post the notes I took during the test and maybe present them in a more organized fashion tomorrow. Maybe.

Mario's Meowth at left center firing right, Peach at right/right-center, Mario meteor smashes to the left about 80% of his height above the center/left-center of the platform, -> Peach gets hit behind Mario, immediately falls to platform, and gets hit back in front of Mario.

Apparently, as far as gardevoir's Reflect goes, piplup is a projectile. Go figure.

Even if you are in your own gardevoir's reflect field, you'll still have your projectile flung back at you if you ae in another player's gardevoir's reflect.

1st groudon appeared when down thrown at 150% about to be ganged up on by both CPUs at low damages.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
it's all random you idiots
...Nobody feed the troll, please.

@smallmalf: Do you have anything to support your claim that pokemons spawns are completely arbitrary? I never said there was a definite pattern to pokeballs, but then again, I never said they were totally random. We won't know for sure until it is thoroughly tested, which I am doing. Please refrain from making claims you can't back up.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I have gotten Manaphy without getting Mew, Celebi, or Jirachi.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
@hippochinfat!!:
If you really want to help and you have some free time on your hands, you could do a test for me (the download for the proper format and the instructions are on the 4th post in this thread. If you don't feel like it, that's okay. You can share pokeball-related information here, just make sure it isn't now-common knowledge (i.e. getting Manaphy before a reward pokemon.

@ ---:
You didn't read the first post all that thoroughly, did you?

Vro

Smash Lord
It's interesting, especially cycles and the terms you've created thru your research. Altho I don't play with items on, I appreciate all the work and statistical integrity.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
As I appreciate your support! Just so everyone knows, I'm sorta busy as of late, so I probably won't be doing many tests for a while. I'll still take them in, though, so if any of you have any in the proper format (check page one, post four of this thread) and I'll add it to the collection.

Top Bottom