• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Waluigi - Everyone Else Cheated! (Assist Trophy Confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
No, same thing does not apply to Wario and Waluigi.
Luigi started off as a palette swap. Waluigi didn't.

Wario is also not a villain; he's an anti-hero. He started as a villain, then branched off on his own. In Brawl, he represents what he has become rather than his origin. This is why he's wearing his biker clothes by default and has a zany style that could only be linked to WarioWare, something Waluigi can't logicially replicate since he's never been in a WarioWare game.

With that in mind, Luigi vs. Wario in a Waluigi color scheme is not even close to Luigi vs. Waluigi. It's just Luigi vs. an acrobatic fatass that bites people, rides motorcycles and farts while sporting the color scheme of Waluigi.
And Luigi vs Luigi with Waluigi color scheme is basically just Luigi fighting himself except the other Luigi is cosplaying and has the same moveset, stop hitting yourself Luigi.

D

Deleted member

I'm guessing this is excluding the SSE. Unless kidnapping women and children counts as anti-hero behaviour now.
Actually, yes. In a strange sort of way.

Wario wasn't a villain persay; he was merely a Hired Gun. And even then, he just did whatever the Hell he felt like.
He picked at Peach/Zelda as well as Ness and Lucas because they were (to him) easy targets. He hunted down Lucas because he was "the one that got away". He attacked Dedede because Dedede stole his bounty. Then he sided with the good guys when he saw he wasn't getting paid anytime soon (speculation on my part; based on the fact he stopped antagonizing Dedede, Luigi, and Ness when he saw Master Hand and allied himself with them instead).

It's in tune with Wario's nature; he's on the side of whoever's going to pay him, and quickly turns against them if it doesn't work out for him.

TeamFlareZakk

Actually, yes. In a strange sort of way.

Wario wasn't a villain persay; he was merely a Hired Gun. And even then, he just did whatever the Hell he felt like.
He picked at Peach/Zelda as well as Ness and Lucas because they were (to him) easy targets. He hunted down Lucas because he was "the one that got away". He attacked Dedede because Dedede stole his bounty. Then he sided with the good guys when he saw he wasn't getting paid anytime soon (speculation on my part; based on the fact he stopped antagonizing Dedede, Luigi, and Ness when he saw Master Hand and allied himself with them instead).

It's in tune with Wario's nature; he's on the side of whoever's going to pay him, and quickly turns against them if it doesn't work out for him.
So did Ganondorf, and is Ganondorf The King of Evil a good guy?

D

Deleted member

And Luigi vs Luigi with Waluigi color scheme is basically just Luigi fighting himself except the other Luigi is cosplaying and has the same moveset, stop hitting yourself Luigi.
Precisely my point; a Waluigi-colored Wario would be no better than that, so to argue in favor of it for some superfluous reasoning that Wario "feels more like" Waluigi is moot.

So did Ganondorf, and is Ganondorf The King of Evil a good guy?
Not the same case. At all.

Wario is neither hero nor villain; he's Anti-Hero.
Ganondorf is full villain.

Ganondorf had ulterior motives and planned to usurp power from Master Hand. When he saw that Tabuu already beat him to the punch and manipulated him to do his bidding, he wanted revenge.
He joined the heroes because of a Enemy Mine moment; he couldn't take on Tabuu on his own, and they would need all the help they could get if they wanted to stand a chance. Even if it meant having the murderous, backstabbing warlock fighting alongside them.

Last edited by a moderator:

TeamFlareZakk

Not the same case. At all.

Wario is neither hero nor villain; he's Anti-Hero.
Ganondorf is full villain.

Ganondorf had ulterior motives and planned to usurp power from Master Hand. When he saw that Tabuu already beat him to the punch and manipulated him to do his bidding, he wanted revenge.
He joined the heroes because of a Enemy Mine moment; he couldn't take on Tabuu on his own, and they would need all the help they could get if they wanted to stand a chance. Even if it meant having the murderous, backstabbing warlock fighting alongside them.
Ok then what about Bowser?

I've seen Bowser be good Bowser sometimes, but overall Bowser is a bad guy.

D

Deleted member

Ok then what about Bowser?

I've seen Bowser be good Bowser sometimes, but overall Bowser is a bad guy.
Bowser is a mixed case.

He's more of an Anti-Villain; he does bad things, but he isn't really all that bad himself. That isn't to say he isn't evil; but he's more or less evil because it's all part of his "job", so to speak.
This is reflected in the SSE; Bowser was loyal to Master Hand, and followed orders out of respect.
When Dedede (literally) knocked some sense into Bowser to show him that Master Hand had been (presumably) killed, he willingly joined the heroes to avenge him.

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
Well it appears that my favorite Nintendo character will at best remain an assist trophy, i don't see a 6th Mario character as a very likely scenario personally, and even if there is one he has some stiff competition in the form of bowser jr.

TeamFlareZakk

Well it appears that my favorite Nintendo character will at best remain an assist trophy, i don't see a 6th Mario character as a very likely scenario personally, and even if there is one he has some stiff competition in the form of bowser jr.
This is totally true.

I'd be surprised if they did added a 6th Mario character at all.

WALUIGIOFFICIAL WAA

Smash Apprentice
26 Grimace Lane, Mushroom Kingdom, IMG EEK
I' enjoying this analysis of Nintendo villainy. Shows that they're not all cookie-cutter bad guys. They actually have some depth.
The thing about a lot of Nintendo characters is that plenty of them have something that lies behind the mascot face. Something that requires you to think for a slight moment about the character and his personality and reasons, such as Wario, Bowser and Ganondorf, as Golden discussed above. The Subspace Emissary was a great moment to demonstrate the characters of Nintendoverse acting in a different adventure than the one they are used to.

Actually it's true, Mario and Luigi are pretty much the same thing except with a few slight differences, in Super Mario World, Luigi was basically Mario with a green palette swap and even Peach calls him Mario when he saves her at the end of the game.

The same thing applies with Wario and Waluigi because in Mario Tennis, Waluigi was created to be Wario's partner to battle Mario and Luigi.

Waluigi doesn't necessarily have the history in Nintendo to help him get a spot on the roster, so therefore we should probably support Wario getting a Waluigi color scheme.

I think Wario and Waluigi are very much the same thing enough for Wario to have a Waluigi color scheme
Luigi, in his first appearence, was, literally, a Green Mario. He only started to have a personality beyond that in the games with Luigi´s Mansion, even though it did start in the Super Mario Adventures comic and the tv show, but those are outer sources.

Waluigi, according to interviews, was created to be Wario´s partner AND Luigi´s enemy. Not every Waluigi game has Waluigi doing partnership with Wario ( altough those are some really memorable scenes ). Nowadays he seems to have taken the role of "black sheep" or "dastardly oddball" of the Mario crew, according to descriptions. In his first appearence, Waluigi was, in-game, caracterized by his spooky frame that contrasted Wario´s, arrogance, narcissism, hatred for the Mario brothers and his sore loser spirit. Okay. Those characteristics are possessed by Wario, but it is still more personality than Luigi had during 16 years.

I could go on and and write paragraphs about the changes in Waluigi´s personality, but I´m going to read ( badly) translated parts of Waluigi´s bio in the Japanese Mario Tennis website that already show the character´s personality right from the beginning.
"Most of the Mario cast remains consistently positive, but Waluigi seems to lack such an attitude". "his unhappy life leads him to think he is too cool for everyone´s kindness", "believes that, until he gathers the power to defeat the Mario brothers, he will continue to be frustrated", "jealous of being left behind" and "wants to be famous and beloved like the brothers". This is not made up. I translated it.

Phantomjack24

Smash Rookie
Accccckkkk I sense all this negative feelings... Never give up hope my friends I'm sure waluigi will show up. And the notion that there can only be so many characters from one franchise never made sense to me. Plus sakurai is full of many great surprises indeed.

TeamFlareZakk

Waluigi 4.png

Hahaha, Sakurai will never know the difference, I'ma Wario, I'ma gonna win!

TeamFlareZakk

I know, Waluigi is The High Emperor mentioned in Golden Sun Dark Dawn and Alex is trying to defeat him, after all Waluigi was created by Camelot.

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
Waa, what does this thread do on the fourth page? This is a disgrace.

By the way, since I as a Game Engineer got pretty mad at how much money this Flappy Bird **** makes, I decided to create my own game but featuring Waluigi (obviously not for sell but to share with friends). The game itself is in german, but the language-barrier is quite low.
This is to show my support for Waluigi in SmashBros4.

The plot:
Waluigi prepares himself to join the Smash-Series with its fourth installment, but he is scared as another purple character seems to take his spot away: Ridley.
Angered about this, as he claims that some stupid space-dragon could never be as cool, strong and purple as Waluigi, he decided to infiltrate Smash Bros but disguised as a fake Ridley, kicking the real one out and finally make his offical debut. (I'm myself not against Ridley inclusion btw)

Waluigi has to fly to the Smash Continent, going through many obstacles which try to kill him.
On his way, he can :
-collect coins and "Powered by X tickets" to rise Popularity-Points,
-collect Nintendo-Directs which give Waluigi a massiv boost and make him almost invisible for 3,5 seconds, but take care of "Fake-Directs" , which will damage Waluigi.
-collect Patrick, which may push something somewhere else. But pay attention, this will not always help you.
-collect Bifis, which will make Waluigi survive one extra damage.
-collect Fuzzys, which will ask him if he believes in Magic...

Downloadlink: http://www.mediafire.com/download/w7ygb0iz0slwdwl/Build.zip
(updated to Version5)

Pictures:

Last edited:

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
It's made with Unity 3D, no ROM hack or anything like that.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Waluigi is in my top 4 most wanted. I love that guy, but he never gets anything from Nintendo. D: He's not even been a bad guy in a Luigi's Mansion.

Waah for Smash 4!

Smady

Smash Master
One thing easily overlooked about yesterday's Direct is Waluigi was confirmed for the new Mario Kart! And Little Mac paved the way for an trophy turned assist trophy turned character to be a playable character. The internet would probably explode if Waluigi was confirmed for Smash, lets see it happen.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
One thing easily overlooked about yesterday's Direct is Waluigi was confirmed for the new Mario Kart! And Little Mac paved the way for an trophy turned assist trophy turned character to be a playable character. The internet would probably explode if Waluigi was confirmed for Smash, lets see it happen.
Actually, Waluigi was confirmed for Mario Kart at E3. ^^

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Ha, my mistake. Still love that our boy is being shown off in a new game.
He's been shown off in all three trailers so far, while others were switched out to show off the babbees and Rosalina.
Nintendo's got their priorities straight. :smirk:

Also, something about finally seeing Little Mac get a spot in the roster is giving me (unjustified) hope for Waluigi... *sigh*
I mean, he's most likely still riding the Assist Trophy train, but I feel that he'll be an inevitable addition in a future title.
...Some day.

TeamFlareZakk

I think if Ridley, Waluigi, or Reggie don't make it in, it's obviously Nintendo being racist against purple.
They removed my purple Ganondorf, and for what that poopy brown color, thee black one with the white hair was kind of cool, but I thought the poopy brown color kind of sucked.

@ Manny Toons Manny Toons this is why I suggested Wario having a Waluigi color scheme, we're probably not going to see him playable and a color scheme is better than nothing.

It works better on Wario because he's the Anti-Mario, however the Anti-Luigi that we want is not there, therefore I think the Waluigi color scheme would work better on Wario.

I'm not a fan of matches like Luigi vs Luigi, I think they're kind of dumb, Luigi's Waluigi color scheme just doesn't work, he looks nothing like Waluigi, he looks more like Mario in Mario Tennis when he wears the Waluigi color scheme if you play as the real Mario, and that's not a good way to represent Waluigi as a color scheme.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
They removed my purple Ganondorf, and for what that poopy brown color, thee black one with the white hair was kind of cool, but I thought the poopy brown color kind of sucked.

@ Manny Toons Manny Toons this is why I suggested Wario having a Waluigi color scheme, we're probably not going to see him playable and a color scheme is better than nothing.

It works better on Wario because he's the Anti-Mario, however the Anti-Luigi that we want is not there, therefore I think the Waluigi color scheme would work better on Wario.

I'm not a fan of matches like Luigi vs Luigi, I think they're kind of dumb, Luigi's Waluigi color scheme just doesn't work, he looks nothing like Waluigi, he looks more like Mario in Mario Tennis when he wears the Waluigi color scheme if you play as the real Mario, and that's not a good way to represent Waluigi as a color scheme.
The fact that Mario was given Wario's color scheme as an alt since the very beginning of Smash Bros. makes it only sensible that Luigi would get the color scheme of his rival. It'd be quite odd to focus Waluigi's character into Wario rather than the character that he emulates, Luigi (albeit in a negative fashion).

It just... makes sense. I mean, we don't see Mario with a Luigi alt or Luigi with a Mario alt, do we? Their respective green/red alternate colors are original and don't copy each other's default wear.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Luigi's Waluigi alt color mirrors the fact that Mario has always had that Wario alt. If you want to stretch it a bit, Wario has an alt that resembles Mario's original coloring (blue shirt, red overalls).

Moving the costume from Luigi to Wario would be absurd. If you want to give him the coloring, sure, just don't take it off of Luigi to do it.

D

Deleted member

If only NES Remix was really a game about Waluigi going Turbo and taking over classic NES titles....

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's Waluigi alt color mirrors the fact that Mario has always had that Wario alt. If you want to stretch it a bit, Wario has an alt that resembles Mario's original coloring (blue shirt, red overalls).

Moving the costume from Luigi to Wario would be absurd. If you want to give him the coloring, sure, just don't take it off of Luigi to do it.
So we can expect this as an alt for Waluigi in the future?

I hope so. ;)

If only NES Remix was really a game about Waluigi going Turbo and taking over classic NES titles....
This is what his first game needs to be. I've actually always imaged that a game featuring Waluigi would have something to do with him taking over the roles of previous characters. But mostly Mario-centric games. However, this is a far more interesting concept.

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
I can totally see the validity of moving the costume. It is quite odd to have Waluigi represented by his rival. When Mario had the Wario colours, there was no one else who could better represent Wario. Now there is another villain who is Waluigi's partner and wears the outfit, I can see the logic. However, getting rid of any colour is annoying for players who use them.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Not even just the representing Waluigi bit of it. It just seems odd that Mario kept the color even when Wario was added to the game, that it would suddenly be moved to Wario whether Waluigi appears or not.

But even so, it's not like a missing/moved color will really affect the game's quality.

Smady

Smash Master
The fact that Mario kept the costume only proves that Sakurai will likely not swap the costumes. The logic behind the switch I think is valid.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Also, Just thought I'd bring back up some discussion that was started a few months ago. That Waluigi needs a re-design giving him a bit more personality in order for him to get into smash.
Possibly gaining this personality extension in a guest appearance in a WarioWare game, a Luigi's mansion game or even debuting his new look in Super Smash.

Wario got the bikee re-design.

In past discussions two suggestions were an Italian mobster re-design or a magician re-design.

Sort of thing he could wear with the mobster re-design:

The magician re-design on the other hand could provide a very interesting moveset involving various stage type illusions. Not real magic, but just tricky illusions involving mirrors and cards and magic boxes.

Any more thoughts on how Waluigi could gain some personality to increase his chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom