• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VS'ing Samus

HAKU

Smash Apprentice
I find VS'ing my friends Samus a bit difficult with my Falco.
I'm always unsure of what to use or do against them.
If there's any tips or hints on how to play against a Samus,
It will be very much appreciated :)

Adi

Smash Lord
What are you talking about, if you mean shine combos, than say shine combos. Pillaring is a term to reference using shine-dair to pressure someone's shield and NO you cannot pillar a Samus or they will up-B you out of it.

Make sure to spam lasers like no other, that is a key in this battle. Pick big levels if you can (FD/Pokemon Stadium), and don't try to pressure their shield with aerials, grab a good amount too.

The main thing you have to worry about is getting gimped with a smash attack/missle/chargeshot. As long as you play defensive you should be safe.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Take him to pokefloats. And laser the hell out of him.

In all reality, practice spacing your lasers out, and being able to adjust their height. Also, approach with Nairs and Dairs more often. You want to control his mobility, and make sure his missile gayness doesn't get into full swing. You can also try approaching with empty shuffles, so he jumps around to avoid it. Once YOU train him into dodging habits, you can punish them, and it's all over for him.

Against his recovery, laser when he's at the appropriate height. If you are going to edgehog, roll onto the stage and f-smash. Or just chill there and D-smash. Samus has an extremely annoying recovery, so just make sure it doesn't hit you all the time. Which reminds me, if he's shielding a lot, just laser camp until he learns to stop. It's better than always getting up-b'ed by him.

HAKU

Smash Apprentice
wow so much replies~~
thanks so much all the people that have helped me~ :D
keep the tips coming please~!!

Big_R

Smash Champion
You have to spam lasers and choose when to get in and out. If you're spamming then he should be shielding, so you should throw in some grabs for offense, because if you shffl something into him he will probably up b you. Watch for the crouch cancel into d smash, and try not to come right on the stage. You need to mix that up or he will probably wd back for a f smash or something. If they sh missle cancel then watch Yoshi's story and Stadium. Basically dance in and out with lasers and reverse lasers until you see and opening. FD isn't a bad stage for that. I guess some where where the Samus is forced to jump a lot may be good, but Samus does have a decent up air if you try to come over top when they jump in a place like Poke floats.

So you have to be patient, spam lasers, and watch out for gimps. At least that's how i try to play it.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Lol don't pillar Samus.

Get a lot of horizontal distance while spamming lasers. What I mean is, full running-speed short-hop at Samus (from a distance), firing your blaster and fast-falling, then run backwards and short-hop asap, then fire a reverse blaster back at Samus. Keep doing this. Forever. That's how you win the match.

If you somehow run out of stage, just space an approaching short-hop blaster to forward tilt. Don't try to dair Samus' shield. Nairs can work if you space them well.

If Samus' misses a grab, grab her back. Don't hit her with something weak that she'll just CC and punish you for.

If you get hit off the level, don't use your midair right away. You'll need it to avoid her tricky edge-guarding.

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
To beat samus you must always put pressure on her with lasers.Usely this will piss the opponent off like crazy,I've done this on a samus at a couple tourneys before.Next is you don't want to shine to dair.Whenever samus fails a grab punish her with a grab,smash attack or dtilt if you want.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Switch to the cap'n for this matchup, you have no chance to survive! Samus has priority, like ****, priority, and you can't match it, and your shield pressure game doesn't work, and you can't kill her.

For offense, cross her up with a neutral air; i.e. space a laser right in front at the tip of ftilt range then n-air through and land on the other side, and then just start uptilting, puts Samus in a tough spot. Use mindgames, don't be predictable at all, this includes avoiding spamming lasers constantly, though try to put as many into her as you can. Use the platforms to move around, you really just want to avoid the area that she can jump into so you don't get knocked over, because that's when the tech-chasing goes down.

Adi

Smash Lord
Lol don't pillar Samus.

Get a lot of horizontal distance while spamming lasers. What I mean is, full running-speed short-hop at Samus (from a distance), firing your blaster and fast-falling, then run backwards and short-hop asap, then fire a reverse blaster back at Samus. Keep doing this. Forever. That's how you win the match.

If you somehow run out of stage, just space an approaching short-hop blaster to forward tilt. Don't try to dair Samus' shield. Nairs can work if you space them well.

If Samus' misses a grab, grab her back. Don't hit her with something weak that she'll just CC and punish you for.

If you get hit off the level, don't use your midair right away. You'll need it to avoid her tricky edge-guarding.
That's basically what I said :lick:

Sony

Smash Apprentice
i dont know how u have trouble against samus, i have it the other way around, my samus gets ***** by falcos anyway yeah just SHL samus

Oakie

Smash Apprentice
truly the trick to vsing a samus is....dont.

even a good falco will fall short to a decent samus. but if u absolutely must, u have to play extremely gay, do shl alot and play the safe game. laser>laser>aerial = crap, her up b kills that. she'll most likely CC to a dsmash everything possible.

i would advice extreme caution, to the point of not doing it, its not safe man

HAKU

Smash Apprentice
thanks for the help phanna, Adi etc. :D

some ppl suggested not to play falco at this point but then who should i play?

Top Bottom