• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Want to know how to write a story?

Zabutur

Smash Apprentice
I sure did back in the day. Yes, I know I've mentioned it about 5 zillion times in my 123 or so posts, but please bear with me. please?
I actually plan on getting this series published in the near future, once I get enough money stored away. (I figured sometime between 2012-2014) let me tell you how it all began...
Like any writer, it began with an idea. However, I ended up having lots of ideas, many of which focusd around a central subject. one of my siblings told me these exact words:
"Why don't you write a bok about them?"
those words changed my life.
I decided to put them down on paper (computer) in 2001, where my story was originally going to be a 1-part series (serie?) about some things that I now shun and deem quite stupid. that was in 2002. I was 11 years old. (that's where I made the name 'Zabutur')
however, beginning in 2005, one October day in my 1st period Biology class, I happened to screw up an assignment( I wrote like 3 words down and leanred i didn't need it). so, instead of throwing it away, I wrote my thoughts of my story, which had since then evolved into something more fantastical. (fantasy-related).
it didn't have a beginning, it just kind of jumped right in there. I wrote 64 pages, both sides (32 sheets of paper) by the end of that semester, but since i couldn't thin of a decent idea for a beginning, I started over.
It began in 2006. I started again from scratch, but I remembered many of the characters, places, and events from the 64-page scrap. (remember that name, because that is what I'm going to call it from here on out)
This time, the stroy focused on a little girl named Tera, who the reader gets to witness grow up from a small, innocent but not carefree age of 7 to the mature terror-filled warfaring age of 21. (her 21st year was mature, terror-filled and warfaring, not the age itself) during those years, she meets all sorts of different characters, and learns a lot about herself, including legends made about a person that fit her description almost to the exactitity. (dunno if that's a word)
*********PAUSE**********
I know what some people are thinking right now:
"Tera253" this whole thing is a scam, a bunch of crap.
that is untrue.
my sister Tera comes into play in a way you'd never imagine.
that name however, did not originate from my sister.
come to think of it, I do not recall where it originated, and this Tera character has no resemblance to the Tera who has the same name.
********UNPAUSE*********
Various events from my 2001 story were also incorporated into the story I decided to write, including the name Zabutur (yes, my username Zabutur originates from the character from my story) and a character named Zak. Zak is so significnat because every time I've changed my storyline since 2001 (there are about 7 renditions, the last of which is the oine i took off with) he has always been in there, with the same type of personality and basic appearance. well, sort of.
Anyways, the book, which I later titled "The Princess of Koldia" has since been refurnished many a many a time. more and more ideas kept coming, and soon it got to the point where I was like: this has to stop.
However, a nagging voice in my head said: "these ideas are good, but you're out of room.
What do people do when their storage units are full? they get more storage! well, in America at least they do.
so, it was then and there (about mid-2006, after I had finished the basic coneptof my story; school had let out) the I decided to make not a sequel, but a prequel. I figured I could write it during my upcoming Junior year, similar to the way I had done with "The Princess of Koldia" and my Scrap. many times in the book I had referenced a story called: "The Koldian and the Queen", but had never gone into detail about what the story contained.
However, there was a turning point: I couln't think of what happned before the events in TPOK (The Princess of Koldia). Therefore, I decided to plan on a prequel, but to write a sequel in the meantime.
after the fall semester ended, I had the finished draft of what i thought was book 3 in my hands. It was then, after ideas for TKTQ (The Koldian the the Queen) and a few, that I decided to make TPOK become book 3 and this one become book 4. much later into the spring semester of my Junior year (2007) I decided on naming my 4th title: "The Secret of the Koldians (TSTK for easier reference).
Needless to say, I was obviously writing a sereis, and this was no longer a yipee fun-and-games let's-write-an-adventure-stroy kind of project. this was a project that was exponentially more about fantasy.
I love fantasy. you might call it one of my passions. I can write various pieces of fantasy, but this particular series, dubbed "The Crest of Zabutur" (hence the reason TCOZ is my future user name for Super Smash Bros. Brawl) was capable of giving me ideas to finish a book--a whole series in fact.
"The Princess of Koldia, when complete (I have 3 short biographies left to write) will have about 150 pages. 148-149 to be exact. to find out how many pages tha was in an average book, say Harry Potter for example, I actually took the time to copy a page of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" word for word onto a page of Microsoft word.
that page only took up 2/3 of a MSWord page. that meant that my book was indeed longer than 150 pages. 150 x 3/2 (divided by 2/3) is 225, so over 200 pages suited me well.
That of course, was not counting the title page or table of contents, but it did include extra details in the bak of the book.
Since TPOK is virtually out of the way, I am now trying to finish up my next book. "The Secret of the Koldians", being the 4th part of "The Crest of Zabutur".
During Spring Semester of my Junior year (this school year that just ended), I began writing the much-anticipated-by-me prequel, "The Koldian and the Queen". now, the school year has ended, but, just like I failed to reach my goal of finishing typing up book 4 by May 31, I failed to finish writing the book, owing to slow times and writer's blocks.
HOwever, the series is not dead. this summer I have nearly finishe it, and plan to go on for part 5, "The Glory Days of Koldianism" (TGDK) next.
I might even have a part 6, 7, 8, and/or so on, some of which might even get written before part 1 (Koldai's Days of Downfall) does.
Needless to say, I have put some considerable time into this. trust me, would you call 6 years considerable time?
By now I'm pretty sure you're wondering "What the ____ is Koldian, Koldia, Zabutur, etc.?
the "The Crest of Zabutur" series has over 91 characters, and 44 places and tribes. As a result, (because of possessives and plurals) my MSWord didctionary has over 250 words in it. some names are simple ones based off of real people's names (not real peoples--eh, I'll cover that later) others far more complex... like this post.
What is a Koldian? You'll have to read the book and find out. I might be able to hook you up with some info. don't worry, I won't CHARGE you or anything...
I don't know what possessed me to write all this, but it sure feels good to get it off my shoulders. Thanks for Hearing me out.
If you ever need pointers or help writing what you think might be an awesome story, even if you don't get it published, you should let me in on the scoop. I might be able to help. I've helped 3 people already in the past 6 months. Don't worry, if I think your story sucks, you'll never know if I did. I take a neutral-to-good approach on things. (I'm the type of person who leaves positive reviews on 75% of what he sees. 5% at max get negative reviews, the other 20% I just walk away from for give neutral reviews to)
That aside, thanks again for hearing me out. If threads like these are not allowed...
Mods, you know what to do.

~|Zabutur|~

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I'm going into grade 10...and back n grade 7 me and my friend starting writing a book over the computer and it was massive.
It had three protagonists, an archer, a swordsman, and a guy with those things that Raph from TMNT has.
Basically, the story line was, they had to go to different towns and places and shrines to find these 7 elemental stones before the Antagonist got them. The antagonist knew the power that came from these stones, but the hero's were less informed until one day the archer accidentally "fused" his arrows with the fire stone she had retrieved.
My computer has been wiped SO many times since then so I don't have my story...but maybe my friend does..

Blackadder

Smash Master
Wrong room.
I'm probably completly mad and/or banned to ask this to a mod such as yourself King, but how is this the wrong room...?
(sorry, but this seems like the right room..)

Anyways, on subject, it's nice of you to try and help out other writers.
Just make sure you keep up writing yourself! :D

Top Bottom