• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wait, why is it DRACULA's Castle?

ElvishSpirit

Smash Apprentice
It seems odd that Project M chose this. And being a Castlevania fan, I guess it did excite me a little to find a castlevania stage, but it pretty simplistic stage with no obvious castlevania references, just a dark goomy castle.

Also, if you dont want to have licensing issues with the clone engine, then I would imagine the same goes for stages.

Why not make it BOWSER's Castle? It already has a decent and fitting base model, mario castle music, and a dark background, and its a stage that has never been in smash. Just make it...hotter, throw some bowser flags on it, add a couple goombas and koopas walking around, and boom, you just turned an out of place stage into a very fitting stage.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
It seems odd that Project M chose this. And being a Castlevania fan, I guess it did excite me a little to find a castlevania stage, but it pretty simplistic stage with no obvious castlevania references, just a dark goomy castle.
DID SOMEBODY SAY

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/287/7/f/goomy_by_theangryaron-d6qhdjc.png

After reading your whole post, no, you're not the only one. I like playing on the stage, it's fun using all the different platform setups, but I always felt it'd fit better if it was something like Bowser's Castle like you said.

As for their reasoning, I'm not sure, but their rules for characters are different than for stages, which is why Dracula's Castle and Skyloft are in. This is a recent development though, since Skyloft used to have the main theme from Skyward Sword playing on it, but it's the Brawl version of Hyrule Field's music playing on it now. So we can assume that they don't want to use music made after Brawl's release either.

...which means that, as a Castlevania fan I don't like that PMBR couldn't go the extra mile and give Dracula's Castle music from its series. I mean all of this points, at least to me, that PMBR should've just made it another stage visually.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Pretty sure it's not about the music being made after Brawl's release. I believe that the issue is that the Ballad of the Goddess isn't licensed for Brawl, nor is any Castlevania music.

Sorry, but you're not likely to see (hear?) any Castlevania music in an official release.

ElvishSpirit

Smash Apprentice
Well just to be clear, my point is I would rather see this become Bowsers Castle as it already has a caastle base and it has the 2 mario fortress songs in the stage, plus the other songs being generally dark. I really dont care about the castlevania music , id like to see the stage gone altogether!

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Why do people make threads about things that arent even i big deal? Look, you can replace ANY STAGE in the game, i dont see why people complain about things they can fix themselves

prisoner

Smash Cadet
there's a pretty fantastic Bowser's Castle stage that someone made that would be much more interesting than the current Castlevania stage... plus, if I recall, it has minimal hazards so it could probably be legal or at least cp.

if the Castlevania stage were a little more "alive" (hahaha), I'd say let's keep it, but right now it's not particularly great.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Why do people make threads about things that arent even i big deal? Look, you can replace ANY STAGE in the game, i dont see why people complain about things they can fix themselves
I agree, it didn't really require a thread to discuss.

On the other hand though, I completely understand their reasoning behind this. There are and have never been any Castlevania references in Smash, nor were there any Castlevania trophies or anything like that. It makes more sense to me as a Luigi's Mansion with the same layout. It kind of seems to me like it officially being a Castlevania stage could lead into possible legal troubles with Konami too, much like officially having Ballad of the Goddess on Skyloft could have.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
It's referred to as Dracula's Castle as it uses a stage called that from Castlevania judgement as the basis for the stage, hence why it really shows no reference to Castelvania other than tone, and the giant tower in the back which is reminiscent of the final stair case before Dracula.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
You know really they could just remove Castlevania from the SSS and they could pass it off as the actual Dracula (and definitely not of the sparkly variety).

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Dracula's Castle refers to Castlevania as much as Castle Siege refers to Fire Emblem. *shrug* Probably it's a copyright or licensing issue? It has no overtly obvious references so you can just point at it and go, "This isn't actually from that series in any way, just similar in tone maybe and kind of alludes to it. Also Dracula as a character has been in many works of fiction and is just a cultural icon at this point, you can't prove nuffin." That's my take on it, anyway.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Dracula's Castle refers to Castlevania as much as Castle Siege refers to Fire Emblem. *shrug* Probably it's a copyright or licensing issue? It has no overtly obvious references so you can just point at it and go, "This isn't actually from that series in any way, just similar in tone maybe and kind of alludes to it. Also Dracula as a character has been in many works of fiction and is just a cultural icon at this point, you can't prove nuffin." That's my take on it, anyway.
That would be true in this case, except the stage's series name specifically says Castlevania. If they took that out and put something else in it's place, then yeah, it'd work probably just fine.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
The truth is simple : this stage existed before PM, only with static platforms and a few tweaks here and there (a statue of a touhou char in the background ?). I'd find the brawlvault link but I'm on my phone right now.

So maybe the pmbr liked the potential of the stage and adapted it, or maybe the creator of the stage is part of the pmbr, but chronologically this was a Brawl stage before being a PM stage.

Now changing it to Bowser's castle, Ganon's castle or Mewtwo's castle could be a good idea, but it's additional work and probably low on the priority list of things to do before dec 9.

TL;DR it's called dracula because it was called dracula before being implemented into PM.

Granfalloon

Smash Cadet
no obvious castlevania references
It clearly has the iconic clock tower leading to Dracula's main room that has been in the CV games since the first one so...

Fortress

Smash Master
I say make it a bigger Fire Emblem stage. We have enough Mario stages, and to be honest, Castle Siege shouldn't be the only representation of its series.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
A Bowser's Castle stage sounds delicious. It's a lot more fitting to the Smash series to give a stage to an existing character too, especially one as popular as Bowser. I like the CV reference, but I don't think it's appropriate in P:M.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Dracula's Castle is as relevant as Hanenbow. Honestly could care less if the pmbr changes it, as long as it isn't ****ed up too badly because 'WE WANT MORE BOWSER SUPPORT.'

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I think it'd be a lot easier to just make it Luigi's Mansion again and not change the overall layout of the stage.

UberAndrew

Smash Cadet
Bowser Castle sounds like a perfect alternative to Draculas Castle.
Since they replaced that SSE forest stage they've shown they're willing to replace stages to make them fit better, so why not replace Draculas Castle with something that fits better in a Smash setting?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This stage clearly "fits" within the realms of the Castlevania as Dracula's Castle better than in the realm of Mario as Bowser's Castle, or Fire Emblem as any such Castle or Dungeon or fire-filled doom-ish location.

Really, it's best as a Castlevania stage, because it fits that the best, especially with the moving platforms. You don't see that in 2D Mario or Fire Emblem (heck, you don't see any platforms in Fire Emblem).

Nevergreen

This Subreddit Sucks
NNID
Nevergreen
3DS FC
0817-3854-3643
I like the stage as is. Castlevania fits just as well in a Smash setting as Sonic, Mega Man or Metal Gear. Maybe more so than Metal Gear, since the series' NES titles are so iconic.

Luigi's Mansion might be neat as second page stage, maybe over Rainbow Cruise or some other crappier stage.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo's Castle and or Island, storm and all, would be mighty sick.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Fire Emblem or Mewtwo's sounds great, but up to them, I guess.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I'm still surprised no one except me has mentioned making it Luigi's Mansion themed, considering the stage replaced Luigi's Mansion in the first place. Bowser never got his own game, and there's already a Fire Emblem stage.

It's the year of Luigi, right? Give the eternal second banana his stage back, officially.

Bleck

Smash Master
I think Castlevania fits into the Smash Bros. setting, but sort of... awkwardly without a character to also represent it. I like the Dracula's Castle stage, but here's hoping that we'll see a playable Simon Belmont in the future.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Gonna have to agree with the OP here. If limitations are being placed on characters due to copyright, the same should be applied to stages. If Castlevania gets a free pass you might as well start adding Final Fantasy lol.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I'm still surprised no one except me has mentioned making it Luigi's Mansion themed, considering the stage replaced Luigi's Mansion in the first place. Bowser never got his own game, and there's already a Fire Emblem stage.

It's the year of Luigi, right? Give the eternal second banana his stage back, officially.

I think Mewtwo2000 made Dracula's Castle Luigi's Mansion-themed for 2.5, but... Brawl Vault's currently down.

I like the stage as is. Castlevania fits just as well in a Smash setting as Sonic, Mega Man or Metal Gear. Maybe more so than Metal Gear, since the series' NES titles are so iconic.

Luigi's Mansion might be neat as second page stage, maybe over Rainbow Cruise or some other crappier stage.
For my current 2.6b build, I put the Mansion over Mario Circuit. For 3.0, I'm going to port Peach's Castle over Rainbow Cruise and put the Mansion back over Mario Circuit.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman

I suggest that every time I see this complaint come up lol

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
I say make it a bigger Fire Emblem stage. We have enough Mario stages, and to be honest, Castle Siege shouldn't be the only representation of its series.

lol i got into an argument with two guys bc i wasn't clear enough, and this is what i wanted, another FE stage considering there's three characters and only one stage that has a very momentum breaking transformation, while mario has a grand total of 6 characters plus a couple of stages

or

Mewtwo's Castle and or Island, storm and all, would be mighty sick.
This would be the sickest thing EVER

MVP

Smash Ace
It's not stolen. We contacted the creator of that stage to have his approval for editing it and including it in Project M way before Dracula's Castle was ever in a public release.
this should pretty much end the discussion...

officail PMBR statement

Top Bottom