• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wait...Exactly how awesome is SSBB going to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDUDE

Smash Ace
If I recall correctly, Hideo Kojima mentioned back in April or May that SSBB could sell millions in its current state. Keep in mind, that was 7 or 8 freaking months ago, and this comment was made by THE Hideo Kojima, the guy behind the Metal Gear Solid games, so I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.

If SSBB was great enough to sell millions over half a year ago, and it's been DELAYED to NEARLY 10 MONTHS AFTER THAT (keep in mind that SSBM took 10 months to make, and SSBB is taking nearly 28), how much more awesome are they making the game? Considering how it's taking them almost 3x as long to make SSBB as it did SSBM, and it could've been good enough to sell handsomely some time ago, I think this game is going to be a SERIOUS bombshell. It will be the killer app. of killer apps. Thoughts?

M.K

Level 55
Hopefully VERY awesome indeed.

I didn't WAIT 28 months for a piece of garbage :) Sakurai will die if it is!

Maben

Smash Journeyman
Approximately *THIS* awesome! Hmm...not sure how to put that in real terms but...well awesome enough. I can't wait for the Japan release just so I can soak in the details before I bring that baby home myself.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
From the looks of things so far it seems like it will be undoubtedly awesome for most casual players. What will decide exactly how awesome it will be overall will depend upon the game's competitiveness and tournament worthiness. This combined with all the other features could make it more awesome than can be contemplated by thoughts.

gigasteve

Smash Ace
Heck Yeah!

Did you really have to ask? Anyways, 28 months? Has there ever been a longer development time? That's AMAZING! I thought games took about a year. But then again "I hate to say it, but we really have thought of everything" speaks for itself. Maybe with all that time they made 50-60 characters!?! And for you non-believers, try this:
Melee=10 months=25 characters (about 30 including AR-only ones)
Brawl=10 months×2 4/5 =about 60 characters (though not likely)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
It'll be good, but if it doesn't have a competitive side it won't last as long as it should.

I played Melee casually for 4 years so I know.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Seriously...let us look at the list:

-Tons of money is going into this game.
-Tons of money going into the staff.
-"The Studio" is making this game. (My research tells me it's Capcom, the creator of the best selling fighting game series, Steet Figher)
-Tons of money is going into online.
-2 third party characters thus far confirmed, in which both are AWSOME! :)
-Awsome game combat system, that is fun and original, and never gets old.
-40 on up roster, all but guarenteed.
-Tons of techniques.
-40 plus stages.
-The Subspace Emissary, and it being 10 hours on up long!
-Classic mode is actually decent.
-Best DI EVER!
-Diddy Kong
-An actual story
-Stage builder; you make your own stages!
-There are infinite stages.
-Trophy collectables.
-two player Subspace Emissary story ADVENTURE! :)
-Sticker collectables.
-Odd and awsome combinations of teams in the Subspace Emissary.
-Items are much better then the last two games.
-A story with plots and twists.
-Assist Trophies.
-Bosses.
-Nintendo's biggest title, with more staff power then probably any other Nintendo game, EVER! Possibly even the most staff power for a single game, EVER! o_O
-Huge Roster.
-Customizable control schemes.
-At least around like 40 musicans working on a game, and most good games only have 3 musicans. Melee had AT MOST like 5! >_<
-4 control schemes.
-Over 12 companies making the game.
-3 taunts.
-It's Nintendo's biggest game this generation of gaming.
-Bet on matches.
-The Wii's BIGGEST TITLE!
-Watch a Brawl.
-Melee sold around 7 million units.
-Online.
-Get a new stage a day FOR THE REST OFF YOUR LIFE!
-Everything basically has multiplayer and online.
-"Guest" characters, colliding with Nintendo characters, and Nintendo's second party's characters.
-2P event matches.
-Event matches.
-TONS of Returning veterans!
-TONS of newcomers.
-Random characters.
-AAA grade characters.
-Tons of fighting styles under one game.
-This game IS it's own genre. It's a fighter, a (third person) shooter, a action game, a adventure game, a sports game (stock and KO style), and so on.
-The game is original.
-It's as original as a one of a kind game, like a game that is the only game in it's series.
-Surprise characters.
-The best of the best are making this.
-Probably over 200 people are making this game.
-At least 2-4 companies are almost SOLEY focusing on this game, or are now.
-The biggest names in gaming are working on this game.
-There are probably over 1,000 contributors to this game.
-Most musicans for a video game, EVER!
-It's epic.
-Fun, original pysics, that anyone (casual or competitive) can play, enjoy or love.
-Infinte replay value.
-Record videos (3 minutes, though).
-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Solid Snake
-The game NEVER will get old, EVER!

Is that enough for you=???

Puddin Master

Smash Apprentice
Man che me du nam, agha?

*Ahem* Sorry for the Farsi. The whole millions thing was probably an exagerration, but I expect SSBB's sales to be at least somewhat close to Halo 3's sales.

jigedysmashmo

Smash Cadet
Too bad online sucks donkey balls.
the online is gonna be cool..i could understand how it may not be at its full potential because of rankings and all that...but who cares....being able to fight online in smash at all is good enough for me...the game is gonna be awesome both online and off

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

-"The Studio" is making this game. (My research tells me it's Capcom, the creator of the best selling fighting game series, Steet Figher)
-Tons of techniques.
-40 plus stages.
-Best DI EVER!
-Diddy Kong
-An actual story
-Trophy collectables.
-Sticker collectables.
-Assist Trophies.
-Bosses.
-Nintendo's biggest title, with more staff power then probably any other Nintendo game, EVER! Possibly even the most staff power for a single game, EVER! o_O
-Huge Roster.
-At least around like 40 musicans working on a game, and most good games only have 3 musicans. Melee had AT MOST like 5! >_<
-4 control schemes.
-3 taunts.
-Bet on matches.
-Watch a Brawl.
-Online.
-"Guest" characters, colliding with Nintendo characters, and Nintendo's second party's characters.
-2P event matches.
-Event matches.
-TONS of newcomers.
-Random characters.
-AAA grade characters.
-This game IS it's own genre. It's a fighter, a (third person) shooter, a action game, a adventure game, a sports game (stock and KO style), and so on.
-The game is original.
-It's as original as a one of a kind game, like a game that is the only game in it's series.
-Surprise characters.
-It's epic.
-Fun, original pysics, that anyone (casual or competitive) can play, enjoy or love.
-Infinte replay value.
-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Solid Snake

Woot way to state all the reasons bud :cool:

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
Too bad online sucks donkey balls.
Online should be good for playing with friends close to you even if lag and poor implementation makes all other uses pointless. It may not be on par with current online games, but I think it still a very useful feature.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No. Where is wavedashing?
That's just one tech. Get over it, we'll find new, better ones. Besides, teching, shuffling, and L-cancelling are more important, and all are better. Fox can triple laser shuffle, L-cancelling is semi-automatic and the way it was in Melee AT THE SAME TIME (in other words, you can kill ALMOST ALL THE LAG, like in SSB64). YOu can now even tech off roofs, and do crazy stuff like taht. The game will be competitve, andmore competitve then Melee because the series has grown in popularity. Online will lead to competitive play, and everyone getting better, faster.

And we get new techs! Techs we don't know. We learned well over 5 new techs in JUST the Brawl demo. Edge Hugging is WAYYY faster then wavedashing to Edge hog, tripping, triple laser spamming, and so on. There will be new stuff. In the final game, I can guarentee we'll find like 10-20 universal techs. NJK. Sakurai likes our exploits, and he basically said so. He said along the lines of there are certain secrets in the game that are waiting to be discovered. Looking at how we took smash 64 and SSB Melee's pyshics-we'll do it again. And we'll do it in a year, thanks to a bigger tournament and online scene.

And it's good online doesn't have a rankning-system, actually. Leaves more focus on actual tournaments, and uplifts the touranment scene, instead of competiting with it.

Edit: If you aren't BEYOND EXCITED with the list on the last page, there is something is wrong with you. If you don't think that's enough, there is more. There will be A LOT MORE! We will make the game-the fans-again. Like we did with the last two smash games. It will be fun, and the competition will be fiercely great! Especially with online! :)

And the online might not look to be too good now, but it will probably be very stable. Like better then SSB64 on kaillera without desyncing good. Might not have enough options, but it will probably be added later in the game if it isn't in the original game.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
In the sense Melee did the same thing and it was a rush job compared to the development time in Brawl. People would have boughten Brawl in the original idea of Melee w/ Wifi before Sakurai and his team reworked the entire idea. But then again time will tell for sure, but it seems promising at the moment.

In response to the worriness over the competitive sense: Just wait and see what happens really, and in term of sales. In the unlikely chance the competitive scene doesn't take off. Purchases related to the tournment scene itself usually accure long after the intial sale of a game. Which most of the time has a larger sales figure in a shorter period of time. So even if that doesn't happen it will still sell penetly even if it doesn't last nearly as long,

But all and all, all this worry over the depth right now is rahter pointless other then to cure boredom and wait.

@Hypnotist

Hm? We're all aware of Nintendo's lackish Online policy since before even Brawl began development. doesn't really add much to restate that at this point.

jigedysmashmo

Smash Cadet
That's just one tech. Get over it, we'll find new, better ones. Besides, teching, shuffling, and L-cancelling are more important, and all are better. Fox can triple laser shuffle, L-cancelling is semi-automatic and the way it was in Melee AT THE SAME TIME (in other words, you can kill ALMOST ALL THE LAG, like in SSB64). YOu can now even tech off roofs, and do crazy stuff like taht. The game will be competitve, andmore competitve then Melee because the series has grown in popularity. Online will lead to competitive play, and everyone getting better, faster.

And we get new techs! Techs we don't know. We learned well over 5 new techs in JUST the Brawl demo. Edge Hugging is WAYYY faster then wavedashing to Edge hog, tripping, triple laser spamming, and so on. There will be new stuff. In the final game, I can guarentee we'll find like 10-20 universal techs. NJK. Sakurai likes our exploits, and he basically said so. He said along the lines of there are certain secrets in the game that are waiting to be discovered. Looking at how we took smash 64 and SSB Melee's pyshics-we'll do it again. And we'll do it in a year, thanks to a bigger tournament and online scene.

And it's good online doesn't have a rankning-system, actually. Leaves more focus on actual tournaments, and uplifts the touranment scene, instead of competiting with it.

Edit: If you aren't BEYOND EXCITED with the list on the last page, there is something is wrong with you. If you don't think that's enough, there is more. There will be A LOT MORE! We will make the game-the fans-again. Like we did with the last two smash games. It will be fun, and the competition will be fiercely great! Especially with online! :)

I agree with everything you said! im getting to excited for this game again lol

Red Exodus

Smash Master

Nah, there has to be WDing. It's real pretty.

sonicspeed 96

Smash Journeyman

-Tons of techniques.
-40 plus stages.
-Best DI EVER!
-Diddy Kong
-An actual story
-Trophy collectables.
-Sticker collectables.
-Assist Trophies.
-Bosses.
-Huge Roster.
-4 control schemes.
-3 taunts.
-Bet on matches.
-Watch a Brawl.
-Online.
-2P event matches.
-Event matches.
-TONS of newcomers.
-Random characters.
-AAA grade characters.
-The game is original.
-Surprise characters.
-It's epic.
-Infinte replay value.
-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Solid Snake

1 word.
WOW.
I didn't think the game would turn out like that.
after all this updates that we've been getting : Garbage.
I just hope Sakurai's hiding all of this from us and won't say it till release.

perpetual ownage

Smash Journeyman
Wavedashing is out and Sonic is in. Online is terrible. Friend codes, no voice chat. No ranking system. You can't even see your opponents names. I hope it is good but it looks too much like a party game. If it sucks, I'm switching to Tekken or sticking with Melee.

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman
Wavedashing is out and Sonic is in. Online is terrible. Friend codes, no voice chat. No ranking system. You can't even see your opponents names. I hope it is good but it looks too much like a party game. If it sucks, I'm switching to Tekken or sticking with Melee.
You need some cheese to go with your vintage whine.

^cookie to whoever gets the ref.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Online should be good for playing with friends close to you even if lag and poor implementation makes all other uses pointless. It may not be on par with current online games, but I think it still a very useful feature.
Quit defending the online. There's no rooms. You can't even do one on one matches, and you will have to play with a ton of newbs with items because there's no ranking system. Oh yeah, and the worse part, no stock. What the phuck is that? Nintendo/Sakurai just can't except good gamers. I mean,the online is awful. I can't seriously beilve there isn't something besides basic brawl, there better be.

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman
Quit defending the online. There's no rooms. You can't even do one on one matches, and you will have to play with a ton of newbs with items because there's no ranking system. Oh yeah, and the worse part, no stock. What the phuck is that? Nintendo/Sakurai just can't except good gamers. I mean,the online is awful. I can't seriously beilve there isn't something besides basic brawl, there better be.
That's a very competitive way to look at things. It's not perfect(by a long shot), but some of the gripes about it aren't so bad.

Mario77

Smash Apprentice
the online is gonna be cool..i could understand how it may not be at its full potential because of rankings and all that...but who cares....being able to fight online in smash at all is good enough for me...the game is gonna be awesome both online and off
Online probly gona be lag filled... and the freinds code thing is inferior to like X bawks live... the online mode has its flaws but at least we have online for once... Smash bros dominates even without any online at all... smash bros owns

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
We don't know the full extent of the online. We dont know how the options are set in freind matches. Pretty sure when you make a match invite you will be able to set everything; like items, stage, stock or not. Not in anyone brawl, because its random.

Just read this in the Wi-fi play update: "With friends, you can brawl any way you like. And there are other modes besides just free-for-alls."

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Oh my gosh, you may have to play with worse players and not set settings we don't even know if you can or cannot change... ... ...

Get over it and yourself for that matter. :laugh:

You are so caught up in your specific view on a subject that the moment anyone has a point FOR or even TOLERATING the online at all you find it necessary to repoint out the same thing over and over again.

perpetual ownage said:
Online sucks so bad, I would rather there not be an online at all.
Then don't use it... no one forcing it on you.

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman
Oh my gosh, you may have to play with worse players and not set settings we don't even know if you can or cannot change... ... ...

Get over it and yourself for that matter. :laugh:

You are so caught up in your specific view on a subject that the moment anyone has a point FOR or even TOLERATING the online at all you find it necessary to repoint out the same thing over and over again.

Then don't use it... no one forcing it on you.
Like I said, very competitive way to look at things.

perpetual ownage

Smash Journeyman
I will use it. I have friends in Japan. I just wish that it had voice chat. It's also gonna lag filled. There is alot wrong with the online. The Hypnotist pretty much covered all the flaws already. I'm just very dissapointed with it. Nintendo sucks at online.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Like I said, very competitive way to look at things.
It has nothing to do with being competitive or casual it's more about being one-sided to only your own mindset. Believe me I have nothing against either side of issue, I perfer to point at inviduals not groups :laugh:

NDUDE

Smash Ace
If you're being sarcastic, then please stop spamming my thread. If not, then please go die in a fire. No, but seriously, Melee doesn't even HAVE online, and yet it is a KICKASS game. You're complaining about an EXTRA thing that Melee DOESN'T HAVE? *facepalm* Also, if you don't like Sonic, deal with it. Beat him up or something. If you're complaining about no Wavedashing, then go play SSB64 and tell me that's not a great game without it.

NDUDE

Smash Ace
I will use it. I have friends in Japan. I just wish that it had voice chat. It's also gonna lag filled. There is alot wrong with the online. The Hypnotist pretty much covered all the flaws already. I'm just very dissapointed with it. Nintendo sucks at online.
Of course it will have some lag. Action-packed running at 60FPS across the globe? You have to understand this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom