• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vs. Marth

DemonicInfluence

Smash Ace
The main problem I have with marth is that he can double fair and dodge everything I throw at him. Mainly with charizard and ivysaur.

With Ivysaur:
If I razor leaf, he dodges.
If I attempt aerial, his own me usually.
If I try to run away, he's faster.
Shield grabbing fails against his ->B

The only thing that sometimes works is dash back a little and smash backwards..

With Charizard:
Once again, double fairs **** me. They like burn through the shield.
Flamethrower doesn't have enough height usually to hit him.
And tilts don't have enough vertical height to hit him..

I also get owned by counter, but that's just getting mind-gamed, at least I hope so.

Any tips on how to beat him?

squiser

Smash Apprentice
I rely heavily on my Ivysaur to beat Marth. Just play the spacing game with him - bair is particularly good for this, as it outranged his fair easily. Use Razor Leaf to pressure him, and watch for the opportunity to shieldgrab when he's in close. All in all just play it safe. Remember you have more range than he does.

mmmCJ

Smash Cadet
marths are easy for me to beat with charizard. i just space my self and play it smart. i use rock smash to get in because charizard gets buff armor when he does it

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
ivysaur is probably the best pokemon in this match up, razor leaf owns marth, forces him to approach, and when he does, u can out range him with ivysaur's tilts. charizard can work well, but i have the most problems trying to use squirtle against marth, it just doesnt work out for me, lol.

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
bairs and razor leafs are KEY. if he just stands still and dodges the razor leafs, keep spamming them, eventually he's either gonna screw up or be forced to approach.

Bair is what lets you have any chance at competing with marth's range. know its range like the back of your hand. sweetspotted up+b's are nice too but i dont find that the opportunity always arises that often.

IF he gets closer than you want (i.e. inside the arc of your bairs) then pull out some ftilts, shieldgrabs, utilts, anything to make him back off a little. Well placed bullet seeds can be vital.

haven't played a good marth in brawl yet. but id imagine that it's an unforgiving matchup. be at your best.

squirtle you're gonna have to rely on some solid mindgames. perfect shielding into grabs seems like it would be nice, but dunno if that's always an option. In general I wouldn't approach with aerials because he can just outrange them all. Shellshifting will probably help immensely here.

Won't say much about charizard since mine is rather mediocre. Abuse his grab range though. If you can play some trixies with flamethrowers, that works too.

I'd say stay away from the edge, as it's the "danger zone" against marth, but that's just my melee experience talking.

DemonicInfluence

Smash Ace
Hmmm.. I'll try to take all your advice into account. The weird thing is that I find squirtle to be the easiest matchup :(

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
it's not =terribly= weird. depends on playstyle and whatnot. if you found ivy to be a horrible matchup, then maybe i'd raise an eyebrow at that.

DemonicInfluence

Smash Ace
Actually I did... I found charizard and squrtle to be about even. And ivysaur = me gets *****. The weird thing is that I like ivysaur the best...

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
hey, whatever works.
unfortunately i dont yet have enough concrete experience with this matchup to give you any definitive answers.

Top Bottom