• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wanna try Yoshi

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Where should I start and what should I do for practicing? I've read the longer guides for Yoshi, the newest one and the survival guide, but what should I do for practicing?

Video-wise, who should I follow or watch?

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
I just got of trying Peach. Is there anything really difficult I should start getting down?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
His shield is very different. Get used to the different options out of shield, and his grab is different too as well.

He has some combos, so I'd familiarize myself with them. U-tilt to uair seems consistent. He might also have shenanigans with fair/dair. I don't know too much about the character yet, but once I've tested him more thoroughly, I can definitely share my findings here in more depth.

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
FIrst thing I would do is just play with the character.
Focus on all aerials. Nair come out really fast, bair cover a wide range, forward air spike and is a good approach, upair kills
After that focus on egg play. Learn to shoot them in the right direction, after that, try to short hop throw eggs. After that, try to shoot egg while moving all the time.
Learn the kills moves (down B, fair upair and smashes)
Learn to mix up your approach with neutral B
Learn to go deep with yoshi, his recovery is good enough that you should pursue most character in the air or spam them with eggs to edgeguard.

After all that, incorporate smash moves and you should be good ;)

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
So I'm noticing that a lot Yoshi's aerials work like Peach's Fair, but with less landing lag. Specifically, Yoshi auto cancels his Short Hops aerials if you start the move with the beginning of the jump. Should I be committing those to muscle memory, or will I be approaching mostly with eggs and they'll come to me?

So Yoshi is like Shulk with the Jump Monado on? He's a hidden ledge guarding beast?

It's nice to meet a character that doesn't require hours of practice and speed changes in training mode like Peach.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I would argue that Yoshi plays a little like Fox with quick smash attacks, tilts, and aerials. The only major difference is that he has better edgeguarding tools and worse out of shield options.

Arbitation

Smash Rookie
Much worse grab game compared to fox, however.

I like to keep my uair relatively fresh for KO percents. Between nair, bair and fair I don't have too much trouble racking them up to 80+.

Still trying to work out his tilts. Anyone know of good uses for his ftilt or dtilt?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Dtilt is a good poke, especially at the ledge, when you've got them hanging or even just cornered.

Ftilt is... iunno. I've never liked ftilt that much, I think Yoshi's got better options that fill the role ftilt would fill. But someone please correct me.

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
I think I'm an intermediate Yoshi now. What do to learn b reversal? I also have a problem with killing. I usually get kills from some combo to Uair, any advice on how to do kill better? I remember reading the survival guide about A>Usmash or A>DownB. Anything else I should be aware of?

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Dair and Fair gimps, neutral B gimps, force air-dodges with eggs and punish with Uair.

B-reversal is easy. If you turn around and neutral B but don't alter momentum, you are pressing the directional before the B-input. If you egg-roll, you are pressing the directional too quickly after the B-input. It's not a super fast input, just a somewhat precise one.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
As far as killing goes, my best advice is to remain patient. Don't get antsy for the kill, just keep doing what you're doing and trap them into a kill move. Especially with how airdodging into the ground works in this game, we can score some nice kills off of baiting/trapping air dodges now.

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Dair and Fair gimps, neutral B gimps, force air-dodges with eggs and punish with Uair.

B-reversal is easy. If you turn around and neutral B but don't alter momentum, you are pressing the directional before the B-input. If you egg-roll, you are pressing the directional too quickly after the B-input. It's not a super fast input, just a somewhat precise one.
What exactly is b reversal though? Inputs and why to do it?

Last edited:

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
B-reversal is simply reversing your aerial momentum with your B-moves. It's a mix-up, a mind-game and a spacing tool all in one. Almost every character can do it, but it's negligible on many. With characters like Yoshi, Marth, Lucario and Greninja, it's more drastic. Yoshi has probably the best B-reverse in the game, though, because the momentum shift is so drastic and his neutral B is so good.

While moving in a direction in the air, you press B and then mash the opposite direction just delayed enough that you don't initiate a side-B.

Last edited:
Top Bottom